Best camera for coral pictures?

SaltWater Innovations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning fellow Reefers,
I was wondering what camera do people recommend for taking awesome pictures of their corals and fish. Right now I'm using my cell phone for pictures and it is not doing the job. If anyone can reccomend a nice camera that will not break the bank that would be great.
Thanks in advance.

budau18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what you’d consider not breaking the bank to be. But ultimately for the best of quality you’d need a dslr with a macro lens. That being said for great quality pictures you don’t need the top dslr. Then your paying for wifi and a swivel screen which isn’t totally necessary. Check used for a Nikon or canon dslr is what I would do

OP
OP
SaltWater Innovations

SaltWater Innovations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, I have seen a lot of people also using those yellow gel filters in front of their cameras to help balance out the picture so the blue lights don't take over the picture quality.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, I have seen a lot of people also using those yellow gel filters in front of their cameras to help balance out the picture so the blue lights don't take over the picture quality.
That helps. You can also set the WB on your dslr to get closer.
Best thing is to turn down/off your blue lights if possible.

david_ma

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
I used to use Nikon d3200 with a 90mm macro lens. Worked great. You’d still have to play around with it to get the perfect pic and you’d need a stabilizer.

budau18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The app is just called aquarium camera. I mean compared to a dslr and a good lens it’s nothing. But compared to just your standard camera it helps a good bit

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obscura for iOS lets you shoot in a multitude of formats and settings for white balance and aperture too. Basically seems to be a “dslr” app. But I’m looking a camera recommendation too.....

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can check out my new blog. I reposted an article there that talks about choosing a camera. :)
www.waterandlens.com

Back