Beekeepers?

Medic58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a huge swarm I wonder want was left behind. It filled three deeps and medium. How many supers.

968470C2-7E9B-424E-BB4F-C825139A3E8E.png

Medic58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s another caught both you of them together don’t add up to that

Attachments

• IMG_0447.MOV
    6.1 MB

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 60 hours of beekeeping training from YouTube . Love the thought, but didn’t want to mess with it in my sub division. Wish I owned land that I could do it. HOA says it’s a no go.
Never live in a HOA regulated home after this. First house, for 19 years

Medic58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 60 hours of beekeeping training from YouTube . Love the thought, but didn’t want to mess with it in my sub division. Wish I owned land that I could do it. HOA says it’s a no go.
Never live in a HOA regulated home after this. First house, for 19 years
Wow. Did you remove it or someone else? I would of put theee supers on that swarm and let the girls go to work.

RDA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't kept any, but would love to one of these days.

badluckman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 20 large hives, most of them doubles. It's a fun hobby, and it does pay for a few months of living costs.

2 years ago I lost 90% to varroa though. It was a sad year.. Gas didn't work/bad mix/resistant bugs, still haven't decided what to blame ;Facepalm

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading that some strains of mushrooms in water helps fight varrora. Stamets, the mycologists, was an author
I really want to pop a hive down and learn, any of you guys nearChicagoland?

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My wife and I keep bees but we are presently in between hives..should be up and running with new ones it his summer.my rotary club sponsored the building of an aviary on public land near the city's community garden

Medic58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, can somebody explain the deeps and mediums :) ?
A deep box is the bottom box It’s also call the brood box it the heart of the hive. That’s where the queen lays the eggs. In the deep you will find eggs,larvae, brood, honey, Pollen, bee bread And nurse bees. This is where the bees go to cluster in the winter time. Medium or supers the name changes depending On what part of the U.S you live in. That’s where the nectar that will be processed into honey is stored. This the honey we take. We don’t take honey from the deep box.

Medic58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading that some strains of mushrooms in water helps fight varrora. Stamets, the mycologists, was an author
I really want to pop a hive down and learn, any of you guys nearChicagoland?
I’m in Chicago

Medic58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 20 large hives, most of them doubles. It's a fun hobby, and it does pay for a few months of living costs.

2 years ago I lost 90% to varroa though. It was a sad year.. Gas didn't work/bad mix/resistant bugs, still haven't decided what to blame ;Facepalm
That sucks. What kind of bees. I have Carniolans and Italian they have to be treated in the fall and spring for good measure. I hear the Russian the buckfast and saskatraz are slightly resistance to notes but I would assume you still have to treat them.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you “catch” a swarm? Do you collect, eat or sell the honey?? What made you decide to be a beekeeper?? I’m not a fan of most insects but I do plant bee and butterfly friendly plants around my house every year, they don’t bother anyone. The hornets, wasps and other bizarre creatures give me the heeby jeebies big time.

Medic58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you “catch” a swarm? Do you collect, eat or sell the honey?? What made you decide to be a beekeeper?? I’m not a fan of most insects but I do plant bee and butterfly friendly plants around my house every year, they don’t bother anyone. The hornets, wasps and other bizarre creatures give me the heeby jeebies big time.
In most cases the bee will not be in a defensive state because there is no hive to protect. First make sure you can get the swarm safely without hurting yourself. So in most cases if they are on a tree. I cut the branch beyond the swarm and they will hang on the the branch as long you are moving carefully. At that point you take the swarm hold it over the box or hive box and with one big shake Shake them into the box. Hopefully the queen is in the box at this point then put a cover over the box and watch the remaining bees beehavior(HaHA). Sorry I couldn’t resist. If the rest of the bees are marching into the box success you have got yourself a swarm. Wait one hour or so and all the bee will be in the box. Seal and relocate to the new home of the bees. I got into beekeeping though my sons school they were in an after school program call the garden club the kids plant and learn about nature and tend to the Landsacping at the school. So the school was given a grant from Whole Foods to start bee hives and I volunteer to help with the hives. After the first year honey harvest my wife found that the honey helped her seasonal allergies so well I decided to have my own Hives at a community garden. But the deeper I got involved the more I liked learning about bee behavior So I’m more hooked on the behavior of bees than the honey. the honey Collecting is second for me. Honey is a by product of a healthy hive. I haven’t sold honey yet but the school sells it to raise money for projects and to keep the after school program going. I mostly give my honey away to family and friends. When my wife lets me.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back