Best alternative to quarantine?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never said an oxydator will keep itch at bay. I belive using one with all the other stuff I do I do helps in the fight against itch. What I will state and stand behind is if a fish is suffering with white spot then an Oxydator can be a great help. Think of it as putting an oxygen mask on the fish as the itch trys to kill it by asphyxiation. However, there are many diseases out there that don't attack the gills hence why my use of my oxydator is only one in a long line of things I do to limit/eliminate common diseases. In fact what I do works so well my fish don't get any of these disease common in some others tanks. I am no expert in diseases and nor do I ever wish to be so if I was it would probably point to having experienced them.
I am 100% sure I have introduced a number of these diseases and have seen itch on fish soon after introduction only for it to disappear within 36 hours with no other fish showing any signs of it.
You have a huge thread about using an oxidator to control ich. And I’m almost positive you have said it could be the reason for completely controlling ich. If you tell me I’m wrong I guess I’ll have to go searching for all your quotes in that thread. I’m not sure how me saying that is keeping ich at bay is out of line. Maybe you have not said those exact words, but give me a break.
[/QUOTE]
Am not the one making these suggestions you are. I don't believe I have ever said an oxydator is keeping itch at bay. However, if I have done so then I am mistaken and donknow why I would suggest such..
I believe what I have said an oxydator is an aid to fighting itch. Now, I would be grateful you would send me the link where you believe I have said such.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lionfish hunter.
From my thread on Oxydators
Quote "It's not a dosing for treatment it's a constant dose. Your not attacking the spots on the fish but hopefully the spores and assisting the fish to fight the disease through increased oxygen in the water aids the fishes respiratory system.
I have never used an Oxydator to cure white spot directly as it never becomes a problem in my tank. I have had fish with what I believe was white spot show it soon after introduction but it never took a hold in my tank and the existing fish never appeared to contract it." Unquote.

However, there is some anecdotal evidence to suggest an Oxydator maybe able to eliminate the likes of itch as reported by some others who have suggested the use of an oxydatotr cured their itch.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More and more, people are moving away from Cupramine to Copper Power or Coppersafe. Cupramine has that issue when it is used with reducing agents, creating toxic copper conditions. It is also dosed at lower levels, which makes testing it with the high range Hanna less accurate (a 0.2 difference with Cupramine is huge, while a .2 difference with coppersafe doesn't matter as much). Finally, people still see toxic reactions in some fish like pygmy angels and eels, not seen with coppersafe.

Jay

That was for my personal fish back in 15-17 timeframe. Eric Cohen would be in charge of quarantining for fish from the site. I'll try to get him to chime in on his methods :)

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best way is not to buy new fishes!

Actually this is a valid point. Regardless of what the display currently is stocked to the hobbyist has some form of what is an acceptable risk. Or should. Simple mistake could wipe out years of fish or a large sum of money to start over. Similar to introducing corals.

Display maturity plays a huge roll. So your comment isn't too far off.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SMH...wow just wow. Did you all scare off the OP?

To the OP there are many ways to achieve success and yes this is just a hobby run amuck! Hope you can navigate all the back and forth to arrive safely at the other shore!

My only practical advise is find a method that works for you and use it. Try to think of the fish first and study their needs as far as food, space, environment, water temperature, competition, community, and related. Provide what they need and they will most likely thrive. If possible find a local store and observe the fish first, have them hold it for you for a week or two, learn to recognize normal fish behavior. Take your time as nothing good happens in a hurry, breath, relax, be the fish....hahaha.

That is all go back to your lives citizens and have a great day.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the camp of people who tend to believe that serious disease outbreaks occur due to fish being stressed (which typically coincides with new fish additions). Multiiple tangs living together - is a dangerous thing for me.. Having said that I have a very peaceful tomini and a small convict tang myself.

Other than the convict tang addition fairly recently - my fish community remained unchaged for over 3 years.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I warned you guys. Thread bans will now be issued if you keep it up. This is not your thread to be arguing in, go about it another way.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a huge thread about using an oxidator to control ich. And I’m almost positive you have said it could be the reason for completely controlling ich. If you tell me I’m wrong I guess I’ll have to go searching for all your quotes in that thread. I’m not sure how me saying that is keeping ich at bay is out of line. Maybe you have not said those exact words, but give me a break.
Am not the one making these suggestions you are. I don't believe I have ever said an oxydator is keeping itch at bay. However, if I have done so then I am mistaken and donknow why I would suggest such..
I believe what I have said an oxydator is an aid to fighting itch. Now, I would be grateful you would send me the link where you believe I have said such.
[/QUOTE]

Here is the link you asked for. I will try to be friendly in order to play nice.

you - “So many people aren't aware that the use of an Oxydator is a great aid in not only warding off parasites like white spot but also reduce the the chances of your fish catching these types of parasites and helps fight the disease already in the tank”

Sounds a lot like you are saying it keeps ich at bay. We should let the people who read this decide for themselves.

Attachments

• 0DD8875C-BF36-442C-9D5F-B5BD36BA2DEE.png
    0DD8875C-BF36-442C-9D5F-B5BD36BA2DEE.png
    643.6 KB · Views: 17

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back