Bayer Insecticidal Coral Dip

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many on this site that coral dip using Bayer Advance Complete Insect Killer to dip their corals. I want to see if we can put together a thread that captures the dose you are using.

I go off the original post (Video) on using Bayer and use 3 mls per 300 mls of tank water to dip my corals for 15 minutes before getting a rinse in clean tank water (X 2).

This is an actual picture of my bottle purchased a number of years ago:

but I understand they have changed to a white labeled bottle:

687073002706.jpg

So what dose do you use? Also give detail of time in dip as well. Thanks.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 1.5ml of Bayer per ounce of water. 15 minutes in the dip being agitated and then 15 minutes in clean tank water being agitated.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got done using Bayer to dip some corals from a swap today. I shoot for 10ml Bayer to 4 oz water, but usually just eyeball it to a skim milk look and dip for 10-15 minutes. Rinse twice, all done with tank water.

Just converted @ndz98 this evening to Bayer.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @BryanS4 , this is the kind of stuff I want to hear.

@icecool2 , I simply want to convert your 1.5 mls of Bayer to 1 ounce tank water to metric.....1.5 mls to 30 mls of tank water. Considerably stronger than the 1 ml per 100 mls I'm using. But thanks for the response...and I'm assuming no adverse reactions.

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to do the 1cup water to 5ml Bayer, but now I just get the shipping bad and add Bayer until it's milky. 5-10 minutes and rinse

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@icecool2 , I simply want to convert your 1.5 mls of Bayer to 1 ounce tank water to metric.....1.5 mls to 30 mls of tank water. Considerably stronger than the 1 ml per 100 mls I'm using. But thanks for the response...and I'm assuming no adverse reactions.
My measuring cups are in ounces :) I haven't had any negative reactions from anything I've dipped.

This is where I got my numbers from when I first started dipping.
http://boroaquatics.com/blogs/articles/17033867-proper-dipping-of-corals-the-bayer-method

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For acros I do the same as the op, sometimes a little stronger mix and a bit longer in the dip. For lps and Zoas my go to is coral Rx. I use the same dilution as reccomended by coral rx except I cut the volume from 1 gallon to 1/4 or 1/2 gallon, I feel a full gallon is a waste.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the skim milk reference! :D

Again, converting to metric for @dbl 's 10 mls to 4 ounces....this is equivalent to 10 mls to 120 mls of tank water. Wow, you're juicing it up! Again, I'm assuming no coral losses from this dose and success with this dip?

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also follow the 1.5 ml per oz. Information from the same site.

I've also used dosages as high as 20 ml per 8 oz without adverse effect.

I am not as religious about the multiple dips after to clear the Bayer off. I simply dip mine in tank water for 15 minutes then in the tank they go.

Also, sorry to be a killjoy, remember to where gloves and glasses and only use in a well ventilated room. Keep away from pets, kids, etc.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to see if I can tabulate the results in this thread. Here's what we have so far tabulated as mls of Bayer to 100 mls of tank water. I think quite a range from 1 ml up to 8.3 mls per 100 mls of tank water.....and no adverse effect on the corals.

Redfishbluefish..........1
BryanS4.....................Skim Milk
icecool2......................5
Rsaalman...................2.1
kschweer....................1+
dbl..............................8.3
HM3105 (1)................5
HM3105 (2)...............8.3
hawkinsrgk................8.3

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the skim milk reference! :D

Again, converting to metric for @dbl 's 10 mls to 4 ounces....this is equivalent to 10 mls to 120 mls of tank water. Wow, you're juicing it up! Again, I'm assuming no coral losses from this dose and success with this dip?

Paul, no coral losses for me, at least from dipping with Bayer and at this strength, and I dip everything!

Just as an FYI, I got my original dilution rate from this thread...http://reef2reef.com/threads/bayer-insecticide-as-a-coral-dip.100496/

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
........Just converted @ndz98 this evening to Bayer.

My goodness, did this conversion require a seance or high priestess for this to happen. :eek: If all else fails, please advise, and we'll do it the old fashion way.....go over there and beat some sense into him/her! :D Bayer is the way to go!

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goodness, did this conversion require a seance or high priestess for this to happen. :eek: If all else fails, please advise, and we'll do it the old fashion way.....go over there and beat some sense into him/her! :D Bayer is the way to go!

The timing of your post was funny. That particular member posted a question on what to use as a dip, so I (and others) recommended Bayer. We had a nice back and forth and he used Bayer for the first time this evening. No beating necessary...this time!

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't measure either; "skim milk" for me too. I soak for around 5 minutes, then into tank water for five and then I rinse and it goes in.

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Yeah, I don't really measure either, as long as I have a "weak skim milk" look, wait 15 minutes, then it goes in.

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started using the water the coral comes in to do my dips. I like the water white, and seems to work well. Never really measured but a few times.

sheldonjjessup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thank everyone for contributing, I have never heard of this method, and now I'm excited to try it!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back