Bellus Angel is not reef safe

kevindo123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should remove reef safe/compatible label for this fish.

Beware of getting this Angel. It was good for two weeks then started to pick on all my SPS and my prized Gorgonian.

I guess the reason people are able to keep one more more is that they have a lot more SPS so the concentration for nipping on corals is spread out. I do not recommend this Angel in a new SPS tank. It is a bad idea.

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine's been good for almost 1 year. Yeah, she picks now and again but never enough to do damage and I've never seen her go after acropora (mainly LPS).

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the most part bellus angels are completely reef safe, in the wild they are planktivores. However, there can always be exceptions. It sounds as though this is one of those rare exceptions.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Bellus in a SPS loaded tank for the last 3.5 years, never seen them nipping on any of my corals.
Now I do have a Bandit and Flame that nip on my SPS but by nipping it won't hurt the SPS it's the opposite it works in favor of the SPS as they grow a bit faster and more compact shape.
IMO any angel from the Genicanthus will be good for a reef tank, if occasionally nipping appears it will never hurt the coral.

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on above post have several angels picking my sps never lost a frag or colony to picking...... Only disadvantage I have noticed is my polyp extension is not as promenent on branches more exposed....

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on above post have several angels picking my sps never lost a frag or colony to picking...... Only disadvantage I have noticed is my polyp extension is not as promenent on branches more exposed....

That's one disadvantage if you have angels, but plenty of polyps during the night, just as on the real reef :)

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True,... Have been thinking about a golden puffer that follows me around , with the "pick me sir" look in his puppy dog eyes at my LFS,....sacrificing a little Polyp extension I can accept chunks of those 100 dollar frags not so cool.

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
surprised to hear that. I have a Lamarck's angel which is also a planktivore, and it pays no attention to my coral.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back