Bean animal vs Herbie overflow for internal overflow peninsula tank

Canuck007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just need a little advice. I'm setting up a standard 120g (48x24x24) as a peninsula style, mixed reef. Going to have the bottom drilled for the internal overflow. Decided against the external overflow because of exposed piping etc. Wife wants a nice clean look so internal it is. For the time being it will be against a wall. I just don't like the overflow in the middle.

I know bean animal is superior but do I really need it in a 120g system? Also if I do herbie, what should the 2 drain sizes be? 1.25" or 1"? Just trying to minimize number of holes drilled in the bottom of the tank and also keep internal overflow box smaller.

Also which is better, corner or middle overflow box?

TIA!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just need a little advice. I'm setting up a standard 120g (48x24x24) as a peninsula style, mixed reef. Going to have the bottom drilled for the internal overflow. Decided against the external overflow because of exposed piping etc. Wife wants a nice clean look so internal it is. For the time being it will be against a wall. I just don't like the overflow in the middle.

I know bean animal is superior but do I really need it in a 120g system? Also if I do herbie, what should the 2 drain sizes be? 1.25" or 1"? Just trying to minimize number of holes drilled in the bottom of the tank and also keep internal overflow box smaller.

TIA!
I've a herbie on my 75g with external overflow with 2 x 1" drains.
Going from the bottom will likely give better flow. Do you have a target for return flow?
I would choose a corner overflow to get water moving from one side to the other.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TIA!
I'm partial to external overflows like this one:
Drill 2 1.5" Holes, and have 3 1" drains (Main, Durso, and Emergency) that can do up to 900GPH. FijiCube makes some up to 2400 GPH.

To answer your question though, the diameter of your plumbing will depend on the amount of flow you wish to achieve, not necessarily tank size. Even if 1.25 is too large, you can always use the valve to dial back the GPH, just find your happy medium between flowrate and drilling.

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion Herbie is more than fine. This is my 200g peninsula system drilled with 2x 1" drains. I also run (2) 3/4" returns on dedicated pumps. I don't understand the need for the bean animal. In almost 15 years of reef tanks, I've never had one drain clog, let alone two at the same time. *Note, this pic was taken at setup before the flow was dialed in. The secondary drain is the slightest trickle. There should be a poll started if anyone has ever had multiple drains clog.

Screenshot_20211122-192339_Photos~2.jpg

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 corner overflow. Only regret is not turning it peninsula style.
That said I run a single1" drain. 11/4" in overflow with 1/2" return.
This has worked well and would work well in a peninsula run system.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion Herbie is more than fine. "..." I don't understand the need for the bean animal. In almost 15 years of reef tanks, I've never had one drain clog, let alone two at the same time.
Maybe so, but an extra piece of PVC for peace of mind isn't that much trouble, and... murphy's law. I'm sure it's happened to someone at some point...

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe so, but an extra piece of PVC for peace of mind isn't that much trouble, and... murphy's law. I'm sure it's happened to someone at some point...
It's never happened :)

I'm kidding of course.. I hear you. I guess anything's possible with enough use cases. From Durso to Herbie, it was life changing enough lol. Like cassettes to CDs. Now I'm dating myself.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's never happened :)

I'm kidding of course.. I hear you. I guess anything's possible with enough use cases. From Durso to Herbie, it was life changing enough lol. Like cassettes to CDs. Now I'm dating myself.
I'm just old enough that our family car had an 8-track, the next year I can remember we upgraded to a casette

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just old enough that our family car had an 8-track, the next year I can remember we upgraded to a casette
I turned 17 (Driving age in NJ) 6 months after this gem was laid to rest. I barely escaped..

Screenshot_20211122-211457_Chrome.jpg

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 150g tank was drilled for a herbie, and I wanted to keep my return in the box so I'm keeping it herbie. Apex with a float sensor will prevent an overflow and shutoff my return for 30 min while I react to the problem.

That being said, the bean animal has a backup to your backup so it's definitely work it if you are still in the planning phase. Drill that 3rd drain hole for sure.

I like center overflow box for mine, but in a peninsula, two rear boxes, or one would work.

OP
OP
Canuck007

Canuck007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the replies. I ended up doing a corner overflow running front to back. I did 2x1" drains and 1 x 3/4" return which I'll split as it comes out of the overflow box. It should work fine if I ever get the time to set it up. lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back