Battlereefs "supercube"

BattlesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After taking a brief break from the hobby. Mainly due to moving and being busy with work, I am starting my new project. I had a Biocube years ago, hence the name, and always wanted to mod every thing on it. Well I have started to build my "dream" biocube, If you can dream about a biocube lol. This time I told myself I am doing it right. Everything new, everything exactly the way I want. I started off with a standard Coralife biocube and stand and began from there. I want the final result to look like a completely stock biocube, but perform like a top notch reef tank. I have done a fair amount of work over the past few weeks and still have a lot more to do. I am open to any ideas or suggestion you guys might have so please feel free to comment, good or bad. Let me know what you guys think.

List of plans:
1. Convert lighting to T5 &LED
2. Drill tank for overflow and return
3. Build custom sump that will fit in stand
4. Have essential and advanced equipment (vortech, calcium reactor, ATO, Skimmer, etc)

Here is the tank bone stock. Got it from Moby Dick's
tank_zps34985552.jpg

T5 parts. GLO ballast kit and 2 18" bulbs. Will most likely go to 4 in the near future
T5parts_zps417f5737.jpg

Reef Octopus NW-110 skimmer
skimmer_zps3b0c7a80.jpg

The start to the light conversion. ripped out all the old equipment, including the crap LED's they provide. Installed 2 12" stunner strips. Actinic and 10K+Red
lightconv_zpse2efe45d.jpg

All wired up with the two bulbs and ballast.
lightconv2_zps48a2d2cd.jpg

Upgrade fits under the stock plexi with no cutting.
lightconvfinal_zps6152228a.jpg

Drilling a brand new tank is allways fun........
drilling_zps69184558.jpg

Finished drilling. Used a 1" for overflow and 3/4" for return
drilldone_zps5d2551fe.jpg

Got some of the plumbing done until the custom sump is built
plumb_zpsc3b12705.jpg

plumb2_zps4c972a46.jpg

Here is the aquascape. I think it turned out quite nice. Lots of shelves for coral.
aquascape_zps9020343c.jpg

Overview shot of the tank. I like that looking at the picture you would think it is still a 100% stock biocube.
tankoverview_zpsd42dab7f.jpg

Here are the plans for my sump. I have since modified them a bit. I am no longer going to have the two holes in the side. originally was going to be used to make water changes easier, however I did not want to sacrifice the size of the sump to save me 30 seconds during a water change. I also made the dimension 18x17 instead of 18x15. will hopefully have the sump in the next week or two. will post pics when it is done. As far as the refugium goes. I am going to use the second chamber in the back of the tank as my refugium. that way the sump has plenty of room for equipment. Mainly a oversized skimmer.
sumptopview_zps8bf22fdc.jpg

sumpsideview_zps81a0fa7f.jpg

Also going to be going with a bare bottom in the tank. I have been thinking a lot about it and after seeing a few in person thats the way im going to go.

Like I mentioned before, this is just the start of the project and still have a long way to go. I have big plans for this tank and think it will turn out nice. Let me know if you have any questions or ideas for me. Thanks for looking!

NanoNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow nice!! What will you house in the tank SPS? LPS? any plans for the fish you want in there yet?

OP
OP
BattlesReef

BattlesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the nice comments. I really appreciate it. As far as live stock goes, I plan to have mainly SPS and chalice with a few play's. being that I am very limited on real estate I plan to only have high end pieces. For fish, plan (my wife) to have a small tang for a year until he needs a new home. Either a yellow, purple, or hippo. Again only getting a very small tang and relocate him when necessary. I would like to have one more, possibly a wrasse but I'm not 100% yet. If you guys have any ideas I'm defiantly up for suggestions.

CoryC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it, but I'm not positive you'll have great growth with that lighting combo. Stunner strips have some par, and t5s have decent par but you need more than a couple bulbs. I use stunner strips that stay on 24/7 because the moonlights on my hqi hood didn't work. What stopped you from going hqi? Love the sump design and everything else.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the nice comments. I really appreciate it. As far as live stock goes, I plan to have mainly SPS and chalice with a few play's. being that I am very limited on real estate I plan to only have high end pieces. For fish, plan (my wife) to have a small tang for a year until he needs a new home. Either a yellow, purple, or hippo. Again only getting a very small tang and relocate him when necessary. I would like to have one more, possibly a wrasse but I'm not 100% yet. If you guys have any ideas I'm defiantly up for suggestions.

Good choices IMO and on the Wrasse: make sure it is one that stays small and that it is really reef safe. Many wrasse are not but there are some. Have a screen over the tank as some are jumpers ... And yes good idea ... once they get a bit too large, move them or trade them for something else.

A real nice one is the Tanaka wrasse .. very small but also very shy. But there are other small ones that are reef safe. Here is a link for you that shows a large number of them with reviews of each : Wrasses-Reef Safe

Hope this helps.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tailspot Blenny that was suggested is great indeed. Some small gobies maybe with their shrimp if you get a shrimp goby. There are plenty around that are small. I have a Yellow Rose one in my tank with a shrimp and of course you definitely need a sandy bottom so they can dig a burrow.

OP
OP
BattlesReef

BattlesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks every one for the input. Going to stay away from pistol shrimp just for the fact I am going bare bottom. The 2 bulb is only temporary. I am putting in 2 more bulbs very soon. 4 T5's and the stunners for accent will be plenty of light. I didn't want to go hqi because I like the color I have personally achieved with T5 over MH. And I want to have the original canopy

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks every one for the input. Going to stay away from pistol shrimp just for the fact I am going bare bottom. The 2 bulb is only temporary. I am putting in 2 more bulbs very soon. 4 T5's and the stunners for accent will be plenty of light. I didn't want to go hqi because I like the color I have personally achieved with T5 over MH. And I want to have the original canopy

Yes BB no shrimp gobies ... and on the lights the other big diff is $$. MH's cost a lot to run .. :)

grumpy-crab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished drilling. Used a 1" for overflow and 3/4" for return
drilldone_zps5d2551fe.jpg

I too started with a bc29 so i under stand where your coming from... seem you have a good start :) but i have one concern that your over flow and return sizes are not matched up properly. A general rule of thumb is the over flow needs to be double the size of the return line. I have a 29g standard now thats drilled with 1" over flow amd 1/2" return running a mag 3 pump. Just my .02 :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

OP
OP
BattlesReef

BattlesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I defiantly agree with you on the plumbing. Only reason I went with 3/4 instead of 1/2 is I already had the bits and some of the fittings lol. I will make sure my pump is sized accordingly for my overflow. I plan to finish the plumbing for the return tonight. I will post pics when I get home

grumpy-crab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i was just making sure :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back