Battling algae for months

Misha

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 18, 2019
Messages
289
Reaction score
189
Location
the Netherlands
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I've been battling this algae for a couple months now and I can't get rid of it... I can really use some help, quitting this awesome hobby has crossed my mind..
It's a very slimy fuzzy looking brown algae/bacteria. I've tried sucking it of, which reduces it a lot but only the top layer, the bottom which is attached to the rocks is not coming of neither with brushing. On the sand bed it's a thick plaque.
After the weekend I'm going to send an ICP test but here are the params I know:
nitrate 2
phosphate 0.03
salinity: 1.025
temp: 25 Celsius

IMG20220604211630.jpg IMG20220604211635.jpg IMG20220604211651.jpg
 
I see this type every now and then in my sump clinging to my media blocks in small pieces.
Do you have lights in your sump? I don't see it in my sump without lights/refugium
 
Hello,
I've been battling this algae for a couple months now and I can't get rid of it... I can really use some help, quitting this awesome hobby has crossed my mind..
It's a very slimy fuzzy looking brown algae/bacteria. I've tried sucking it of, which reduces it a lot but only the top layer, the bottom which is attached to the rocks is not coming of neither with brushing. On the sand bed it's a thick plaque.
After the weekend I'm going to send an ICP test but here are the params I know:
nitrate 2
phosphate 0.03
salinity: 1.025
temp: 25 Celsius

IMG20220604211630.jpg IMG20220604211635.jpg IMG20220604211651.jpg
I’ve generally seen them described as this;

https://lifeofplant.blogspot.com/2011/05/chrysophytes.html
 
Retested po4 and no3:
po4 = 0.03 Hanna checker
no3 = 0.2ish salifert
Might be locked up in the algae but started dosing no3 after some reading
 
Retested po4 and no3:
po4 = 0.03 Hanna checker
no3 = 0.2ish salifert
Might be locked up in the algae but started dosing no3 after some reading
That’s a good move imo
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new