BeltedCoyote’s reboot: the birth of the leviathan

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope for the best but ALWAYS plan for the worst...

We had a power outage not long ago. I knew my sump could handle any backflow. What I didn't account for was the line from my ato being below the water line of the sump when it was filled with back flow. Additionally, the siphon break on my Ato was covered because I wasn't paying attention and over filled my reservoir. My ato back siphoned my sump. I didn't catch it until I heard water splashing in my stand. I have it sealed to hold up to 4 gallons should an overflow occur. It was half full. Had I been at work or sleeping when the power went out I would have ended up with probably 10 to 15 gallons on the floor. Not to mention my pump would have started back up and drained my return chamber running dry. Could have been "catastrophic "... just saying even with all the planning you just never know...
This is why I made a simple "ramp" to minimize splashing from my ato instead of dropping my piping lower. I was in the middle of installing my ato line when I noticed the high water line from an earlier WC with my return off:oops:. I've still got a tiny drip when my ato kicks on but it's worth the peace of mind.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We call these street elbows over here.
One end male and one end female.
Sweeping elbow just has more of a bend to it so offers less resistance .
Rather than it going straight down then straight 90 degree bend.it gets the 90 degree more fluidly.
Fluidly not word im looking for.it 3 am here and cant find word im looking for lol.
I will go with as above " more of a bend to it lol "

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210518-024927_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210518-024927_Chrome.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 33

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I learned the easy way about siphon. When I added a little length of pvc to get my main return angled into my Y splitter it did siphon back out until it couldn't siphon anymore. Luckily I did preplan for that and built my sumps to handle and extra 40 gallons easy so it didn't bite me.
Moving forward with new set up its whole new ballgame for sure.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
correct,same here ,that pic is street,we have sweep also.. @F i s h y ,menards is calling it hub 90..???

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All this talk of extra room for backflow. Starting to wonder if I should go with a 53g for the sump. Same footprint as a 40b but 6 extra inches in height...

Meme Think GIF
40b with 5" free is about 14 gallons available for backflow on my system.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m honestly surprised. But not complaining lol I just hope the end result warrants all the attention lol

as far as the 40b vs 53g goes. I guess it depends on how much possible back flow right? If I understand it correctly, say I have my returns 2in under the waterline. That equates to 2inches of water in the sump, whatever the gallonage might be?

so take that plus possible ato malfunction like you had @F i s h y maybe I should go with the slightly bigger sump? Probably won’t because I’ve spent enough but yeah haha. It’s an addiction

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m honestly surprised. But not complaining lol I just hope the end result warrants all the attention lol

as far as the 40b vs 53g goes. I guess it depends on how much possible back flow right? If I understand it correctly, say I have my returns 2in under the waterline. That equates to 2inches of water in the sump, whatever the gallonage might be?

so take that plus possible ato malfunction like you had @F i s h y maybe I should go with the slightly bigger sump? Probably won’t because I’ve spent enough but yeah haha. It’s an addiction
My mantra is always bigger is better...

;)

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2 inches of your display gallons... LxWx2"(depth) = cubic inches. Roughly 231 CI per gallon

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Best thing to do would be test it to really see just how much water gets pulled back out.
Bigger is always better. There's so much more you can do with a sump. My fish have been living nicely in one of mine for a cpl months until I can get them back up top covered.
You can check out different totes as well and see if you can find something that better fits your needs.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing to do would be test it to really see just how much water gets pulled back out.
Bigger is always better. There's so much more you can do with a sump. My fish have been living nicely in one of mine for a cpl months until I can get them back up top covered.
You can check out different totes as well and see if you can find something that better fits your needs.

I’ve thought about using stock tubs for a sump. Just haven’t been able to figure out how to get decent baffles in them. Still, definitely food for thought

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back