Beginner looking for advice

lilcreation05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to the hobby been doing research for years and never pulled the trigger I recently bought the Eshopps desktop nano tank 4.8gallons and was looking for some advice and feedback of what to stock it with and just overall tips and tricks in general I know it’s gonna be difficult and I look forward to the challenge was thinking of keeping two baby clown fish a pistol shrimp and small watchman goby will this bio load be to much?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to the hobby been doing research for years and never pulled the trigger I recently bought the Eshopps desktop nano tank 4.8gallons and was looking for some advice and feedback of what to stock it with and just overall tips and tricks in general I know it’s gonna be difficult and I look forward to the challenge was thinking of keeping two baby clown fish a pistol shrimp and small watchman goby will this bio load be to much?
Welcome! Your tank is much too small for clownfish. Unless you plan to significantly upgrade on the next 6 months or so, stick with true nano-appropriate fish.
It's not bioload as much as space in general.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that 4.8 gallons is way too small for a pair of clowns (I wouldn’t put one in less than 15g and 20g for two). I would say one small watchman goby (some of them get to be 4-5”) and pistol shrimp and maybe a neon goby or clown goby. Two very small fish (small at adult size) would be the absolute max. Even with just two very small fish and a shrimp, you’re going to run into nutrient issues, so large regular water changes are going to be key. Also, if you go with the gobies (and really any fish in such a shallow tank, a lid is a necessity, they will jump out if you don’t keep it covered (my theory is that they think they are stuck in a tide pool and jump to try to get to deeper water).

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 54 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.0%
Back