OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300DD with a 75 gallon sump and run the Vertex with a Sicce pump. Been running over a year - very stable and reliable.

I haven't seen many people with the Varios pumps on their CRx. I think at this point it's preference. I looked into upgrading the pump on my old Octo and they won't convert. You have to get a whole new reactor. I think being able to change the flow rate on a DC pump goes a long way.

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing the flow rate inside the reactor doesn’t help really imo. The flow rate you want to control is through the reactor, so an extra $100 for a dc pump to recirculate water in the reactor is kind of pointless imo. I️ would rather use a reactor with a known reliable brand of pump. Sicce, eheim even a mag series pump, at least with those you’ve got a pretty good idea that when the pump dies you’ll still be able to get a direct replacement.

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing the flow rate inside the reactor doesn’t help really imo. The flow rate you want to control is through the reactor, so an extra $100 for a dc pump to recirculate water in the reactor is kind of pointless imo. I️ would rather use a reactor with a known reliable brand of pump. Sicce, eheim even a mag series pump, at least with those you’ve got a pretty good idea that when the pump dies you’ll still be able to get a direct replacement.

Do you think the power consumption is a worthy factor? What reactor do you use?

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a Dastaco for a 180G water volume. The set comes complete and you do not need any extras.
Got it set up in no time, dialed it in to the correct KH and have it running without having to check it constantly.
KH is stable.
PH in the tank is around 8.2.
It comes with a light sensor to lower the supply during the night to avoid PH swings.
I would recommend the investment.

Plus, Dastaco is working on a KH monitor that will control the reactor and keep alkalinity even more stable.

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a Dastaco for a 180G water volume. The set comes complete and you do not need any extras.
Got it set up in no time, dialed it in to the correct KH and have it running without having to check it constantly.
KH is stable.
PH in the tank is around 8.2.
It comes with a light sensor to lower the supply during the night to avoid PH swings.
I would recommend the investment.

Plus, Dastaco is working on a KH monitor that will control the reactor and keep alkalinity even more stable.

That's 2,000 dollars before tax is involved

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MTC Pro cal, been very happy with it and it was my 4th CaRX I tried. Does everyone who recommended the Dastaco have one?
I love your reef. How are you doing it with no water changes? Do you have a video that shows your setup/equipment? Despite a huge fuge, a monster skimmer, and tons of surface area media, I have to use vodka to keep my nutrients down.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your reef. How are you doing it with no water changes? Do you have a video that shows your setup/equipment? Despite a huge fuge, a monster skimmer, and tons of surface area media, I have to use vodka to keep my nutrients down.
Thanks Roggio! Still treating me well with the no water changes but I'm having the typical stabilizing process in the first year with the new tank at the new house.

I unfortunately don't have any videos of my equipment. I don't have one of those sexy sumps. It's just a used 75 gallon tank with baffles I added and my equipment thrown in there. There really isn't much to see honestly.

Which nutrients are you battling? Nitrates? Phosphates?

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own out of a large Avast Marine Media Reactor. That's all a calcium reactor is, with a special piping tree to get your C02 and feed water into it. I'm only a 90g with 30g sump, but I only have to refill with media every 6 months. If you've got a bigger reactor already without a pump, simply buy the pump; that's what makes it work. I run a Sicce 1.5 recirculation pump, and feed pump with dual stage regulator and Burke solenoid valve. My favorite part is the Dwyer Mini Manometer to show me the ml/min effluent rate. 613344[/ATTACH]
IMG_2424.JPG
IMG_2424.JPG
IMG_2220.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Roggio! Still treating me well with the no water changes but I'm having the typical stabilizing process in the first year with the new tank at the new house.

I unfortunately don't have any videos of my equipment. I don't have one of those sexy sumps. It's just a used 75 gallon tank with baffles I added and my equipment thrown in there. There really isn't much to see honestly.

Which nutrients are you battling? Nitrates? Phosphates?

Always nitrates. Ammonia and phosphates stay undetectable. The vodka gets rid of the nitrates but I still have to test to keep them around 5. It's easy to overdose the vodka. I have no idea how a lot of these people cant keep nitrates and need to dose. I have a ton of surface media and a kessil 380 over my fuge. I do have several large tangs and two large Zebra Morays.

@billwill That's awesome!

Is anyone running an airstone to keep the PH up from their drip?

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always nitrates. Ammonia and phosphates stay undetectable. The vodka gets rid of the nitrates but I still have to test to keep them around 5. It's easy to overdose the vodka. I have no idea how a lot of these people cant keep nitrates and need to dose. I have a ton of surface media and a kessil 380 over my fuge. I do have several large tangs and two large Zebra Morays.

@billwill That's awesome!

Is anyone running an airstone to keep the PH up from their drip?

Yeah, sounds about right with the larger tangs and zebra morays. They just eat a lot and are messy poopers.

Just stick with the carbon dosing and keep it around the 5-10ppm mark for nitrates. I use biopellets because I got tired of daily vodka dosing.

I don't use an airstone. The TMC Pro cal has a secondary reaction chamber that helps increase pH coming out of the reactor.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MTC Pro cal, been very happy with it and it was my 4th CaRX I tried. Does everyone who recommended the Dastaco have one?

MTC ProCal was my first (in 1998) and last - since it shows no signs of wearing out (well, other than the accessories that can easily be replaced). Probably my all time best equipment purchase. This is the age of the internet expert - no need to actually own or have experience with the stuff you recommend LOL. How prosaic.

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been very happy with the Skimz on my system. Total volume around 280-300 gallons and mostly SPS. Oh, and it's fed with a Maxi-jet.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe he meant the feed pump? I'm in favor of a steady flow, higher PH in the chaimber, no drip. It's easier on the pump and prevents clogging IMO.
Same here, but no idea what he's talking about with controlling the flow is game over.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this will be my first calcium reactor for my new SCA 150 BUILD. I have narrowed it down to a couple of manufactures and here they are! Please let me know your thoughts or opinions if you happen to currently run one of these reactors below?

1/ Vertex RX-C 6D
2. GeoReef - 612 OR 618
3. Skimz Monzter CM122
4 Reef Octopus - Varios CR-200

TANK INFO:
SCA Rimless 150 Mixed Reef

frank c.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this will be my first calcium reactor for my new SCA 150 BUILD. I have narrowed it down to a couple of manufactures and here they are! Please let me know your thoughts or opinions if you happen to currently run one of these reactors below?

1/ Vertex RX-C 6D
2. GeoReef - 612 OR 618
3. Skimz Monzter CM122
4 Reef Octopus - Varios CR-200

TANK INFO:
SCA Rimless 150 Mixed Reef
I have been two parting for many years and would like to go to a reactor, Think it is quite beneficial I have allot of SPS. What did you finally go with??

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been two parting for many years and would like to go to a reactor, Think it is quite beneficial I have allot of SPS. What did you finally go with??

After coming back from RAP in Orlando last week and having a nice talk with the @geo Reef guys and they recommend the 612 for my SCA 150. I haven't bought it yet but I will along with the electronic carbon doser set up.
First, I am getting real close on starting my Rimless SCA 150 build! Just waiting on my Hydra HD 52 and my Clearwater Scrubber and some fittings I will be ready to start post pictures and how it all got installed, Everything will be hard plumbed Sch80 fittings and all Cepex and Spears gate vales and ball valves. No short cuts on this build mate, since I plan on keeping it a very very long time. I got my GHL Maxi dosing pump up and running for my automatic water changes and a day to set up my ProfiLux4 controller..

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 6.47.35 AM.png

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back