Bayer coral dip

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s banned in NY, CT, VT,MD apparently. I’m going to have to go into MA to get some I Guess.

The chemical ingredient of interest is Imidacloprid.

Two interesting facts:
- As of 1999, it was the most widely used insecticide on the planet.

- There seems to be a misconception about why this is banned and many folks believe that it has to do with health risks to people....which is not accurate! The statewide bans of imidacloprid went into effect because it unintentionally dessimates honey bee populations.

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help. They actually provided samples of coral Rx. Enough for a gallon which was way more than enough for me.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll never understand why people would use something like this that has no purity standards or ingredient regulations as it relates to our use. I've been using Coral RX for many years which works very well and never had any issues with coral pests. Why not support reef manufactures and avoid concern with impurities or changing ingredients for something not made for our use...

Brandon Smith

AquaticArsenal.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll never understand why people would use something like this that has no purity standards or ingredient regulations as it relates to our use. I've been using Coral RX for many years which works very well and never had any issues with coral pests. Why not support reef manufactures and avoid concern with impurities or changing ingredients for something not made for our use...
Have you ever thought about manufactures taking advantage of a niche market by making a product with basically the same ingredients with just a different label on it and charging 3x the amount for it?

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever thought about manufactures taking advantage of a niche market by making a product with basically the same ingredients with just a different label on it and charging 3x the amount for it?
Yup. And the cost of coral dip is so low I could care less. At least I know they aren't going to randomly change the ingredients on me or have some impurities in a batch that will kill my corals well beyond the price of the dip.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My wife is from South Africa and thought I was using Dettol to dip my corals bc it smells exactly the same as CoralRx. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same product, just repackaged with a price bump.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- There seems to be a misconception about why this is banned and many folks believe that it has to do with health risks to people....which is not accurate! The statewide bans of imidacloprid went into effect because it unintentionally dessimates honey bee populations.

Yes, that's the problem with all of the neonicotinoid insecticides.
Decimating honey bee populations around the world.
Imidacloprid and 2 others have been completed banned throughout the EU.
Bayer is a European company so they are phasing out these ingredients throughout their product line.
Our hobby's usage is probably the only one that's still reasonably non-toxic to the environment.

NaClH20Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bottle of Coral Rx, I’ve been using for over a year. It’s never harmed a single coral even high end acros. $17.99...
Haven’t had a single pest problem since I started using it.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The chemical ingredient of interest is Imidacloprid.

Two interesting facts:
- As of 1999, it was the most widely used insecticide on the planet.

Very interesting info! Didn't know that!
This is something that has occurred to me. To the previous posts question, our market has no regulation for coral pesticides, so pretty much anything can be rebottled and sold. I've actually wondered why no one has done that with Bayer yet. Lots of other dips smell like Pine-Sol to me.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like detol.
@atoll got me using it.
It doubles as a hand wash after i stick my hands in my tank .

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the bio advanced on all my corals and I use it at a very high concentration. I have 0 pests and all my corals open up fine after acclimating. I have used it on scolys hammers torch zoas goniopora elegance acan candy cane duncan plate blastomussa all did fine and look healthy.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used bayer a lot, but after seeing multiple people just pour the remnants down the sink i stopped promoting its use.

If it injures bees then good riddance!!!

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's the problem with all of the neonicotinoid insecticides.
Decimating honey bee populations around the world.
Imidacloprid and 2 others have been completed banned throughout the EU.
Bayer is a European company so they are phasing out these ingredients throughout their product line.
Our hobby's usage is probably the only one that's still reasonably non-toxic to the environment.

You make a good point here. Nobody realizes that this is also the main ingredient in every flea collar, dog shampoo, flea creams (K9 Advantix), and chewable that we give to dogs without hesitation.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't imagine,....using such a bug killer, that won't harm or kill our delicate Corals !
Is this true ?

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't imagine,....using such a bug killer, that won't harm or kill our delicate Corals !
Is this true ?

Yes, this is a unique type of insecticide that contains a controversial neurotoxin, which is lethal to most of the hitchhikers that you'd find on your new corals.

Gw2kpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this true ?

Yep. All my corals are dipped in Bayer. But to each his own.

You will want your dip to kill bugs otherwise they will just ride along into your tank. I'm always surprised what comes out of frags that visually look fine.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this true ?

The neonicotinoids work by damaging the nervous system.
Corals have no nervous system and are unaffected by these compounds.

My protocol is first dip Bayer, second dip CoralRx, third dip rinse in clean saltwater.
Haven't seen any corals killed by this approach.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 65 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 5.7%
Back