OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to get the proper life out of the bulbs, they should be run for 50 hours before dimming.

I do this using a cheap fixture off of amazon and then moving over to the dimming fixture.

I wil say, I do not even use dimming anymore for T5. I just have them come on and go off, as I never really found any benefit for the dimming, outside of being able to extend the viewing time.

oh I’m sure the dimming is purely aesthetic. But I likes it.

any issue with running the bulbs in the ati just set to turn on for the first 50 hrs?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh I’m sure the dimming is purely aesthetic. But I likes it.

any issue with running the bulbs in the ati just set to turn on for the first 50 hrs?
No issues that way. They just need to be run at 100% for 50 hours and then you can do the dimming.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
snow storm incoming. Don’t know if power will go out. Realizing planning for such things should be at the forefront of planning a build.

I’ve done so much reading about as many aspects of our hobby as possible that I’ve been called “obsessed” so I’m not freaking out.

that said. Next on the list of purchases is disaster gear.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today is a good day. Already out of work. Sitting in the waiting room for a follow up appointment regarding the paw

after this I will be:
Getting plywood cut for overflow.
starting the flex seal coat.
getting an inverter just in case

weekend after this is when the 120 will be leveled. Then it’s off to the races

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7B616E81-6123-4BF3-AA4A-EEAD6A756275.jpeg

inverter acquired

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your planned disaster gear includes battery powered air pumps, I would highly recommend going with the simple gray D cell powered one.

Living in California I have to have these all on standby for fire season. I have two different types of rechargeable battery options that cost $30 each. Neither are great and both last less time than D cell.

I'd recommend the grey simple ones at half the price, then buy a few packs of D cells to have with them.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your planned disaster gear includes battery powered air pumps, I would highly recommend going with the simple gray D cell powered one.

Living in California I have to have these all on standby for fire season. I have two different types of rechargeable battery options that cost $30 each. Neither are great and both last less time than D cell.

I'd recommend the grey simple ones at half the price, then buy a few packs of D cells to have with them.

good tip. As always, thanks my man!

For now I’ve got a little rechargeable pump that can also be run plugged in. Charges with usb so I should be good. I can also run my HOB with the inverter so I’m feeling less worried

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, looks like the wood will be cut tomorrow or Thursday.

Father unit doesn’t know where his saw is and needed to run errands before the weather hits. I also had to run errands and wanted to get home to let the pups enjoy the warm before things kick off.

regardless. I’m quite happy. And relieved I have something in case of emergency.

oh, and my company is closed Thursday. So I may not be heading back in yet this week lol. Depending on how icy things are tomorrow, I may call in.

oh well. More time to get things ready for that weekend.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sitting here waiting for the storm.

very interested to see how things play out. It’s still in the 50s now. Supposed to have 100% precipitation by 8 am and it’s supposed to be 32 right around the same time.

too bad I don’t still have my ice skates

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will be the sorta marine aquarist prone to making risky livestock choices.

I’m just so enthralled with all of the critters we keep. I mean, I could stare at my gsp flowing in the…well flow, for a silly amount of time. Same with the ruby mithrax, Pierre the cleaner. Heck, I get lost staring at my Hydno which has been growing but hasn’t had any PE weirdly.

then there’s watching the fish.

idk. I have ambitions to propagate coral. But at least for my display system(s), I’m enthralled by the slice of ecosystem that is a reef tank. Everything alive fascinates me. Even the undesirables. Not to say I want them.

idk. There’s a quote about learning from a philosopher/humanist and another from a zen master I’m thinking of. Don’t remember the exact words or who they’re credited to. Hilarious yeah. But anyway. The idea is the secret sauce to happiness is fostering a “child like wonder” to all things. And yeah. That’s me and reefing.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I’ve always found weird is the insistence of our hobby calling issues with GHA or other undesirables getting a solid foothold in our systems and proliferating a “battle”.

there’s some connotations to thinking of it that way. If you’re in a battle you’re in an all or nothing conflict. A “final solution” sort of deal. Which is nothing that belongs in an ecosystem.

seriously though. If I see people talking about “battling” with an issue for x amount of time, I find myself thinking something that boils down to “oh I better find the silver bullet for that”. And it just so happens there no such thing.

things take time. Idk. More ramblings from a philosophically trained coyote

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I’ve always found weird is the insistence of our hobby calling issues with GHA or other undesirables getting a solid foothold in our systems and proliferating a “battle”.

there’s some connotations to thinking of it that way. If you’re in a battle you’re in an all or nothing conflict. A “final solution” sort of deal. Which is nothing that belongs in an ecosystem.

seriously though. If I see people talking about “battling” with an issue for x amount of time, I find myself thinking something that boils down to “oh I better find the silver bullet for that”. And it just so happens there no such thing.

things take time. Idk. More ramblings from a philosophically trained coyote

At the end of the day, these are each Our individual ecosystems.

Dinos, cyano, pests are worth going to battle with if you intend for your slice of ocean to be without them.

Battle is strategy. Make a plan, execute plan, after action adjustment, go again.

It makes sense to me.

-Your classically trained ripped reefer.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end of the day, these are each Our individual ecosystems.

Dinos, cyano, pests are worth going to battle with if you intend for your slice of ocean to be without them.

Battle is strategy. Make a plan, execute plan, after action adjustment, go again.

It makes sense to me.

-Your classically trained ripped reefer.
Why must treating it like a martial engagement preclude having a strategic plan of addressing the situation?

*takes off Socrates Halloween mask*

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if I’m the only one in our group really into a song of ice and fire.

i know we’re a good bunch of bibliophiles and share some common literary interests.

just can’t remember if anyone else enjoys George R R Martin. (Fun fact, George loves Tolkien who was a big influence. He’s R R thanks to mr J R R Tolkien)

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if I’m the only one in our group really into a song of ice and fire.

i know we’re a good bunch of bibliophiles and share some common literary interests.

just can’t remember if anyone else enjoys George R R Martin. (Fun fact, George loves Tolkien who was a big influence. He’s R R thanks to mr J R R Tolkien)
game of thrones hbo GIF

Read all the books before it was the cool thing to do. Show kept track the first season or so then sped rapidly into a dumpster fire

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting for Winds of Winter... At this point Sanderson is going to have to finish it for us

I’ve recently discovered a dude on YouTube who delves into the lore, history, and symbolism. It’s kind of a deep into the rabbit hole sort of thing…

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 110 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back