Beginner who needs advice

Sigecaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

So I decided to get into reefing a couple of months ago. I've been doing a lot of research and trying to debate which equipment would be best to start off with. I was originally was going to get a 2'x2' tank, but ended up ordering the 220.6 reef pro from Waterbox last week. I am truly hoping the "go as big as you can" holds true, especially since this is my first tank. The tank should be arriving in about 1 - 2 months so I have time to get the rest of the gear in order. I'm planning for a mix reef with fish. I don't plan on going sps dominate, but will have some. The following are the items I am contemplating on buying:

lights - 2-3 radion gen 5 XR30 or 4-6 radion gen 5 XR15 (not sure which set up would be better and if I will get blue or pro)
skimmer - regal 200int 8" internal protein skimmer
power head - 2 vortech mp40qd
ATO - osmolator universal 3155
Heater - not sure since there are so many negative reviews, but will get 2 with a controller
return pump - vectra m2
filtration - fleece roller (if sump will fit it) with 1 sock
refugium - not sure if chaeto, reactor or algae scrubber would be best option
refugium light (if using chaeto) - AI refugium light or kessil 360 refugium light if its truly worth an extra $200
controller - apex
dosing - unsure if I need one during the early period of the tank
UV sterilizer - still debating if I'm going to use one. Room needed may be an issue

I will also be using live sand, dry rock and bacteria additive to start the cycle. Going to set up an RODI storage system in the house to make the water changes a bit easier. Any advice on the items I am thinking about or anything I'm missing will be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'll be back here again as the stages progress.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! I am going with the BRS Heater controller and titanium heaters for my 225 gal build. I plan on running 3 300 watt heaters. I will add the controller and the 3rd heater to my Apex.

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! A lot of nice items on the list - I'm a big fan of that skimmer!

Clownfish.gif

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found a simple ATS is much more affective then a Refugium. Inexpensive red and blue LED grow lights from Amazon work fantastic and will save you $175 over some other options.
I would start cycling your dry rock now. Dry rock takes a long time to become true live rock. The bacteria’s help with the cycle but do not provide the same benefit of true live rock. Try to get some live rock to seed your tank with. It will save you 6 months or more in some cases to getting you tank established and doing well. Good luck!

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome
I will second the BRS Titanium heaters and Apex to control temp.
All your choices are great.

I added a UV after researching and have to say I feel it is a good thing to have for algae control. You need to understand and have the proper wattage and flow rate for your use. Algae or Parasite control.

There are a lot of testing kits out there these are important items you need to have.
I recommend the Hanna line. Click here I don't like the Salinity checker the only Hanna product that IME is not good.
I like own and prefer these click on the links.
TMP Hydrometer
BRS Refractometer
Milwaukee

I use the ATI kit for my cycling needs Click here.
Not the best but it works for cycling IMO.

Pick a 7 stage RO/DI unit. It will save you money in the long run on resins.

Study the Nitrogen cycle and learn it well. Click here First post.
I would get your rock and sand started on cycling now in a Brute trashcan.
Simple process and you can get that part out of the way now so when your tank gets here you can set it up and add some fish.
Just need the sand, rock, Saltwater, a pump, your bacteria, and a frozen shrimp or two.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

RedNeil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I was told to start with a small tank so I bought the fluval flex 52ltr and if I could keep on top of water changes, feeding and water quality for a year then go bigger, its more of a test on how keen you are at keeping a marine tank because of the time and frequency of water testing, water changes and maintenance on the tank. Its you're choice to go big but if things go wrong you have more to lose. I hope this never happens and happy Reefing

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I was told to start with a small tank so I bought the fluval flex 52ltr and if I could keep on top of water changes, feeding and water quality for a year then go bigger, its more of a test on how keen you are at keeping a marine tank because of the time and frequency of water testing, water changes and maintenance on the tank. Its you're choice to go big but if things go wrong you have more to lose. I hope this never happens and happy Reefing

Hey we all start somehow.
I am not a proponent of starting small, but many start out this way and wind up with very nice tanks.

OP
OP
S

Sigecaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found a simple ATS is much more affective then a Refugium. Inexpensive red and blue LED grow lights from Amazon work fantastic and will save you $175 over some other options.
I would start cycling your dry rock now. Dry rock takes a long time to become true live rock. The bacteria’s help with the cycle but do not provide the same benefit of true live rock. Try to get some live rock to seed your tank with. It will save you 6 months or more in some cases to getting you tank established and doing well. Good luck!
Thanks for the info. Is there any way to dial back or increase intake on an ATS? I know with a refugium you control how much nutrients it takes in by controlling the amount of light time.
Also for the rock. Is all dry rick the same? I saw some at a store for $5/lb yesterday, and a buddy said he bought 40 lb from online for about $70.
And for the rock cycling, do I just put it in the trash can with rodi water, bacteria and a pump?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Is there any way to dial back or increase intake on an ATS? I know with a refugium you control how much nutrients it takes in by controlling the amount of light time.
Also for the rock. Is all dry rick the same? I saw some at a store for $5/lb yesterday, and a buddy said he bought 40 lb from online for about $70.
And for the rock cycling, do I just put it in the trash can with rodi water, bacteria and a pump?

The ATS can be controlled by using more or less light hours as well.
Typically you want the ATS and or fuge to run opposite the tank lights.
This helps to keep PH stabilized.

To cycle the rock it needs to be in Saltwater. I recommend using the same salt mix and salinity level. 1.026.

No, not all rock is the same.
Online sales from a retailer should be as advertised.
Online from Craig's list, eBay, or other private sale is a whole different issue.

Dry rock at MY LFS (Local Fish Store) is $3.00 a pound.
Live rock at MY LFS is around $5-6 per pound.

Private sales are fine as long as you can trust the person selling it.
If you don't know the history I would pass. Some will disagree but YMMV.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back