BeltedCoyote’s reboot: the birth of the leviathan

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have a ton of pre seeded stuff as well as some ocean rock in the 120 system so I'm hoping the uglies will be reasonable lol
Those specific dry rocks will probably get some nasties on them but overall should last less time and be less over everything.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those specific dry rocks will probably get some nasties on them but overall should last less time and be less over everything.

Good enough for me. I was never expecting to be uglie free. Just more manageable and little quicker

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good enough for me. I was never expecting to be uglie free. Just more manageable and little quicker
Fun tank thing... Put a reminder in your phone every 2 weeks for the next few months and take a picture from the same angle to track it. Would be interesting to see the new rock go from new, to eeww, to yayy.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun tank thing... Put a reminder in your phone every 2 weeks for the next few months and take a picture from the same angle to track it. Would be interesting to see the new rock go from new, to eeww, to yayy.

Good idea. Should be fun with thr fancy new camera I have lol

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm thrilled to have my rodi running. Got it in the master bathtub running from the sink. It's working....but thanks to the low pressure up there before the booster, it's slow.

Already looking forward to getting it mounted here on the first floor. Thinking it should cut down on the time to at least a perceptible degree

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am more tempted than I should be to have a dwarf lion in my frag system. Lions are one of three dream fish I have on my list.

In other news. Might be getting a ball python in the next year or to. The waifu loves snakes as it happens.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am more tempted than I should be to have a dwarf lion in my frag system. Lions are one of three dream fish I have on my list.

In other news. Might be getting a ball python in the next year or to. The waifu loves snakes as it happens.
Why a ball over a boa?

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why a ball over a boa?

Boa is a bit big. Big enough some of them could eat Shelby. That and limited space. Also, the kiddo is high energy, sporadic, and impatient. I wouldn't trust her not to inadvertently provoke a defensive bite. Also cost of food for boa vs ball.

In reality I'd like another Mexican black king if it was only my say lol first snake I had and it was such a cool little dude until my apartments maintenance people managed to somehow unlock the lid.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boa is a bit big. Big enough some of them could eat Shelby.
Maybe in 20 years a BCI could get that big. I've had 25 year old male boas that were 5-6' total eating medium rats. Females get much larger.
That and limited space. Also, the kiddo is high energy, sporadic, and impatient. I wouldn't trust her not to inadvertently provoke a defensive bite.
From my snake breeding days, I've been bitten way more times defensively by balls, Than Boas. Probably 10:1
Also cost of food for boa vs ball.
Should be Negligible at best for at least 4 years.

As soon as Jeff Ronne finishes incorporating The monster tail hypo line, into surinam het albino, I will very quickly be on that list..

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe in 20 years a BCI could get that big. I've had 25 year old male boas that were 5-6' total eating medium rats. Females get much larger.

From my snake breeding days, I've been bitten way more times defensively by balls, Than Boas. Probably 10:1

Should be Negligible at best for at least 4 years.

As soon as Jeff Ronne finishes incorporating The monster tail hypo line, into surinam het albino, I will very quickly be on that list..

You intrigue me sir.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any way of measuring the appropriate amount of food to "ghost feed" a livestock free rock holding/seeding set up?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any way of measuring the appropriate amount of food to "ghost feed" a livestock free rock holding/seeding set up?
Yeah, test the water. If there's no dissolved nutrients you need some.

Very little is needed honestly. I never ghost fed the cooking tubs. Just dumped a bit of skimmate in every two weeks.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, test the water. If there's no dissolved nutrients you need some.

Very little is needed honestly. I never ghost fed the cooking tubs. Just dumped a bit of skimmate in every two weeks.

I don't have skimmate hence food. Although...I could just throw wager in from the 53...

Edit. Water.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update because I'm excited, home alone, and bored lol.

Found a good amount of rubble between the two boxes of rock I have. So said rubble is in the tote with the dry rock. Making up another 5g of rodi, then mixing salt, and adding the seeded.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mission Accomplished GIF

The rock is wet! And seeding the dry rock I had left over. Using a finnex heater and one of my maxspect jump returns.

Ended up making 25g of SW. Got it to exactly 1.025 first try.

As far as feeding the wee beasties, I dumped the contents from the bottom of what I brought the rocks home in. (Few little things in the water at the bottom....

And I got to thinking about more food for the microfauna. The Westcoast enabler mentioned skimmate. Well, I don't have a skimmer running yet, but I do have a HOB that desperately needs cleaning....

So I grabbed one of the media bags from said HOB and vigorously dunked and shook it in the rock tote.

I figure that oughta add some nutrients

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back