Beginner Clams / Tips

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Been reefing for a collective decade or so but new to clams. I have a pretty well established Reefer 300XL (65g display, 3'x2'x2') that's been running for about 6 months with Hydra 32's for lighting. I also run Apex and a Trident to keep elements stabilized as I eventually start to move into more challenging SPS.

I've been looking into some general resources on clams and have gathered that Derasa and Squamosa clams seem to be considered the "easiest" to keep in terms of being slightly more forgiving with lighting and water quality. Admittedly, I was a little underwhelmed with these clams' coloration from what I've seen in person, so inevitably my curiosity has started to wander towards Crocea clams (though I'm told they prefer higher placement in the actual rockwork as opposed to the sandbed). I'm looking for something that will pop color-wise under my largely blue spectrum, but obviously and most importantly a species and individual clam that is likely to do well in my aquarium.

I'm also interested in people's experience with ordering online generally as opposed to buying in person. I know that mantle growth is pretty key, among other tells, to decide if a clam is healthy enough, and I wonder how easy it is to be similarly confident even when buying off a WYSIWYG clam.

Otherwise, any tips for a clam newbie but decently experienced reefer would be great, as these animals have always fascinated me. Thanks so much!

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Been reefing for a collective decade or so but new to clams. I have a pretty well established Reefer 300XL (65g display, 3'x2'x2') that's been running for about 6 months with Hydra 32's for lighting. I also run Apex and a Trident to keep elements stabilized as I eventually start to move into more challenging SPS.

I've been looking into some general resources on clams and have gathered that Derasa and Squamosa clams seem to be considered the "easiest" to keep in terms of being slightly more forgiving with lighting and water quality. Admittedly, I was a little underwhelmed with these clams' coloration from what I've seen in person, so inevitably my curiosity has started to wander towards Crocea clams (though I'm told they prefer higher placement in the actual rockwork as opposed to the sandbed). I'm looking for something that will pop color-wise under my largely blue spectrum, but obviously and most importantly a species and individual clam that is likely to do well in my aquarium.

I'm also interested in people's experience with ordering online generally as opposed to buying in person. I know that mantle growth is pretty key, among other tells, to decide if a clam is healthy enough, and I wonder how easy it is to be similarly confident even when buying off a WYSIWYG clam.

Otherwise, any tips for a clam newbie but decently experienced reefer would be great, as these animals have always fascinated me. Thanks so much!
Most of the clams would look best under a white-ish spectrum, and viewed from the top. With correct light and placement, you maybe surprised about how some squamosa and derasa can look.

When you shop for a clam, look for the following: undamaged byssus, non-pinched mantle, and growth band on the shell. These are good checks when buying clams. Oh for rock boring clams such as maxima and crocea, they should react rapidly to shades.

Clams are awesome! Hope you find one (or a few)!!

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think there’s much difference in the ‘hardiness’ between species, but there are definitely differences in light requirements. Maxima/Crocea/Noaea are going to require 350+ PAR. Other species require somewhat less lighting, but I think minimum would be ~200 for all Tridacnae. As long as you have enough light, alkalinity, and calcium, they’re very robust. I have 12 clams, all growing like crazy! Speaking of growing, it’s mperative that they *are* growing, otherwise they’re slowly starving from lack of light.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, clams also need a good supply of Ca and Mg so you may have to dose or have a Ca Rx. The hardiest are the tank raised clams. All have a beauty, but if you are looking for color, crocea or maxima have the brightest usually.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh good point. I dose C-balance which has Mg and trace elements in as well.

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to dose with my trident to hit around 430-450 for Calc for my corals, so I'd expect that to be in range. Once I get to borrow a PAR meter I will take a look at what my current PAR is. I am only running my lights at ~75-80%, and there's about 3ft and a bit distance from the fixtures to the sand bed, so I'm a little worried I might not be hitting 200 PAR all the way down there. I suppose we'll see, but my LFS has preached about how I shouldn't mess with the intensity one way or another given my current corals are adjusted to the current levels and doing so could cause bleaching and other issues.

That all said though, assuming I'm able to make sure conditions are ideal PAR-wise, does anyone have a particular retailer they trust given it's hard to look for the warning signs @MartinM and @J1a mentioned? I'm also curious about placement of the rock-dwelling clams- is there a way to choose a spot where they're unlikely to try and move (and end up bumping into corals, my nem, etc)? I would doubt they move like a scallop but I want to be aware of everything I need to be to choose a good spot for one to begin with, should I go with one of those species

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the tank is stable and you can keep and grow sps then you should b ok with a clam. I have a stripped derasa currently but was from my lfs. No online clam order sry. I did have maxima. Also lfs. My nxt clam will b a blue squamosa. Amazing mantle. It’s growing left is new pic. Lol.

