Bean Animal with Remote Sump - Can it be quiet?

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I've used Bean Animal overflows allot, but in this case my sump will be in another room and the pipes will need to run about 6 feet over to it. Is it still possible to have a Bean Animal overflow achieve full syphon reasonably fast, and stay just as quiet with the sump 6 feet away?

I did ask before, but wanted to try again with the question worded better because I didn't find anyone that had tried last time.

Thank you!
Whiskey

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to be sure the main drain will purge air fast. This means no 90's

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to be sure the main drain will purge air fast. This means no 90's
Thank you for the reply lapin!!!I have to say that’s not what I was hoping to hear, right now I’m planning for at least 5 90’s per drain because it has to go through a wall and a little bit down the hallway. I might be able to make that 3 per drain but I can’t see how to make 0 work. Is this a hard requirement?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a hard requirement?
No however air is the major cause of noise in a drain.
Its worth a try. Let us know how it works out

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I've used Bean Animal overflows allot, but in this case my sump will be in another room and the pipes will need to run about 6 feet over to it. Is it still possible to have a Bean Animal overflow achieve full syphon reasonably fast, and stay just as quiet with the sump 6 feet away?

I did ask before, but wanted to try again with the question worded better because I didn't find anyone that had tried last time.

Thank you!
Whiskey
A check valve on the return line would help speed up the time. Using smaller diameter piping on the drain side will help.

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 120 with a bean animal overflow and a remote sump. Sump is in a separate fish room with pipes running at least 12 feet to the sump. Each overflow pipe has three ninety degree joints and there is zero sound. Nineties have zero impact on noise level although there is some reduction in flow on the returns because of the nineties.Just make sure you put a gate valve on the main pipe for ease of adjustment and you should be fine.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I agree with the 90degree comments. For example, check out BRS investigates on 90 vs 45 degree flow.

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use flex pvc?
I'm thinking about this, there are some areas where I maybe can, but there are a couple spots that are super tight and a 90 is the only option.

I actually think that with Rubber hose and some creativity I might be able to get down to 4, 45's and 2 90's per drain.

Whiskey

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 120 with a bean animal overflow and a remote sump. Sump is in a separate fish room with pipes running at least 12 feet to the sump. Each overflow pipe has three ninety degree joints and there is zero sound. Nineties have zero impact on noise level although there is some reduction in flow on the returns because of the nineties.Just make sure you put a gate valve on the main pipe for ease of adjustment and you should be fine.
This is awesome!!!! I am so relived to see someone that has success with this!!!!

I do have a couple questions for you! How long does it take the bean to achieve quiet operation? Also, where do you have your Gate Valve? Is it toward the end? Or right at the tank?

Thank you,
Whiskey

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I agree with the 90degree comments. For example, check out BRS investigates on 90 vs 45 degree flow.

Wow! You learn something new every day. I've been plumbing sumps since my first reef in 1998, I would never have expected this result. Thank you for posting this!

Whiskey

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my bean animal drain setup…

From my overflow box it drops straight down vertically 3.5’ then does a 90, travels 4’ horizontally and then does another 90, it then drops vertically another 2’.

It only takes my system maybe 1-2mins if that to pull a full siphon. And it is just as quiet as any other bean animal.

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can only tell you how mine works. The nineties reduce the return flow as expected (a little) but I have zero noise out of the tank. I can sometimes hear a bit of a trickling sound but definitely no gurgles or consistent sound. Now my system only drops maybe a foot from the tank to the sump. It does run laterally at least a dozen feet. So with the reduced drop and reduced pressure maybe that’s not allowing noise to start up??? I don’t know I just know mine is The quietest reef tank I have ever had and I’m very happy with the Bean Animal setup. I just wish I had NOT gotten the large center tower overflow. It takes up too much eye space.
96E2A071-7FBC-4FCE-9499-6A210204186C.jpeg
28AD9600-2B7A-4B69-A545-2921E553920A.jpeg

Top run is the return with the bottom three the drain. Please ignore the duct tape holding things during construction.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only tell you how mine works. The nineties reduce the return flow as expected (a little) but I have zero noise out of the tank. I can sometimes hear a bit of a trickling sound but definitely no gurgles or consistent sound. Now my system only drops maybe a foot from the tank to the sump. It does run laterally at least a dozen feet. So with the reduced drop and reduced pressure maybe that’s not allowing noise to start up??? I don’t know I just know mine is The quietest reef tank I have ever had and I’m very happy with the Bean Animal setup. I just wish I had NOT gotten the large center tower overflow. It takes up too much eye space.

Top run is the return with the bottom three the drain. Please ignore the duct tape holding things during construction.
Nice looking tank/scape! What overflown would you have gone with instead? I struggle with EXT overflows because I can walk around the sides of the tank and seeing the plumbing would be an eyesore :(

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my bean animal drain setup…

From my overflow box it drops straight down vertically 3.5’ then does a 90, travels 4’ horizontally and then does another 90, it then drops vertically another 2’.

It only takes my system maybe 1-2mins if that to pull a full siphon. And it is just as quiet as any other bean animal.
Awesome!!! That's fantastic to find someone else with success!!! I'm glad it gets the syphon quick too, I like turning my return off for feeding. I don't have to, but I prefer to.

Thanks for jumping in!!
Whiskey

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for the pics!! That helps allot. I'll start plumbing mine tonight maybe and I can come back with some pictures of my own in a few days.

Whiskey

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I still have allot of work to do, including adding the second return (I ran short on parts) but I cut over to the sump in the back room this weekend and I'm happy to report that it is silent!!!

I'm also happy to report that it comes back to full syphon remarkably quickly. From the front room it seems to get quiet almost as fast as it used to. If I go into the back to look at the sump, I can see small air bubbles and hear slight gurgles in that room for about 4 min after starting back up, but you can't hear it from the livingroom.

Here are some ugly pictures (Wire management, stand side that covers pipes, and proper shelves are yet to come).
IMG_6643.JPG

IMG_6644.JPG

Whiskey

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back