Bayer Coral Dipping Residue Killing Inverts?

OhDumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week I had my one year old Peppermint Cleaner die (to the day I bought him). He had somewhat isolated himself for a few days before molting, which isn't typical for him, and then was back to himself. Then I found him a day later lifeless on the bottom of the tank. Then two days later I just found my Emerald crab dead. The only thing I can think of that I have done differently was add several corals to the tank. I'm wondering if there was Bayer dip residue that wasn't thoroughly rinsed that is doing my inverts in? I still have a Tiger Pistol doing well and a few hermits still creeping around. This could be a coincidence, but having two inverts die over a couple of days is alarming.

I dip all my corals in Bayer and do a two part rinse in fresh tank water in separate containers. Recently I added 5 new frags and one hand-sized piece of LR. I did the typical routine of soaking in a Bayer bath, rinse once in fresh tank water, and then moving to a second rinse in a separate container blasting with a Turkey baster until water is clear.

Beyond the Bayer potential, is there anything else I should be looking for? Testing?

Tank Parameters:
Nitrate: 4
Phos: .03
Alk: 7
Calc: 380
pH: 8.2
Temp: 80
Salinity: 32

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week I had my one year old Peppermint Cleaner die (to the day I bought him). He had somewhat isolated himself for a few days before molting, which isn't typical for him, and then was back to himself. Then I found him a day later lifeless on the bottom of the tank. Then two days later I just found my Emerald crab dead. The only thing I can think of that I have done differently was add several corals to the tank. I'm wondering if there was Bayer dip residue that wasn't thoroughly rinsed that is doing my inverts in? I still have a Tiger Pistol doing well and a few hermits still creeping around. This could be a coincidence, but having two inverts die over a couple of days is alarming.

I dip all my corals in Bayer and do a two part rinse in fresh tank water in separate containers. Recently I added 5 new frags and one hand-sized piece of LR. I did the typical routine of soaking in a Bayer bath, rinse once in fresh tank water, and then moving to a second rinse in a separate container blasting with a Turkey baster until water is clear.

Beyond the Bayer potential, is there anything else I should be looking for? Testing?

Tank Parameters:
Nitrate: 4
Phos: .03
Alk: 7
Calc: 380
pH: 8.2
Temp: 80
Salinity: 32
Sounds like what I do when I rinse. Do you run GAC in your system? If not, I would recommend getting some running just in case you do have a contaminant like residual Bayer. I can't see it causing a problem with as diluted as it would be, but I can't say for sure it isn't related.

Chicago-quicksilver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you used bayer on the live rock make sure you thoroughly rinse it and no bayer got stuck in the pockets of the rock. I use a turkey baster and start aiming it at various angles and I'm always surprised by what comes out from other pockets.

OP
OP
O

OhDumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like what I do when I rinse. Do you run GAC in your system? If not, I would recommend getting some running just in case you do have a contaminant like residual Bayer. I can't see it causing a problem with as diluted as it would be, but I can't say for sure it isn't related.
Yes, I added some new just in case. I may do a decent water change as well.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never use any dip on rock.....period.

I also recommend removing frag plugs before dipping because the dip gets absorbed into the plug (unless it's plastic). If you still want the coral on a plug, re-glue to a fresh plug after dipping and doing a double rinse.

You also didn't mention your dilution, but I believe many way overdose, making very strong solutions of dip.

OP
OP
O

OhDumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you used bayer on the live rock make sure you thoroughly rinse it and no bayer got stuck in the pockets of the rock. I use a turkey baster and start aiming it at various angles and I'm always surprised by what comes out from other pockets.
No kidding! I had to rinse the rock quite a bit and I use a turkey baster like you. But, that is the reason why I guessed maybe the Bayer might have caused it. I did a lot of rinsing and I got a bit nervouse. But, the rinse water was clear once I decided to add it to the tank.

Maybe it's not the Bayer and I'm just make wrong assumptions.

OP
OP
O

OhDumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never use any dip on rock.....period.

I also recommend removing frag plugs before dipping because the dip gets absorbed into the plug (unless it's plastic). If you still want the coral on a plug, re-glue to a fresh plug after dipping and doing a double rinse.

I typically do. This was my first time dipping a piece a rock. So, lesson learned the hard way maybe. I'm wondering if I've nuked my inverts in the long run.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh.... I didn't realize you used the Bayer on the live rock.. :eek:

That could trap a lot. I would pull it and keep running GAC in the system.
I would then do a lot of rinsing of the piece or rock, as in for weeks with near daily water changes, before trying to put it back in.

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where do you get bayer from?
Is dipping in bayer better or same as coralRX dip?

OP
OP
O

OhDumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get bayer from?
Is dipping in bayer better or same as coralRX dip?
I don't know if it's better, but it's just another option. You can Google or do a search on the boards here. It's my preferred method.

OP
OP
O

OhDumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh.... I didn't realize you used the Bayer on the live rock.. :eek:

That could trap a lot. I would pull it and keep running GAC in the system.
I would then do a lot of rinsing of the piece or rock, as in for weeks with near daily water changes, before trying to put it back in.
Know what I'm doing tonight! Thanks for the input guys.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back