Beginnings of the Acro Reef --- RS Reefer 425

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice
i can controller Vortech mp40 with GHL ?
now i have only reefbot that test my aquarium and change dose manual
Oh yeah. IMO it's the only way to go. Various programs throughout the day. Much better than what Vortech offers, even with Mobiux.
I also have two lx7206 which the P4 controls. I'm invested in GHL. No regrets.

OP
OP
Vinny@GHLUSA

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what fish do you plan to have?
Good question. :)

The fish list has not been finalized yet, but here's the...
Unofficial fish list
3 - 5 Blue Green Chromis
2 - 3 Springeri Damsels (For pest prevention)
5 Lyretail or Dispar Anthias
1 Purple tang
1 Mitratus Butterfly
2 Heniochus Butterfly (Maybe)
1 Yellow coris wrasse

I'm a big fan of pencil wrasses too because they've also helped me with pest control in my past tank. The heniochus butterflys are a big maybe because I tried some before and they ended up taking a liking to my scolys and trachy pieces. From what I've read, there are two types out there which can be told apart by the shape of their mouth. Ideally, if I do choose to try this fish out, I would want to pick it up from a LFS since I could see exactly what I'd be getting.

OP
OP
Vinny@GHLUSA

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I look at the spread of the LX 7206 it says 35″ x 23″. If the light is mounted perpendicular to the tank like Vinny has it mounted, is the 35" spread to the left and right of the fixture?
The way I have it mounted will give me about 36" of spread front to back. Left to right, I am getting 24" spread. I decided to mount them this way mostly for aesthetic reasons, but also because it gave me room to add a 3rd light.

OP
OP
Vinny@GHLUSA

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amazing build, please share with us as much information as possible for the ghl controller and customization it can do
becouse i am planing now to get the full GHL to my system
Information there will be plenty. :)
Stay tuned!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Amazing job so far!

OP
OP
Vinny@GHLUSA

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build update: Special delivery from Bashsea Life Support Masters

The ATO and Water Change reservoirs have arrived!
Unwrapping these tanks felt like Christmas all over again. After talking with Steve Bashsea and sending him a few drawings, he knew exactly what to do to make these look their best.

The quality and design of these came out perfectly. I could not have asked for a better outcome. :)

These tanks will be next on each side of the display, out of sight. One side will hold the ATO tank (10 gal) and the other side will hold the WC tank (15 gal). The WC side will have a GHL Doser Maxi inside the same cabinet. This doser will be used for doing the WC task.

Now for some pictures!
20200729_134600.jpg
20200729_135659-crop.jpg

20200729_145612.jpg

20200729_145348-crop.jpg
20200729_150228-crop.jpg

20200729_145516-crop.jpg

20200729_143522-crop.jpg

20200729_143415-crop.jpg

And now for the dry fit...
20200729_142548-crop.jpg

What's next?
Now that the tank hit the 4 week cycling mark, it will be time to add some fish to the tank. The first batch will be 3 Blue Green Chromis. I leave these in the tank for two weeks before adding any more fish. On the meantime, I'm waiting for the next big step for this setup...Custom GHL equipment display!

Last edited:

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ut-oh! .......Vinny, GHL will not be very happy with you for using red. Blue and White man. Blue and white.

hellsangelbx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Vinny@GHLUSA amazing build. Question how do the mitras do In Spectrum. How close are they to Ati bulb spectrum? I always love the GHL lights but some people who purchased the have talked me out of them. So in love with the design of them

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Vinny@GHLUSA amazing build. Question how do the mitras do In Spectrum. How close are they to Ati bulb spectrum? I always love the GHL lights but some people who purchased the have talked me out of them. So in love with the design of them
Vinny works for GHL. Of course he's going to recommend the lights. You should be doing more research from people that own them. I own two and love them along with many others on here.
Before deciding to buy these I did my research on the forums here about them.
Needles to say there was plenty of positive reactions from people that own them.
Another thing to look at when purchasing anything related to reefing.
Look at what's for sale used on here. I see plenty of Kessils, Radions, AI primes, etc, etc for sale used.
I very rarely see any Mitras for sale on here. That leads me to believe that either people don't buy them because they don't work or people buy them and keep them because they are happy with them and no longer need to search for something that fits their needs. I've had mine for two+ years.
I don't think I'll ever sell them as they are upgradable.

