Beginner aquarium control

Tice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, I’m setting up a 75g mixed reef on a budget and am trying to decide what type of controls are actually needed and which are just nice to have. I’m thinking if either getting the reefkeeper lite or an apex junior. However I also like the look of the reefkeeper elite or the apex classic. Basically I want to control my heater and power heads and possibly lights and return pump. Do really need the ph probe or all the other bells and whistles? Or is there somewhere I could get a used set up that is trustworthy and less expensive? Heck are there other controllers I don’t know about? And tips and advise are welcome. Thanks!

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the Reefkeeper and upgraded to the Apex junior and now the apex classic. I like the programming and features of the apex better personally but everyone has their own opinions. The reason I switched to apex originally was because I couldn't use my mac with the reef keeper (That may have changed over the years). You could get by with the junior and always add modules if you decide you want more features like the PH or more programable outlets. If you can afford it tho I would go with the classic right off the bat. The 4 additional outlets come in handy. You will be surprised how fast the eb4 or eb8 outlets get crowded. Add a doser, reactor, skimmer, powerheads, ATO, etc...

OP
OP
Tice

Tice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the Reefkeeper and upgraded to the Apex junior and now the apex classic. I like the programming and features of the apex better personally but everyone has their own opinions. The reason I switched to apex originally was because I couldn't use my mac with the reef keeper (That may have changed over the years). You could get by with the junior and always add modules if you decide you want more features like the PH or more programable outlets. If you can afford it tho I would go with the classic right off the bat. The 4 additional outlets come in handy. You will be surprised how fast the eb4 or eb8 outlets get crowded. Add a doser, reactor, skimmer, powerheads, ATO, etc...

I never actually thought about powering the skimmer through the controller. Is that recommended?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefkeeper Lite on my QT system. It works fine for the most basic things like timers and heater control. That said, they are no longer supported by Digital Aquatics. That's a big bummer in my opinion, so I wouldn't suggest buying a new one. If you can get a used one for a good price, go for it!

Lots of people like their Apex setups. It may be more than you need though if you just want to control a heater and some lights.

Another option to consider is the Reef Angel if you are more of the DIY type.

You could always just start with a few timers and an external heater controller.

OP
OP
Tice

Tice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefkeeper Lite on my QT system. It works fine for the most basic things like timers and heater control. That said, they are no longer supported by Digital Aquatics. That's a big bummer in my opinion, so I wouldn't suggest buying a new one. If you can get a used one for a good price, go for it!

Lots of people like their Apex setups. It may be more than you need though if you just want to control a heater and some lights.

Another option to consider is the Reef Angel if you are more of the DIY type.

You could always just start with a few timers and an external heater controller.

I’ll check into reef angel as well. I’m not a massive diy person but I am willing to get my hands dirty so to speak.

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with Reef Angel, then moved to the ReefKeeper, and finally to Apex. I would have saved a lot of time, money and frustration if I had bought the Apex first.

If you don't care about insight into how your tank operates [which I see now as necessary] then any basic [cheap] controller will act as a timer for your equipment. If you want web access and/or to have logs of measurements such as pH swings, temperature swings etc. then the Apex wins hand down.

Just my $0.02, and I know that before I got the Apex it annoyed me to read comments like this, but now that I have it I see why.

LowLi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following this looking to get a controller too but it seems like too actually use the apex you need to buy all the accessories which ends up costing a ton.

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been going back and forth on selecting a controller for the last two months. I finally made up my mind to bite the bullet and buy the new Apex, then I found a preowned Apex Classic Gold with all probes, PM2, BoB, extra temp probe, and wifi adapter for $400, so I ended up going that route. I also was set on getting the Apex Jr at one point, but I knew I'd be adding onto it eventually, so it would have been a matter of spending up front and having what I want or keep adding onto the Jr and spending more over time because I'd need more modules.

