OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Trying to be pragmatic but still get some pretty stuff.

do still kinda want to be crazy and have a dragon in the leviathan.
thinking think GIF by The Album Leaf

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda want to get an oxyidator.

not sure what to look for

@najer i seem to recall you’re a fan of oxydators. Any tips or tricks?

You want the model A one, buy spare catalyts as you will curse when one bounces down the plug hole, you can vary the peroxide strength to suit the tank.
Not sure where you get them over there Sochting Oxydator should be the search words you need.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love mine, need to get it set back up.

where’d you get yours?

You want the model A one, buy spare catalyts as you will curse when one bounces down the plug hole, you can vary the peroxide strength to suit the tank.
Not sure where you get them over there Sochting Oxydator should be the search words you need.

gotcha. Yeah that’s the only one that’s been coming up for me. Good to know though, thanks

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxidators are nice things. Just start slow and I suggest getting a DO test kit to check things for the first bit of it.

I use 12% and a W in my dual 180s with 2 catalysts. Tank sits right around 7.6-7.8mgl. Tried 3 catalysts and it started to tick the nems off when it got close to 8.1-8.2 mgl. I can also run less, as the tank has plants in areas that get light 24 hours a day (just at different times). This helps with where my base o2 levels sit.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxidators are nice things. Just start slow and I suggest getting a DO test kit to check things for the first bit of it.

I use 12% and a W in my dual 180s with 2 catalysts. Tank sits right around 7.6-7.8mgl. Tried 3 catalysts and it started to tick the nems off when it got close to 8.1-8.2 mgl. I can also run less, as the tank has plants in areas that get light 24 hours a day (just at different times). This helps with where my base o2 levels sit.

DO meaning dissolved oxygen, right?

will do. Thanks! So is there a “healthy” level of DO that’s a guideline to follow or is this more of a tank by tank/system by system sort of deal?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO meaning dissolved oxygen, right?

will do. Thanks! So is there a “healthy” level of DO that’s a guideline to follow or is this more of a tank by tank/system by system sort of deal?
Correct for DO.

For level. 5.5 to 8 mg/l. A little higher (like .1 or .2) doesn’t typically hurt things, but with a margin of error on the test kits one cannot be sure what way that margin goes.

Too little oxygen and nothing can respirate correctly. Too high and you have a strong oxidizer. Think bleach when too high and dragnet water when too low.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realized today the blue disco that’s on a piece of rock by itself has made two babies.

got a few more margarita snails and six Caribbean blue hermits. Water change tomorrow.

saw the ruby mithrax in a different rock today. Also think I saw an absolutely tiny one.

other corals are looking good as well. Foxy seems more vibrant than ever and super happy. Clowns look great and are lively. Miss my mimic but I’m glad these three are seemingly doing well.

trying to decide what salt mix I’m going to use and stick to. Lots of things to think about. Hoping to get the booster pump in the next few weeks. Didn’t realize how stressful having to source water is until now weirdly.

oh well

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
did you find whole house shut off ?

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you find whole house shut off ?

yeah but I can’t get it to turn. Also, the garage gets colder than I realized. Waiting to see how it is when we get below freezing, as I think I may need to figure out something for insulation or heat.

meantime I can just use a sink for now. Just that pesky psi.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear! I get all my water from lfs / Albertsons lol , I just use the water thing they have . It’s definitly a pain and that’s why I don’t water change haha

it’s actually top off that has me stressed. Distilled water around here where I usually get it has been out of stock more often than normal. So yeah. Lol

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what psi are you getting from sink ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.4%
Back