Best anemone to keep?

Fin-up reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I have been in this hobby for around 6-7 years now but have only ever owned bubble tip anemones. I started a 120G reef - I run Ecotech Radion XR30 G4 pros on it. Was curious as to what other anemones I could put in the reef tank? I was thinking Sebae but haven’t heard much about them. Thoughts?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depends on a number of factors, and what you are looking to "get out" of it. Also depends on tank mates/corals you are keeping planning on keeping.

Without more info, it's hard to say. . . but you could keep BTA, LTA, RFA, carpet nem, mini carpet nem, tube nem, sabae, hatian. . . and more. . .

Are you looking for a nem to host clowns? Looking for a show piece? are you concerned about it moving and stinging corals? etc

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock flower anemones are good reef choices. If you've got small fish, especially, most of the other types will have an easier time eating your livestock. I don't think your lighting will be of any problem.

While any anemone can, and most healthy fish (and inverts) can stay out, if you scare something enough for it to dart back into an open anemone, it can absolutely be eaten, and BTAs and rock flowers seem to be some of the least sticky options for something to keep. I think for rock flowers, it's just that most of the oral disk isn't sticky, it's only the ring of tentacles, so if something runs into it, it's unlikely to stick to a lot of it.

In particular, don't underestimate carpet anemones. I saw a mini carpet anemone that ate a fire cleaner shrimp after it was chased around by another shrimp, though it is very unlikely it would have been eaten if it wasn't trying to escape something else.

OP
OP
Fin-up reefing

Fin-up reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on a number of factors, and what you are looking to "get out" of it. Also depends on tank mates/corals you are keeping planning on keeping.

Without more info, it's hard to say. . . but you could keep BTA, LTA, RFA, carpet nem, mini carpet nem, tube nem, sabae, hatian. . . and more. . .

Are you looking for a nem to host clowns? Looking for a show piece? are you concerned about it moving and stinging corals? etc
I’d like something for the clowns to host but also that doesn’t move much? I have a huge open sand bed

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are looking for something to host clowns condy, Hattian, tube, RFA, and mini carpet are out (at least according to the general internet consensus. . . ).

I'm not an expert, but I would think a BTA is your best bet. If you are looking for something more unique, you could look for one of the less common color morphs. They will move around, but I think that will be an issue with most of the host type nems. . .

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I have been in this hobby for around 6-7 years now but have only ever owned bubble tip anemones. I started a 120G reef - I run Ecotech Radion XR30 G4 pros on it. Was curious as to what other anemones I could put in the reef tank? I was thinking Sebae but haven’t heard much about them. Thoughts?
Rock Flower Anemones are easy to keep and once you place them they rarely move from that spot. They only move if you have bad swings. If you get 5 they reproduce quick and mine just had babies. They are hard to sex though and very colorful.

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LTA's are the only anemone I will keep. I've had almost every anemone you can buy for a reef tank and it's the only one I will keep anymore. The rest are either splitters or killers.

And you DO NOT need a DSB. You just need a safe spot. They like rocks as much as sand.

reefah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a sebae. They are neat. I have clown pair hosting it. I also have RBTA and rock flower nems. Even aptasia lol…… *jokes

YouTube vid of my sebae

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For oscellaris clowns their natural hosts are magnificas, s.gigantea, and mertens. If you are willing to cipro treat if needed, mags can be gorgeous and clowns LOVE them. They do need a lot of light and a relatively flat smooth rock surface to plant their foot. If not provided, they usually end up climbing the glass. Giganteas are also beautiful, they also prefer being on a rock. Sebae can be a good choice if your clowns aren’t picky and will stick to the sand.

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock flower anemones are not big as well so if you want a wide range of colors they are great I got 5 in my nano. I love the yellows and reds

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA gets my vote. Can usually be found locally from a split so captive bred. The rose nems are pretty common and can be found for $20-30. They don't move too much and are easier to keep than most others. But depends on the clown species you have or want since they each have specific nems they prefer.
IMG_0495.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back