Battling O. Dino

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My frag tank has been battered from dino when my sister in law went into cardiac arrest.
My family and I moved into her house to take care of her newborn and 2 kids while my brother in law left the state to be by her side.

after 30 days of family emergency, she came home and is doing better day by day!!
I then remembered I had a 20gl frag and a Reffer 525. In that time, I lost some corals but overall pretty good.
My frag params bottomed out and ive been battling dinos since. I ordered 2 IM UV’s but passed on them when a fellow reefer let me borrow his 9w turbo twist UV.
Im loosing the battle on the LPS side. I’ve lost 4-5 torches, 1 fungia and 4-5 blasto mini colonies. Clam, nem, sticks, favias are doing great!

I put the algae under a microscope and confirmed the egg shaped, spinning dino. I replace carbon weekly but still can’t get a hold of it.

mid I put my blastos in my 525, would the dino reproduce in there? I’m asking because I’ve read the O. Dino can’t compete with regular tank params.

20gl
1.025 salinity
Dkh 8.4
CA 410
Mag 1300
Po4 .03-.07
No3 5-10ppm
Temp 80*

1.025 salinity
Dkh 7.9
CA 420
Mg 1350
Po4 .03-.07
No3 2.5-5ppm
Temp 79*

I love my blastos, they are my favorite coral!
Tyvm

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No UV on the 525 nor do I have one within reach.

it bums me out to see the corals suffering. I do 50% WC weekly but will start every other day @50% now.

Melanie Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 4 day total blackout and dosed Microbacter 7 the whole time and for a while after til my tank stabled off again. I didn't have great results with the uv but I've read others have.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ostreopsis dinos respond extremely well to an oversized UV sterilizer. I had some that cleared out in about 3-4 days...but they do rear their ugly heads occasionally. A small blackout will push them into the water column and the UV will crush them.

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ostreopsis dinos respond extremely well to an oversized UV sterilizer. I had some that cleared out in about 3-4 days...but they do rear their ugly heads occasionally. A small blackout will push them into the water column and the UV will crush them.

Thanks for the feedback.
I have an oversized UV and been running it.
I recently went from 12h Lights (4h peak) to 6h lights @70% (2hr peak) and removed all whites except for peak hrs. Also doing WC every other day and in the past 2 days, I’ve seen a drastic change. Corals seem fine so far.

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Finally beat Ostreopsis!!!

I had them in my 20gl frag & 525XL display. I do believe they crossed over because I used the same WC syphon.

frag had a UV and display did not. Both looked terrible and started loosing coral. I changed carbon weekly and turned LEDS to pure royal blues. Never really stopped doing WC or modified feedings. Im on week 2 of ramping Lights back with whites, amber, lime, UV etc (everything but Blues as they have been on).

SO FAR SO GOOOD!! Just thought I’d update. I believe it’s been 3 months since trying pure blues.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back