OP
OP
LadAShark

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the ocean? Of course it does every drop of ocean water has billions of microorganisms
No I'm talking about RO/DI water from tap. It doesn't have any realy amount of bacteria, yet people do well with it. I'm not sure if I want those "billions" of micro-organisms.

Btw I'm loving the prof pic[emoji23][emoji23][emoji108][emoji108][emoji1376][emoji1376][emoji1376]
Yeah ;P

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everywhere you go lad, everywhere is like 15 posts to quote to answer one question XD

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On note of boiling seawater. Since this isnt the basis for your bio filtration, adding ro would work i dont see any substantial problems. As for pollutants...well ive used plenty of atlantic ocean sea water in the past.

Just filtered well and it worked great. In a FOWLR tank.

Are you just trying to avoid a mixing station?

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I'm talking about RO/DI water from tap. It doesn't have any realy amount of bacteria, yet people do well with it. I'm not sure if I want those "billions" of micro-organisms.

Yeah ;P
Oh obviously it don't it has way to many chemicals for any micro crustaceans or bacteria to live plus any it does have are freshwater cuz tap is fresh
And in order to have a functioning system it all boils down to the billions on microorganisms that u barely see (that is one of my favorite parts of sw tanks is the tiny animals that u can just barely see) the tank is only stable when u have a stable chain of animals starting with this billions of microorganisms

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On note of boiling seawater. Since this isnt the basis for your bio filtration, adding ro would work i dont see any substantial problems. As for pollutants...well ive used plenty of atlantic ocean sea water in the past.

While he may be trying to avoid the mixing it also has the pros of being already established and the salinity is perfect so it's got lots of pros

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh obviously it don't it has way to many chemicals for any micro crustaceans or bacteria to live plus any it does have are freshwater cuz tap is fresh
And in order to have a functioning system it all boils down to the billions on microorganisms that u barely see (that is one of my favorite parts of sw tanks is the tiny animals that u can just barely see) the tank is only stable when u have a stable chain of animals starting with this billions of microorganisms
If you use salt and water, like most do their are no living organisms in it. Boiling the salt water kills nothing you would have in a mix. Lol your bio filtration and living organisms, or bacteria is on your live rock.

OP
OP
LadAShark

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, exactly!
I'm trying to setup a system with as little maintenance as necessary, that's also as natural as possible.

If you use salt and water, like most do their are no living organisms in it. Boiling the salt water kills nothing you would have in a mix. Lol your bio filtration and living organisms, or bacteria is on your live rock.
Exactly. Well, there are bacteria in the water, sure, but the ones you can find in ocean water won't necessarily be beneficial for the aquarium, and might even infect them with something.
While he may be trying to avoid the mixing it also has the pros of being already established and the salinity is perfect so it's got lots of pros
And I'm saying I can keep the dissolved substances, while trashing all the bacteria I don't want.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back