Bellus angel not swimming / back heavy?

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a bellus angel and while in qt it got velvet which was treated with a formalin dip and she is now in copper I'm slowly bringing up to 2.5. The velvet looks 99% better but she swims tail heavy and has started sitting on the bottom. I'm guessing it's a swim bladder infection but I'm not sure. Any advice?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I recently got a bellus angel and while in qt it got velvet which was treated with a formalin dip and she is now in copper I'm slowly bringing up to 2.5. The velvet looks 99% better but she swims tail heavy and has started sitting on the bottom. I'm guessing it's a swim bladder infection but I'm not sure. Any advice?
can be a buoyancy issue and possibly from internal infection or reaction to low copper. Do not slowly raise copper but rather within 48 hours at therapuetic level 2.25-2.5 for a FULL 30 days and monitoring the level with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand- NO Api Brand.
I would recommend also to have the display tank fishless for 3-4 weeks minimum to assure the velvet which is a flagellate is in remission.
Pics under white lighting will be helpful.
Is fish eating ?
is its breathing normal or labored ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on a short video taken under white light!

Jay

OP
OP
E

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to get pics. She was eating yesterday but doesn't seem interested since she started laying own today. Should I do any kind of antibiotic with the copper or just get it to 2.5 and wait?

OP
OP
E

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video

Best I could do for now?

She is eating but I had to move her out of her hiding spot so she could find it. Looks like the velvet is much better. She eats decently, she just won't float.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video

Best I could do for now?

She is eating but I had to move her out of her hiding spot so she could find it. Looks like the velvet is much better. She eats decently, she just won't float.

Sorry - the video wouldn't load for me. You can try a private YouTube link.

Is the fish sinking or floating?
That the fish is eating is a really good sign though.....

Jay

OP
OP
E

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so she's laying on the bottom breathing heavy. She will still swim a bit but does anyone have any actual advice here?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so she's laying on the bottom breathing heavy. She will still swim a bit but does anyone have any actual advice here?

Not much to say without a video. A lot of fish disease issues transpire so quickly that the question/answer format just doesn't work in time.

Looking at the timline, it went from eating to being moribund in 14 hours? There really isn't anything you can do when a fish drops out that fast. Severe water quality issues or Amyloodinium (velvet) are two things that act that fast.

You can try a 5 minute FW dip, but on a moribund fish, that is likely to be fatal (but the fish will die anyways, so perhaps worth the chance?)

Jay

OP
OP
E

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly why asking questions on these forums is utterly useless.

I posted detailed info in the first post, yet had to restate details 3 times in the thread. Rather than offer some advice for swim bladder issues. Or even read the first post and say hey tail down usually isnt swim bladder issues. That sounds like spinal issues. But if it is swim bladder maybe dry medicating with this. If not may be read this post here. Either way metro would be a good idea.

Any one of those responses would be useful. But no, you needed a video first.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly why asking questions on these forums is utterly useless.

I posted detailed info in the first post, yet had to restate details 3 times in the thread. Rather than offer some advice for swim bladder issues. Or even read the first post and say hey tail down usually isnt swim bladder issues. That sounds like spinal issues. But if it is swim bladder maybe dry medicating with this. If not may be read this post here. Either way metro would be a good idea.

Any one of those responses would be useful. But no, you needed a video first.

Sorry that you didn’t get the answer that you wanted. Your first post said you were “guessing” that it was a swimbladder issue. I prefer not to guess so I asked to see a video to help confirm that. I was very responsive to your posts, even though I had no video to work with. I never heard anything back after my Sunday morning post...

We are not always able to diagnose issues remotely, and then some problems simply have no good solutions. However, this is the best process we have;

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%

Back