Best calcium reactor?

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the SRO 5000 for years before the hurricane took it out.

I hear a lot of good things about Geos but the Octos have the Varios Pump. My tank is 400g display and 150g sump/fuge.

Also, what feed pumps do you suggest? I thought about building an outlet on my manifold but I feel it would be better if it ran independently.

I'm hoping to find a good deal on Black Friday

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the Vertex. Build quality is second to none and it’s very easy to get dialed in. The Sicce pump is quiet available almost anywhere should it ever need replaced. I really like the modular design and efficient use of co2. I run reborn in the main chamber, arm’s smallest media in the secondary and remag in the third. The modular separation of media’s makes refills a breeze. The flow gauge is nice but tends to get air bubbles trapped in it so I have to tap it lightly to clear the bubbles and get an accurate reading but that may be 1-3x a year at most to adjust for coral growth/trimming. The flow valve is very nice as well, best I’ve ever used on any calcium reactor. And if the last two years are any indication it will be on sale for $400 on Black Friday.

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the Vertex. Build quality is second to none and it’s very easy to get dialed in. The Sicce pump is quiet available almost anywhere should it ever need replaced. I really like the modular design and efficient use of co2. I run reborn in the main chamber, arm’s smallest media in the secondary and remag in the third. The modular separation of media’s makes refills a breeze. The flow gauge is nice but tends to get air bubbles trapped in it so I have to tap it lightly to clear the bubbles and get an accurate reading but that may be 1-3x a year at most to adjust for coral growth/trimming. The flow valve is very nice as well, best I’ve ever used on any calcium reactor. And if the last two years are any indication it will be on sale for $400 on Black Friday.
Thank you! I hadn't considered vertex and will definitely look into that. I've seen a few of their skimmers and was really impressed by the build quality.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I hadn't considered vertex and will definitely look into that. I've seen a few of their skimmers and was really impressed by the build quality.

The only thing that I would caution you on, is that the Vertex only comes in one size. It will be a quite undersized for yor 400g DT and 150g sump where you’d have to replace media more often.

I went with a GEO for its rock solid construction, simple yet effective design and top notch customer service.

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that I would caution you on, is that the Vertex only comes in one size. It will be a quite undersized for yor 400g DT and 150g sump where you’d have to replace media more often.

I went with a GEO for its rock solid construction, simple yet effective design and top notch customer service.

What are you using as a feed pump? I've been reading a lot of people use the masterflex pumps and run them backwards to help with gas build up since the Geo doesn't have a gas line.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking for build quality and longevity, hard to beat the MTC ProCal. Been running mine since 1998 LOL ...... now THAT's reliability. OK, I have modified it quite a bit but the essentials remain. I'd personally buy nothing else. Any continuous duty peri pump will suffice. I found a basic/cheap masterflex that's run reliably (though not necessarily quietly .... but its in a basement sump room).

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to go with a Geo and use the recommended Sicce feed pump. I've seen a few setups where they're doing more of a constant flow of effluent at a higher ph to avoid clogging.

I still have the SRO 5000 reactor body with no pump (hurricane) and may be able to buy new gaskets and a retrofit Varios pump.

Joao junior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to go with a Geo and use the recommended Sicce feed pump. I've seen a few setups where they're doing more of a constant flow of effluent at a higher ph to avoid clogging.

I still have the SRO 5000 reactor body with no pump (hurricane) and may be able to buy new gaskets and a retrofit Varios pump.
Wich sicce p

in my opinion DASTACO is better calcium reactor,wich sicce pump you are talking??

10Seconds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you still have the SRO 5000, just get the Varios pump for it a you should be fine. Thats a nice piece and you will be out less money too.

If you werent unhappy with it before, I would go with what you have.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For it's price range, I like my Geo. Simple design and it works.
My 120g reef (sps and lps and a clam) is still young but currently running it with an effluent ph of about 6.95. Media is Reborn.
Seems pretty efficient to me.

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my opinion DASTACO is better calcium reactor,wich sicce pump you are talking??[/QUOTE]

If you have the cash, dastaco is the way to go. Comes plug and play, and build quality is solid. I have seen unique's and a few out in the wild. I would get it if I could afford one.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Get the GEO. You will not be disappointed. Had mine for many years. Some where around 10 or so years. Still have the original eheim motor on it. Still ticking. No maintenance no issue's. Only thing I changed on mine was put the needle valve on the effluent like the new ones. Get yourself a good regulator to go with it. I use the Aquatic life one. REally like it.

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my opinion DASTACO is better calcium reactor,wich sicce pump you are talking??

If you have the cash, dastaco is the way to go. Comes plug and play, and build quality is solid. I have seen unique's and a few out in the wild. I would get it if I could afford one.[/QUOTE]
That's just such a huge investment. When you price out these other models they end up coming in a half or less the price. You also need a converter for Euro plugs and I believe 200 instead of our 120. That's one more thing to break or cord manage IMO.

The Reef Oct did serve me really well. I can't fault it for shorting. Everything I had took a major hit and even briefly burned. I only read good things about the Varios pumps and plan on replacing the three temporary ones I have set up with a Varios 8 on Black Friday.

On a side note I would suggest anyone who has money in their tank to get it insured. I have home insurance and had my home halfway distroyed. It's been months and they haven't helped or done anything. My daughter and I are even dislocated. Hopefully something changes. I never imagined they would be this bad.

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look into the dastaco, there is stuff you are missing.

I've seen that response a lot, for my size system it would easily be over $2,000 and need a converter. That's twice the price of a Geo or Octo. Are they that much better?

Joao junior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem in all reactors is the flow, if you control the flow and ph into the reactor,game over

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back