OP
BattlesReef

BattlesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The word on the street is true, I filled the tank this afternoon. No leeks, everything works as planned and is very quiet. I couldnt be happier with how everything is performing. Now I get to hurry up and wait....... I still need to install the ATO, calcium reactor and PH controller, but I am almost there. The lighting also looks really good, the LED accent looks amazing.

sump-1.jpg

FTS.jpg

This was taken with just the LED's on.
LED-1.jpg

Here is a shot with full light
fulllight.jpg

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Glad to see that you got it running and had no issues and are pleased with it all. Great looking set up it is !

OP
OP
BattlesReef

BattlesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol thanks everyone for the interest. I have been swamped with work the past few weeks. I will post an update sometime this week.

OP
OP
BattlesReef

BattlesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got a few minutes and thought I would share an update. Tank is starting to come together. The cycle completed about a week ago and I have started to add livestock. It doesnt look like much now being that it is brand new but once I get all the pieces I plan to and they have time to grow and color up I think it will turn out nice. I get all of my coral from JimC. For those of you that do not know who he is, he is one of the best reefers around. He is extremely good at what he does and is glad to share his experience with you. He has always given me extremely fair prices and lots of info. thanks again bud! And just to be clear I am no photographer lol. These are all teken with my iphone with all the lights on, nothing special. Let me know what you guys think.

So here is the list of things I have added.

Misc clean up crew, snails, hermit crabs, etc.

FISH:
Baby Hippo tang (I know I know, he will be well cared for until he is in need of a larger home)
2 tank raised Bengai's
Lubbocks Wrasse

CORALS:
Aussie Gold Acro
Bird of Paradise
Hawkins Blue
PC Rainbow Acro
Rainbow Acan
Red Hornets
ORA Borialis Acro
Starburst Monti
2 - unknown wild caught acros
JimC's Bonsai
Red Planet
Baby's Breath Favia
Little Princess Favia
Tyree 4 color Chalice
Miami Hurricane chalice
Mt Dew Chalice
Green Milli
Undata Monti
3 or so others that I dont remember the name

undata_zps49093dc8.jpg

starburst_zpsbe9912fe.jpg

milli_zps2d9dd40b.jpg

miamihurricane_zps46cc15d5.jpg

chalice_zps28add050.jpg

rainbowacan_zpse5c202f7.jpg

One of my favorite acros. doesnt look like much now but when they grow out they are stunning. Aussie Gold
aussiegold_zpsde4e8405.jpg

I decided to add the fuge to my sump instead of one of the rear chamber of the cube. That way I can still easily perform any maintenance that might pop up.
fuge_zps05057368.jpg

And a FTS. I know it doesnt look like much. I hope to have a much better FTS by the next update.
FTS_zps05baab5e.jpg

Last edited:

Swine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is how you set up a tank!

When i got mine i wasn't sure if id like the hobby and did lots of lazy work arounds. Should have just done it like this. But there was only one way to learn. Diy

Love the electrical too. I just bought various power strips to get the same effect but Im totally stealing your idea with the switch board.

Cant wait to see how you get the reactors ect in there.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
BattlesReef

BattlesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is how you set up a tank!

When i got mine i wasn't sure if id like the hobby and did lots of lazy work arounds. Should have just done it like this. But there was only one way to learn. Diy

Love the electrical too. I just bought various power strips to get the same effect but Im totally stealing your idea with the switch board.

