Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I’m planning a bean animal backpack overflow on my new build, and also want to include an automatic fleece roller (the only style available here is pictured).

Any suggestions on how to plumb the two return lines from the bean animal into the fleece roller? I’m sure someone must have this setup, and I’d like to understand the optimal solution.

Thanks,

Adam

83B7459C-98B2-4091-8276-8FC0FDE1A6C5.jpeg

OP
OP
Adam1985

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Normally it would be like that. However, the bean animal design basically has two main overflows (one full siphon below water line, and one open to air at the main water level). Simple diagram attached.

So any thoughts on how to plumb this design into the fleece roller apparatus?

Much appreciated once more!

Adam

Attachments

• 21678A6C-7BE0-405D-BDB0-2504D689D7B6.jpeg
    21678A6C-7BE0-405D-BDB0-2504D689D7B6.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 76

kenbennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second drain line typically has so little flow that it is not strictly necessary to filter it. The turnover rate between tank and sump will adequately filter the water.

OP
OP
Adam1985

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second drain line typically has so little flow that it is not strictly necessary to filter it. The turnover rate between tank and sump will adequately filter the water.
Thanks, this is very helpful. If both lines merge before the filter, would that negatively affect the bean animal function?

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got that roller and feed it from both lines. I got lucky and got a second elbow from a broken roller. Fabricate a second elbow with a piece of pvc or acrylic and a pvc elbow.

kenbennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, this is very helpful. If both lines merge before the filter, would that negatively affect the bean animal function?
In my opinion if you join the lines, you lose the benefit of redundancy that separate lines would provide. The single joined line would provide a higher pressure drop and less flow than two separate lines in an emergency or unexpected condition.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I’m planning a bean animal backpack overflow on my new build, and also want to include an automatic fleece roller (the only style available here is pictured).

Any suggestions on how to plumb the two return lines from the bean animal into the fleece roller? I’m sure someone must have this setup, and I’d like to understand the optimal solution.

Thanks,

Adam

83B7459C-98B2-4091-8276-8FC0FDE1A6C5.jpeg
Is "D" in the image able to be swapped from one sire to the other? If so, you can make, or possibly buy, a piece similar to it and mount it on the other side of the filter assembly. This would allow one line to go itno one side and thew other into the other side.

Or, if the other side is solid, possibly drill a hole on it to accommodate a fitting (either slip or threaded) and then tie in the secondary drain there.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back