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’ll be watching this thread like a hawk! Lol. I’ve been soooo up in the air about what direction I want to take my SPS build controller wise, and this thread could be the very thing I need to finalize that decision!!! Can I get a little more info on how to run the mp40s through this controller please? And please don’t flame me for this, but is it possible to do the same with the xr30 gen 5s? I’ve heard great things about the GHL lights, don’t get me wrong!!! But I know first hand how much I love my gen5 blues. Besides if it isn’t possible maybe that’s the push I need to try the GHL lights? Lol.

hellsangelbx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Scdell Thanks for letting me know. I had people that owned the Mitras talk me out and then I had a person like @slief who had Kessils and switched to the GHL. The only problem is that you can't find alot of information on the lights and the one of the few people really that are scientifically testing out par and spectrum are @Bulk Reef Supply and they for some reason don't sell the lights. I would love for someone with those lights give us some real life video and scenerio to show their lights. Also, how do they compare to the G5, Hydra, Kessils, etc... Ascetically i love the way the GHL Mitras look just don't have enough info.
@I'ma tempermental Coral i totally agree with you, I think thats a fair question to ask especially if you purchased them already. To be honest though I noticed that Ecotech has created the mobius app and I think that was done in order to make their system run off of their own app and great a ecotech ecosystem.
@Vinny@GHLUSA you definitely have inspired myself and the start to my new tank build. I speak to people who talk me out of GHL and I started thinking Apex as of recent as those are the main two platforms but with this think that I am back to GHL. Hopefully you could answer alot of our questions to assist in the future for us. Much success on the new build and please document as much as you can so we can learn and fascinate with you. Cheers!

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@hellsangelbx thank you! And yes it seems as though ETM is at least attempting to enter the controller game with Mobius. And in time it may be a great system. That said I am probably not gonna wait around for them to sort it all out to bring to market what GHL has already and has incoming soon. So if I could still use MPs AND XRs and run them through GHL that would turn the tide for me and completely convince me to go GHL for this system. Being able to control every piece of equipment under one app is my goal and would be lovely!!!

hellsangelbx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
@hellsangelbx thank you! And yes it seems as though ETM is at least attempting to enter the controller game with Mobius. And in time it may be a great system. That said I am probably not gonna wait around for them to sort it all out to bring to market what GHL has already and has incoming soon. So if I could still use MPs AND XRs and run them through GHL that would turn the tide for me and completely convince me to go GHL for this system. Being able to control every piece of equipment under one app is my goal and would be lovely!!!
Totally agreed thats why you buy a aquarium controller in order to control and oversee everything through yiur controller.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up 3 - LX 7206's used (4 months old) right here on R2R. I was getting them configured today and I thought I would test out my new Spectometer from Pasco. So here's some images.
The first image is from the light composer with all LED's set to 100%. The 2nd image is from the Spectrometer. I'm still in the learning phase of efficiency levels, etc so I didn't touch any of those settings.

74489018-1252-48CC-945C-58FE59D45109.jpeg
A2B60910-6361-4F68-A517-2761D7C1F8F4.jpeg

The next set of images is with just the UV and blues at 100%.

67745095-0BEC-4BD5-8224-12AF7C13AA86.jpeg
5CA17E5D-6D23-47B6-A027-F69B285D805C.jpeg

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KenO Thanks for sharing. Again I'm a big fan. Would love to see some video on the light. How do you like them?
Too early to say. They arrived late yesterday and I spent today getting them reset (since they were used), connected to my home internet and configured into the GHL software. It will take me a few days to get through the manual and reading online about configuring them. Let the fun begin.

hellsangelbx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Vinny@GHLUSA question, can GHL Maxi doser push 20 feet of head pressure vertically and 20 feet horizontally? Definitely important for my build, in order to do water changes?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back