If you're into GHL, there's actually a screaming deal on RC right now in the classifieds. I'm not sure if it's against rules to link over there, but it's easy to find. It's the Profilux 3.1N, expansion card to add redox/conductivity, 2 powerbars, 2 optical water sensors, and an older 3 head GHL doser for $275 shipped. It doesn't come with any probes, so those would need to be purchased, but still a very very good deal.

bryan3536

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had an Apex for all the tracking, but I did pick up a RK Lite for about $100 a month ago and it’s working great. I have module that gives me temp and ph probe which is nice (should give me salinity but I have an old one). It’s great for now.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can swing it, nothing compares to the Apex IMO but I am not sure I would get it unless you at least get the classic. The Jr is missing both the salinity and PH probes, which are important. Most of the programming and control (other than on/off timers) will be centered around those readings. For example, if my salinity drops, I have the Apex shut off my ATO......if the PH rises, the ALK dosing stops.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, I’m setting up a 75g mixed reef on a budget and am trying to decide what type of controls are actually needed and which are just nice to have. I’m thinking if either getting the reefkeeper lite or an apex junior. However I also like the look of the reefkeeper elite or the apex classic. Basically I want to control my heater and power heads and possibly lights and return pump. Do really need the ph probe or all the other bells and whistles? Or is there somewhere I could get a used set up that is trustworthy and less expensive? Heck are there other controllers I don’t know about? And tips and advise are welcome. Thanks!
None is requires or must have. Depending upon your setup, you may find certain things more useful. Here is a brief run down of thing from what I personally thing is important
0) ATO. Must have.
1) Temperature/heater control. Since heaters fails most and causes most frequent tank crash, this is a safety check for the long run
2) Day light cycle control,. Acclimation mode for introducing new corals
3) Equipment on/off capability (for WC and any on-demand works), Can be done by simple powerstrips with individual switches or one of the smart power outlets as well
4) Automating dosing regiment. Two parts, kalk dosig etc,
.. thene there are many other things. .. but i think this is whats most important

Apex will do almost all, reefkeeper will do at least half of this,. There are also dedicated controllers for each of this items, they have advantages of isolating the failure domain, but you loose the convenience of a single control plane

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't buy a ReefKeeper. Crap company that doesn't support their customers. I liked mine ok until the heater control stuck "on". Fortunately I caught it and my heater itself wasn't set too high.

Things break, but I emailed support about it 2 weeks ago and no response yet. I'll keep using it as a digital timer, but that's about it (PH and temp probes seem ok). If you are really on a budget the only items you really need are a heater controller (or perhaps buying a neo-therm as they are very accurate apparently) and some type of ATO (aquasmart ato seems a good combo of quality and price point). The rest is a bonus.

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't buy a ReefKeeper. Crap company that doesn't support their customers. I liked mine ok until the heater control stuck "on". Fortunately I caught it and my heater itself wasn't set too high.

Things break, but I emailed support about it 2 weeks ago and no response yet. I'll keep using it as a digital timer, but that's about it (PH and temp probes seem ok). If you are really on a budget the only items you really need are a heater controller (or perhaps buying a neo-therm as they are very accurate apparently) and some type of ATO (aquasmart ato seems a good combo of quality and price point). The rest is a bonus.
You probably won't get a response since they quit producing the RK and stopped supporting it.

bryan3536

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two cents: If you have zero controller, picking up a used RK on the cheap is not a bad option for a first step. It’s what I did, and as a stopgap until you save up for an Apex (or decide you really need one), it’s worked out. Mine does a better job as a heat controller than my heaters do, the pH probe is finicky to set up but works well once it is, and it’s nice to customize standby mode on feeding times. I do not use 80% of what it could do. I control my ecotech pumps and powerheads through their web app, not RK; my black box lights through their internal timers, not RK; my ato is a Tunze, not RK; my fuge light is controlled through the AI web app, not RK. I could set up all of these things but haven’t had need. As to support, I’ve heard DA is no help, but this forum has been.

I bought mine from a local guy because it was cheap and he just wanted to get rid of it. It was going to be a toy I messed with for a few months until I got the Apex I thought I needed. Reality though was coming from no controller to a controller, it slowed my burning “need” for a deluxe model Apex with every probe and module they sell, and has made me more selective about when and what I do for the next step. The Apex lite made no sense to me before I had this controller; now it does, as I see there is a market/decision point for reefers who want basic control vs. total control or monitoring. I’m still new to this, and not sure where I will end up, but 4 mos. ago I thought I “needed” an Apex, and now it’s a tough call and I am going to slow my roll until I’m sure.

It’s not at all a long term solution, but if you can pick one up with a few strips and probes for $150 or so it’s worth it. Just don’t overpay - some guys try to fund their Apex purchase with a RK sale, selling them for a little less than a classic used Apex goes for, if you buy at that price you will regret it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back