Berghia nudibranch breeding

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone tell me how long it takes for adult berghia nudibranch to lay eggs and for them eggs to hatch.
I'm asking because I have 160 gallon and added 6 berghia nudibranch for a very large aiptasia outbreak. I realise it's probably not enough for the size of tank so I'm wondering how long for their population to grow. There was a swirl of eggs in the tub they came in which I did put in the tank but not sure if that would have survived or if theyd have been swept by the current, how do they usually lay eggs do they attach to rocks or something when releasing them usually?

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you add them?

In my experience you do not see anything for at least a month and then you start seeing them, and aptasia disappearing at 1-2 months. There is definitely a lag where it leaves you wondering if it was a waste.

Adding them in the same area (and at breeding size, like .5 inch or bigger) is recommended for success so they breed.

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When did you add them?

In my experience you do not see anything for at least a month and then you start seeing them, and aptasia disappearing at 1-2 months. There is definitely a lag where it leaves you wondering if it was a waste.

Adding them in the same area (and at breeding size, like .5 inch or bigger) is recommended for success so they breed.
This mirrors my experience. I put the whole cup in the water and let them wander out on their own over the course of a few days. It was over a month and I was getting discouraged, until I looked with a flashlight in the middle of the night and there they were. Aptasia population is definitely decreasing as well.

For OP, in your larger tank, if you didn't buy that many to start, you may just find a longer lag time between when you added them and when you begin to notice diminishing aptasia.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They lay eggs constantly. The issue you may have depending on your tank is everything likes to eat them...not just fish but things like amphipods,etc.

In some tanks you may never have a good buildup of population because of this. In others enough survive to build the population but may be very slow growing

OP
OP
FishOkay

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This mirrors my experience. I put the whole cup in the water and let them wander out on their own over the course of a few days. It was over a month and I was getting discouraged, until I looked with a flashlight in the middle of the night and there they were. Aptasia population is definitely decreasing as well.

For OP, in your larger tank, if you didn't buy that many to start, you may just find a longer lag time between when you added them and when you begin to notice diminishing aptasia.
Yeah thats what I was thinking, I have used them in the past but at the time ended up buying like 11 to begin with and they cleared it within a couple months. I just didnt want to spend thst much on that many again!
To be fair it's only been a couple weeks since I added them
I'm hoping they breed and I start to notice a decrease because the aiptasia are just taking over and getting big.

OP
OP
FishOkay

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you add them?

I added them just over a couple weeks ago now, yeah thats where I'm at at the min wondering if it was a waste although I've used them before I think im just thinking I didn't add enough. I did just add the tub they came in to the tank and let them leave it themselves so hopefully they'll have found each other.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Could someone tell me how long it takes for adult berghia nudibranch to lay eggs and for them eggs to hatch.
I'm asking because I have 160 gallon and added 6 berghia nudibranch for a very large aiptasia outbreak. I realise it's probably not enough for the size of tank so I'm wondering how long for their population to grow. There was a swirl of eggs in the tub they came in which I did put in the tank but not sure if that would have survived or if theyd have been swept by the current, how do they usually lay eggs do they attach to rocks or something when releasing them usually?
Ive been breeding them on and off for close to 6 years now. Takes 10 to 14 days for eggs to hatch, about a month for them to reach a half inch or untill the clutch can reproduce. 3 months is usually the time where they start decimating the aiptasia population. It takes a while to get going, but the process of elimination happens pretty quickly.
20220930_161610.jpg
20220930_161422.jpg
20220801_153043.jpg

JulioG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you add them?

you're exactly right!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back