BeltedCoyote’s reboot: the birth of the leviathan

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve thought about using stock tubs for a sump. Just haven’t been able to figure out how to get decent baffles in them. Still, definitely food for thought
Just measured my 65 gallon tote from lowes. 19 tall 39 long 20 wide.
I may just get 2 more of these and redo them for new set up. Indestructible as well. And you can drill them and put your own emergency overflow as well.

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got through reading the whole thread and saw the test kits you got. I wound up with a spare free Hanna LR nitrate kit last week (it's a pain to use lol, and I already have one) But it's yours if you want it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just measured my 65 gallon tote from lowes. 19 tall 39 long 20 wide.
I may just get 2 more of these and redo them for new set up. Indestructible as well. And you can drill them and put your own emergency overflow as well.

how does that work out with a skimmer and return pump? I always thought baffles were a must?

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got through reading the whole thread and saw the test kits you got. I wound up with a spare free Hanna LR nitrate kit last week (it's a pain to use lol, and I already have one) But it's yours if you want it.

Hey I won’t turn down free. If nothing else it’d be a backup

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how does that work out with a skimmer and return pump? I always thought baffles were a must?
Mine are currently full of live rock with powerheads and skimmers.
Even have a gravity feed float in one of them.
No baffles, dividers or anything.
I keep the bottom free of detritus with powerhead and directed towards skimmers.
Its been working out real well for the way im set up.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine are currently full of live rock with powerheads and skimmers.
Even have a gravity feed float in one of them.
No baffles, dividers or anything.
I keep the bottom free of detritus with powerhead and directed towards skimmers.
Its been working out real well for the way im set up.
same ,siphon out debris ..maybe once a yr..have not done any of mine yet..started 12'er last july... ;)

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same ,siphon out debris ..maybe once a yr..have not done any of mine yet..started 12'er last july... ;)
Yeah I think the key for me was getting rock set up in sump to allow for flow and heavy water movement. I have 5 fish in sump 2 and hardly any detritus at all. I have to look for it to find it:D
20210511_170705_1.gif

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think the key for me was getting rock set up in sump to allow for flow and heavy water movement. I have 5 fish in sump 2 and hardly any detritus at all. I have to look for it to find it:D
20210511_170705_1.gif

Very tempted. @F i s h y going this route wouldn’t screw things up for you with your glass guy would it?

I don’t have enough rock to fill such a sump yet, but I imagine I can add more as I go

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would also provide more room for a worst case scenario as far as backflow I’d imagine?
Yes I set my float valve at half way mark in sump 1. It is connected to sump 2.
Dont care if it overflows as long as it doesn't flood. I could completely drain 2 tables into my sumps with all the extra room.
You can pretty much set the totes up however you want to. Super convenient.

Last edited:

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont care if it overflows as long as it doesn't flood. I could completely drain 2 tables into my sumps with all the extra room.
You can pretty much set the totes up however you want to. Super comvenient.
Ah to have the sq ft for that setup...

Happy Man City GIF by BT Sport

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can pretty much set the totes up however you want to. Super convenient.

Well, I’m pretty much sold. Going to try and be reasonable and sleep on it as I usually immediate change plans for what seems like a good idea. But this does seem like a good idea. If nothing else because I suspect it’d take a heck of a lot to flood one of these

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah to have the sq ft for that setup...

Happy Man City GIF by BT Sport
Very true. Im going to miss this set up as crazy and ghetto as it is its super efficient and simple. I do love these totes. I also love my open metal rack stands as well. I still may do totes. Its just to easy.
Not sure how big leviathan stand is but would bet coyote could get one under it and be comfortable.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true. Im going to miss this set up as crazy and ghetto as it is its super efficient and simple. I do love these totes. I also love my open metal rack stands as well. I still may do totes. Its just to easy.
Not sure how big leviathan stand is but would bet coyote could get one under it and be comfortable.

leviathan will be my future 240+. The stand I have is for my 120g. The name was changed when I got the go ahead from my lady to get a bigger tank. I realized I’m to impatient to save up for my dream tank without some sort of reef so I’m running with the 120. I messaged Daniel the mod about changing the thread back to the original size category but he never responded so I guess it’s okay lol

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leviathan will be my future 240+. The stand I have is for my 120g. The name was changed when I got the go ahead from my lady to get a bigger tank. I realized I’m to impatient to save up for my dream tank without some sort of reef so I’m running with the 120. I messaged Daniel the mod about changing the thread back to the original size category but he never responded so I guess it’s okay lol
Dang my bad that tank you showed looks alot bigger.
Whats your stand dimensions?

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang my bad that tank you showed looks alot bigger.
Whats your stand dimensions?

no worries! It’s a bit of a monster. It’s 4x2x 3 or so. Haven’t measured the height. It’s welded steel so it’s got some presence. I plan on wrapping it or getting so magnets and attaching some wood panels to it once I have the actual build set up and the tank running

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no worries! It’s a bit of a monster. It’s 4x2x 3 or so. Haven’t measured the height. It’s welded steel so it’s got some presence. I plan on wrapping it or getting so magnets and attaching some wood panels to it once I have the actual build set up and the tank running
36" deep?! I hope you have a grabber or Jon Jones wingspan...

Edit: 36" tall!?

Last edited:

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very tempted. @F i s h y going this route wouldn’t screw things up for you with your glass guy would it?

I don’t have enough rock to fill such a sump yet, but I imagine I can add more as I go
Haven't heard back yet on if he found scrap we could use. If nothing else I'll need a 40B sump when I move the nems or set up the 90 so shouldn't be an issue at all.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back