Cant wait to see how you get the reactors ect in there.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Thank you very much. I have set-up quite a few tanks now and you learn a little bit each time. This one is still far from ideal, however, until I win the lottory I fear thats what I will have to live with lol. anyway I thought I had put a picture of this up but I guess not. I didnt want to sacrifice any room in the stand, that way I could have as big of a sump as possible. So in order to have my storage, misc equipment, reactors etc, I picked up a small cabinet from Meijer. I think It was like $60. The doors have shelving built in which Is perfect for most cases, except mine lol. My ATO tank is wider than the shelving would allow so I had to modify the doors to only have the shelving on the very top. Not a big deal at all, 1 quick pass with a skill saw and it was fine. I have recently decided to change my direction as far as the Calcium dosing. My original plans were to have a reactor but there were 2 major obsatcles that I dont see winning. First the shear area the equipment camands, reactor, CO2 tank, regulators, etc. second I have been doing some research and found that people have not had that great of luck with running a reactor on this amount of water volume. So my solution is to run a 2 part dosing system. BRS sells a complete set-up with the chemicals for under $200 which would barely put a dent on a tank and regulator for a reactor. I will house all of that equipment in this cabinet. I think I will have much better results doing it this way. I will be able to closely monitor my cunsumption and program my Reef Keeper to match.

incab_zps4d0ecd0b.jpg

tankandcab_zpse4736fed.jpg

OP
OP
BattlesReef

BattlesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BRS 2 part system came today! I will begin to install it over the next few days. I am not in a huge hurry to get it up in running for the fact that I dont have a high demand for dosing yet. I think I am 3-4 weeks away from really needing it. Corals are all doing very good. Color looks great and they are all growing. I plan to house all of this in my secondary stand and pipe over the lines. The Reefkeeper will run the control as well. Over the next few weeks I am going to begin monitoring the calcium and alk and record all the data. I wont set the program and put the system into service until the numbers show a consistant daily drop. I imagine it will increase exponentially over the next 2 weeks.
photo1-1_zps6ee61ecd.jpg

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BRS 2 part system came today! I will begin to install it over the next few days. I am not in a huge hurry to get it up in running for the fact that I dont have a high demand for dosing yet. I think I am 3-4 weeks away from really needing it. Corals are all doing very good. Color looks great and they are all growing. I plan to house all of this in my secondary stand and pipe over the lines. The Reefkeeper will run the control as well. Over the next few weeks I am going to begin monitoring the calcium and alk and record all the data. I wont set the program and put the system into service until the numbers show a consistant daily drop. I imagine it will increase exponentially over the next 2 weeks.

Nice Nice Nice .... following ...

OP
OP
BattlesReef

BattlesReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had some spare time tonight and ended up finishing the install of the 2 part dosing system. I decided to get rid of the 5G ATO tank and replace it with a 1G jug. I dont have enough usage to justify the much needed space. Everything turned out quite nice and I am looking forward to putting it into service. I also purchased hanna checkers for alk and cal. spending $25 on a test kit that is a pain in the butt to use and not very accurate, didnt make sense to me. So I picked them up from BRS. I think it will be well worth the money when you consider the fact that I will be testing these levels daily for the next few months.

Shot of the tank and stand overview. I like it for the the fact that you cant see anyof the equipment.
photo1-1_zpsc8347067.jpg

inside the secondary stand turned out nice. With the 5G tank gone I had room for the 2 jugs.
photo2-1_zpsef08c077.jpg

Here are the Hanna meters I picked up today. Very easy to use and very accurate.
206202-Hanna-Checker-Calcium-Colorimeter-a_1_zps26de758a.jpg

206201-Hanna-Checker-Alkalinity-Colorimeter-a_1_zps59294b5d.jpg

Hopefully I will have some better coral pics for you guys soon!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had some spare time tonight and ended up finishing the install of the 2 part dosing system. I decided to get rid of the 5G ATO tank and replace it with a 1G jug. I dont have enough usage to justify the much needed space. Everything turned out quite nice and I am looking forward to putting it into service. I also purchased hanna checkers for alk and cal. spending $25 on a test kit that is a pain in the butt to use and not very accurate, didnt make sense to me. So I picked them up from BRS. I think it will be well worth the money when you consider the fact that I will be testing these levels daily for the next few months.

Shot of the tank and stand overview. I like it for the the fact that you cant see anyof the equipment.
inside the secondary stand turned out nice. With the 5G tank gone I had room for the 2 jugs.
Here are the Hanna meters I picked up today. Very easy to use and very accurate.

Hopefully I will have some better coral pics for you guys soon!

Moving all I can see ... more and more has been coming in ! Great

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back