OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy a PAR meter on BRS and use it and return it within 60 days snd they will return your money less a restocking fee. It’s basically renting a PAR meter. They advertise it this way on their videos although I haven’t personally done it.
What is the restocking fee like?

Anyone else use Hydra's that might be able to compare your settings?

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Been reefing for a collective decade or so but new to clams. I have a pretty well established Reefer 300XL (65g display, 3'x2'x2') that's been running for about 6 months with Hydra 32's for lighting. I also run Apex and a Trident to keep elements stabilized as I eventually start to move into more challenging SPS.

I've been looking into some general resources on clams and have gathered that Derasa and Squamosa clams seem to be considered the "easiest" to keep in terms of being slightly more forgiving with lighting and water quality. Admittedly, I was a little underwhelmed with these clams' coloration from what I've seen in person, so inevitably my curiosity has started to wander towards Crocea clams (though I'm told they prefer higher placement in the actual rockwork as opposed to the sandbed). I'm looking for something that will pop color-wise under my largely blue spectrum, but obviously and most importantly a species and individual clam that is likely to do well in my aquarium.

I'm also interested in people's experience with ordering online generally as opposed to buying in person. I know that mantle growth is pretty key, among other tells, to decide if a clam is healthy enough, and I wonder how easy it is to be similarly confident even when buying off a WYSIWYG clam.

Otherwise, any tips for a clam newbie but decently experienced reefer would be great, as these animals have always fascinated me. Thanks so much!
i have a hippopus (2.5"), crocea (1.4"), squamosa (4.5") and derasa (also 4.5") and they've all been quite easy to keep, i dose phyto and oyster feast 3 times a week to keep em growing, just make sure they have a rock to grab onto and beware of hermits falling into them, overall i'd say they're moderate in terms of care.

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the tank is stable and you can keep and grow sps then you should b ok with a clam. I have a stripped derasa currently but was from my lfs. No online clam order sry. I did have maxima. Also lfs. My nxt clam will b a blue squamosa. Amazing mantle. It’s growing left is new pic. Lol.
Beautiful clam!

Back