Berghia Nudibranch with Melanurus Wrasse? Expensive Snack?

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came back from five days away. Fish and corals look great. Noticed about a dozen small Aiptaisia spread out randomly thru out the tank. First time I've had to deal with this. I think Berghia Nudibranch will be my best option. If I get them in while the wrasse is sleeping will they have a chance?

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The melanarus hunts all day long. Chances of berghia surviving is small. You're better off trying peppermint shrimp if the wrasse is a juvenile. Still would need to add the shrimp at night.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see wrasses extermibationg other nudis in a tank. A friend had a bad aptasia infestation and added berghias, months later he took down the tank and we saw many berghias hidden in the rockwork, he did have multiple wrasses abd leopard wrasses in the tank.
Berghias are mostly nocturnal and they are said to have two antenna like structures in the front which they use to defend themselves against fish . I'd rather try them rather than peppermint or other fish solutions as those are not always reefsafe.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came back from five days away. Fish and corals look great. Noticed about a dozen small Aiptaisia spread out randomly thru out the tank. First time I've had to deal with this. I think Berghia Nudibranch will be my best option. If I get them in while the wrasse is sleeping will they have a chance?
Try a klieni butterfly! I tried one after some recs on here and he is great and doesnt pose an issue with my mel wrasse! And loves aptasia

OP
OP
1112-425XL

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added six Berghia Nudibranch on 8/23 after the lights went out and my Melanurus Wrasse was sleeping. Was able to float them down a piece of pvc while all pumps, powerheads and WaveMakers were off. Got them all on a rock within a couple inches of two or three aptaisia. They nestled into live rock crevices safe and sound. Within a couple days those aptaisia were completely gone and I can no longer find the nudibranch (they are extremely tiny). Today I noticed a few more missing aiptasia. These ones were much larger and no where near the 1st ones. One of them was partially covered by Zoas. GONE!
There's still a few more aptaisia spread around the tank but now I'm confident these little bugs will find and destroy and they're capable of avoiding predators.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back