Attachments

• CCA31BF1-1385-4208-B034-08EC58C66C0C.jpeg
    CCA31BF1-1385-4208-B034-08EC58C66C0C.jpeg
    272.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 3F5D866A-2F37-49BB-B6DF-FC0829B850AF.jpeg
    3F5D866A-2F37-49BB-B6DF-FC0829B850AF.jpeg
    273.5 KB · Views: 106
OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is stable and you can keep and grow sps then you should b ok with a clam. I have a stripped derasa currently but was from my lfs. No online clam order sry. I did have maxima. Also lfs. My nxt clam will b a blue squamosa. Amazing mantle. It’s growing left is new pic. Lol.
That clam is beautiful! Are there any solid places (besides Diver's Den, which I've been hawking over haha) where you can choose a WYSIWYG? I'm realizing that even outside of Crocea clams there can be a lot of variety- like as much as I love this Squamosa clam pictured for Biota, I'm doubting mine would look nearly as great! I'm a fan of the pink variety

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That clam is beautiful! Are there any solid places (besides Diver's Den, which I've been hawking over haha) where you can choose a WYSIWYG? I'm realizing that even outside of Crocea clams there can be a lot of variety- like as much as I love this Squamosa clam pictured for Biota, I'm doubting mine would look nearly as great! I'm a fan of the pink variety

I wouldn't hesitate to contact Biota directly. Also, give @PacificEastAquaculture a call as well. I know Vivid here in SoCal have a few small croceas and they were $100ea, not bad considering most of them at that size (around 2") are $150. I'm guessing these are from ORA. Do you have a LFS that can order ORA livestock?

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful because a lot of SPS are tolerant/thrive at lower lighting. This rule of thumb works for Deresas and Squamosas typically, but not necessarily for maxima/crocea/noae

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to dose with my trident to hit around 430-450 for Calc for my corals, so I'd expect that to be in range. Once I get to borrow a PAR meter I will take a look at what my current PAR is. I am only running my lights at ~75-80%, and there's about 3ft and a bit distance from the fixtures to the sand bed, so I'm a little worried I might not be hitting 200 PAR all the way down there. I suppose we'll see, but my LFS has preached about how I shouldn't mess with the intensity one way or another given my current corals are adjusted to the current levels and doing so could cause bleaching and other issues.

That all said though, assuming I'm able to make sure conditions are ideal PAR-wise, does anyone have a particular retailer they trust given it's hard to look for the warning signs @MartinM and @J1a mentioned? I'm also curious about placement of the rock-dwelling clams- is there a way to choose a spot where they're unlikely to try and move (and end up bumping into corals, my nem, etc)? I would doubt they move like a scallop but I want to be aware of everything I need to be to choose a good spot for one to begin with, should I go with one of those species
My aquariums are in Japan, so my clams are nearly all from Okinawa, with an exception being 3 aquaculture maximas from Tonga. IME, both sources have very healthy clams, of the dozen I have, not one arrived with parasites or problems.

Compared to 20 years ago, it’s a lot more difficult to get clams now. I’m not sure why that is, maybe the fact that demand is low when compared to coral and fish. I believe most LFS/importers can get aquaculture clams from Tonga or Marshall Islands, but rarely do because of the low demand. It’s been over ten years since I was involved with the hobby commercially so I don’t have any up-to-date info. @PacificEastAquaculture may have more info!

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the recommendations! My only notable concern right now is about PAR levels. I haven't been able to find a PAR meter anywhere - it's been a bit of a nightmare - so I don't technically know what my PAR is in various parts of my tank.

I'm running two Hydra 32's about 10.5 inches above the water, and the sand bed is about 20 inches below that, so call it 30 inches from light fixture to potential Squamosa placement area. I run them on about 80% intensity with a very blue spectrum on, at least for now (I wanted to increase the intensity, but I caused a chalice to bleach with only a few % increase over a few weeks so I'm extremely wary to change anything now). This is obviously very unscientific, but any ideas on whether this roughly sounds suitable for a bottom-dwelling clam? I have a place potentially in mind if I go with a Crocea, but I always had a clam in mind for this sandy area of my scape so I'm partial to a sand dwelling option I'd say.

Edit- checked back and had misremembered my settings

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw their video, just hard to translate into my tank given my spectrum.Just put a post out on the PAR R2R forum to see if I get any general estimates. I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least in ballpark range but don't want to just blindly take the risk either

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the recommendations! My only notable concern right now is about PAR levels. I haven't been able to find a PAR meter anywhere - it's been a bit of a nightmare - so I don't technically know what my PAR is in various parts of my tank.

I'm running two Hydra 32's about 10.5 inches above the water, and the sand bed is about 20 inches below that, so call it 30 inches from light fixture to potential Squamosa placement area. I run them on about 80% intensity with a very blue spectrum on, at least for now (I wanted to increase the intensity, but I caused a chalice to bleach with only a few % increase over a few weeks so I'm extremely wary to change anything now). This is obviously very unscientific, but any ideas on whether this roughly sounds suitable for a bottom-dwelling clam? I have a place potentially in mind if I go with a Crocea, but I always had a clam in mind for this sandy area of my scape so I'm partial to a sand dwelling option I'd say.

Edit- checked back and had misremembered my settings
You can buy a PAR meter on BRS and use it and return it within 60 days snd they will return your money less a restocking fee. It’s basically renting a PAR meter. They advertise it this way on their videos although I haven’t personally done it.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a hydra 26. Liked it for my needs at the time plenty par. Run redsea 2x90 at 15k @100% acros are growing and the clam is happy like 28 inches down on sand

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back