Bayer Insecticidal Coral Dip

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So what dose do you use? Also give detail of time in dip as well. Thanks.[/QUOTE said:
Thanks for this post. I just received a bunch of corals and was going to try revive but now heading to Home Depot. I'll post results

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can still find it at HD, it is on sale to blow out all inventory. HD has decided to no longer sell Bayer, in part because of its implication to beehive collapse. Amazon still has it and I believe Lowe's still carries it as well.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you can still find it at HD, it is on sale to blow out all inventory. HD has decided to no longer sell Bayer, in part because of its implication to beehive collapse. Amazon still has it and I believe Lowe's still carries it as well.
Thank you, I have to pass a Lowes to get to HD so I'll check there first. No time for amazon, frags in acclimation mode already. Also, thank you for the tip on removing corals from the frag where purchased and re-gluing on new frag too. I was so upset to see my new frag plugs would not fit in the new frag rack I just got. I'll grab some plugs with thiner stems from my LFS today and transplant to the frags on plugs with stems that WILL fit on my rack. I was panicking on what I would do since they didn't fit and then came across your Bayer thread. My blood pressure is down now ha! Thanks!

BMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20170319_121912097.jpg IMG_20170316_181651620.jpg Being a newbie....I have added frags directly to my tank without dipping. All looked great for the first week or so. No I have a couple of Zoa frags that are not opening completely. If I pull the frags from the tank and dip, will that be enough to remove pests? Do the pests also reside in and on the live rock?

BMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Bayer Advanced Complete that is packaged in the ready to spray (with garden hose connection) bottle the same strength as the concentrate ?

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Bayer Advanced Complete that is packaged in the ready to spray (with garden hose connection) bottle the same strength as the concentrate ?

The spray bottle I looked at appears to have the same concentration of active ingredients.

Imidacloprid.................0.72%
Beta-Cyfluthrin............0.36%
Other Ingredients......98.92%

However, you are paying a premium for that spray bottle part. Why not just buy the regular big bottle?

712mKymxX1L._SL1373_.jpg

BMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spray bottle I looked at appears to have the same concentration of active ingredients.

Imidacloprid.................0.72%
Beta-Cyfluthrin............0.36%
Other Ingredients......98.92%

However, you are paying a premium for that spray bottle part. Why not just buy the regular big bottle?

712mKymxX1L._SL1373_.jpg
Unfortunately the hardware store near me only has the spray bottle for a garden hose. $19.00

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lowes does indeed still carry it. I bought out all the remaining stock from my local homedepot when they dropped it to $2.50 a bottle, both conventional and spray bottle.

@BMan pests reside on the rock at times and on the coral frags. Granted dipping them after the fact is better than doing nothing at all, but a lot of pests nest and lay eggs at the base of the coral not on any actual coral tissue.

I use the 10ml per 4oz of tank water for 10 - 15 minutes while blasting with a power head or turkey baster.

BMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardware store had some without the hose connection. $17.00. Dipping now at 1ml to 100ml solution for 15 min.

BMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1490053644900-1036903380.jpg
Back in the tank. They didn't like it very much. Lets see how fast they open up.

ReeferSurf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BE CAREFUL, I WAS BLIND FOR 10 DAYS!!! IT GOT INTO MY EYES!

Okay Im joking :D
I was using bare hand and no eye protection, scrubbing the bases of hammers with a toothbrush, some bayer mix flick from the toothbrush onto my face. From now on, going to use gloves and eye protection. Dunno what bayer will do to my skin or let alone eyes, better for a bit of annoyance then sorry i guess.

I use 15ml per 300ml. So 5ml bayer to 100ml water for stats keeping. Used it on all Acros 15mins and forgot some hammers for 30mins. All corals are well, havent lost a single sps or color lost yet. Revive i lost 3 sps and about 5 lost color browned out after dip. Used revive dosage to instructions.

SlvrZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap, I been doing it wrong. Thought it was pour cup of Bayer and dip into that like a ranch dipping sauce lol

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a 40oz bottle in Lowe's for $12.97. Home Depot no longer carries it.
Was not expecting to see such a wide range of dosing options. But more surprised to read how many "dip for X-min and then rinse and add to tank.
I'm still a newbie but thought corals required the same QT cautions as fish.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
xxx

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back