Battling algae in a new tank

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning R2R

I was hoping for a bit of guidance here. I am on the 4th month with this tank and I’m having a hard time keeping nitrates stable. If I cut back my feeding I feel like the fish/inverts are not getting enough food.

When I feed what I feel is just the right amount for everyone to grab something, it ends up being too much and pollutes my water.

I have 1 tail spot blenny
1 mandarin
5 sexy shrimps
1 pedersons shrimp
And about 10 hermits and 5 snails

noticed a whole lot of algae building up on frags, and rocks. Especially the monti frag I just moved from the bottom glass to the top of the rock work. The algae seems like a champ but at the same time not really.

is it cyano so I just need to watch how much I feed? Or is this something else?

I do one or two 10% wc a week

C35174F7-8095-45C2-B52C-7B8493AC2370.jpeg A32DA914-3DFF-4490-A1BE-09673211AB45.jpeg 8217829E-FE2B-44FC-BA87-FFD6AFF40248.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets start with the obvious, it's a bare bottom. Your going to go through many tough times before the system evens out.

Bare bottom is nice, but it comes with it's own set of issues, and the length of time for the system to stabilize. Tank is way to young to keep things stable, specially being bare bottom.

I should probably mention that a mandarin dragonette unless being fed pods daily, should never be in a system that is only 4 months old.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank still going through the uglies. I could go off on a big rant of ‘what are your levels’. The bigger question I have for you..what is your nutrient export approach? Macro algae? Skimmer? Filter floss? I think this is going to be your saving grace. Get a good nutrient export and over feeding is not really a problem.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank still going through the uglies. I could go off on a big rant of ‘what are your levels’. The bigger question I have for you..what is your nutrient export approach? Macro algae? Skimmer? Filter floss? I think this is going to be your saving grace. Get a good nutrient export and over feeding is not really a problem.
This x 1,000,000!

Heavy in, heavy out.

Do not starve your tank, or it's inhabitants because of nutrient levels. If nutrients are to low, feed more, if they are too high, up the filtration game.

It really is that simple.

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the replies!

Lets start with the obvious, it's a bare bottom. Your going to go through many tough times before the system evens out.

Bare bottom is nice, but it comes with it's own set of issues, and the length of time for the system to stabilize. Tank is way to young to keep things stable, specially being bare bottom.

I should probably mention that a mandarin dragonette unless being fed pods daily, should never be in a system that is only 4 months old.
I know barebottoms lack surface area for bacteria which is why I added a small bottle of seachem matrix in a mesh back in one of the chambers in the back. That way I have more surface area.
Also, I am supplementing the tank with tig pods from reef nutrition along with some copepods from my 90G. I have seen the mandarin picking at frozen foods once so I am hoping over time she will adapt to frozen. Either way I do plan on starting my own pod and phyto culture to have as a safety net, in case she doesn’t eat the frozen foods.

really not much export so that may be the issue. I have a filter sock and water changes as a means of exporting nutrients right now.

maybe I should add a skimmer in the future?

Are you using or/di water? I had the same issue until I started using the right type of water.
yes rodi!

now I’m not sure if it’s exactly 0 TDS or not. but I am working on my own system. Currently my rodi system is giving me dirty water

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you don't think I was coming off as a ******. Just wanted to point out the mandy in case you weren't aware. I would normally never questions someone's stocking choice(I have broke the rules many times myself), but thought it needed a mention to a new reefer.

A skimmer will help, but don't think it's going to keep it very stable.

Dry rock start, or live rock?

Honestly though, at 4 months and bare bottom, your in for a wild ride yet. Just keep on the export methods, and let things stable out. I wouldn't worry too much about bouncing nutrient number right now. If your only using a sock, and WC's for nutrient export, should be looking into a refugium, ATS, biopellets, etc, etc. They all work, just need to choose a method that will work for you.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the replies!

really not much export so that may be the issue. I have a filter sock and water changes as a means of exporting nutrients right now.

maybe I should add a skimmer in the future?
No. Nutrient export I mean phosphate and nitrate..after it breaks down. You probably measure for these two items..the question is..how are you keeping them in control. Skimmer removes it before it becomes nitrate and phosphate

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you don't think I was coming off as a ******. Just wanted to point out the mandy in case you weren't aware. I would normally never questions someone's stocking choice(I have broke the rules many times myself), but thought it needed a mention to a new reefer.

A skimmer will help, but don't think it's going to keep it very stable.

Dry rock start, or live rock?

Honestly though, at 4 months and bare bottom, your in for a wild ride yet. Just keep on the export methods, and let things stable out. I wouldn't worry too much about bouncing nutrient number right now. If your only using a sock, and WC's for nutrient export, should be looking into a refugium, ATS, biopellets, etc, etc. They all work, just need to choose a method that will work for you.
Not at all! Lol but yeah I did quite a bit research before finally deciding on getting her

I did start the tank off with carribsea life rock, so I’m guessing that would be dry rock. Even though I’ve been told this stuff comes with dormant nitrifying bacterias. Pretty sure that’s bs.

as for bio pellets I heard those are better for Fowler tanks. I remember reading that somewhere which is why I went the the seachem matrix which is more like rock and I figure it’s even better since it’s so porous.

No. Nutrient export I mean phosphate and nitrate..after it breaks down. You probably measure for these two items..the question is..how are you keeping them in control. Skimmer removes it before it becomes nitrate and phosphate
wow never thought of it this way. In that case the only nutrient export I am doing would be water changes right?

since even in the filter sock, the waste is still being converted to N and P. until I take it out and rinse the filter, which is usually every other day

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow never thought of it this way. In that case the only nutrient export I am doing would be water changes right?

since even in the filter sock, the waste is still being converted to N and P. until I take it out and rinse the filter, which is usually every other day
Correct. Water changes is the way it sounds like. By using a protein skimmer and filter socks, you are taking out the organics before it has a chance to break down into nitrates and phosphates. I know this is old school, but look into macro algae refugium or a turf scrubber. Be aware though that this brings its own set of problems. My nutrients used to bottom out causing a dino outbreak causing me to have to dose back nitrates and phosphates

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. Water changes is the way it sounds like. By using a protein skimmer and filter socks, you are taking out the organics before it has a chance to break down into nitrates and phosphates. I know this is old school, but look into macro algae refugium or a turf scrubber. Be aware though that this brings its own set of problems. My nutrients used to bottom out causing a dino outbreak causing me to have to dose back nitrates and phosphates
Thanks I’ll definitely look into one, would a fuge/scrubber work better for a nano tank than skimmerOr would a skimmer do the same job?

I already have a chaeto refugium on the 90G reef so I would just have to find one that works for my 10g water box, the chaeto would be free :)

I think I’ve seen some HOB refugium, I’m sure they have some HOB skimmers that could work too

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I’ll definitely look into one, would a fuge/scrubber work better for a nano tank than skimmerOr would a skimmer do the same job?

I already have a chaeto refugium on the 90G reef so I would just have to find one that works for my 10g water box, the chaeto would be free :)

I think I’ve seen some HOB refugium, I’m sure they have some HOB skimmers that could work too
If you were in a choice to choose one or the other, especially for a nano, i would choose the skimmer..primarily for oxygen exchange because the water change demands are pretty low. I have a Red Sea Nano and i have a skimmer and a cheato ball in it so I didnt need to choose.

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were in a choice to choose one or the other, especially for a nano, i would choose the skimmer..primarily for oxygen exchange because the water change demands are pretty low. I have a Red Sea Nano and i have a skimmer and a cheato ball in it so I didnt need to choose.
Thank you so much!!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back