Best combat against green hair algae?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tuxedo urchin is a beast!! I actually bought a second one it was so awesome.
It has been a week and a half since I put in two Urchins. All hair algae GONE. It actually brought my rocks to almost white and pretty again. They have been bulldozers and i have to keep picking up frags..but the tank looks great again.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
No experience with sea hares so I can’t comment.
Sea hares are great but will eventually starve once food source is gone.
Pull as much as you can by hand and then inject via syringe or pipette some hydrogen peroxide. Add some snails such as Turbo grazer, astrea, cerith, nerite and nassarius as well as a few carribean blue leg hermits.. A pin cushion urchin will also help.
Emerald crabs also is good but I do not trust them. Reduce white light intensity for about a week.
Is tank at or near a window?

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a week and a half since I put in two Urchins. All hair algae GONE. It actually brought my rocks to almost white and pretty again. They have been bulldozers and i have to keep picking up frags..but the tank looks great again.
What kind of urchins do you have?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to pick one up, if they accidentally run over coral frags can they kill it?
I am sure it is possible. I had it walk right over a new zoa plug and cleaned out the algae between polyps but left the polyps. It is just a known fact that newly placed frags will be dislodged when it decides to go that way. I would be more worried about not picking up the knocked over frags rather than them being eaten by the urchin. I am sure others online would be able to provide some additional anecdotal evidence..but never heard of them being a coral killer by trade.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure it is possible. I had it walk right over a new zoa plug and cleaned out the algae between polyps but left the polyps. It is just a known fact that newly placed frags will be dislodged when it decides to go that way. I would be more worried about not picking up the knocked over frags rather than them being eaten by the urchin. I am sure others online would be able to provide some additional anecdotal evidence..but never heard of them being a coral killer by trade.
I shall buy one for my 30 cause recently I’ve been getting a lot of hair algae and my hermits or snails don’t do much

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 month old 25 gallon AIO tank. It is constantly struggling with green hair algae. I usually hold my nitrates between 2 - 8 and my phosphates between 0.05 - 0.15. I have a small refugium with chaeto and an Aquagadget refugium LED. I feed phyto and pods daily. I feed TDO and reef roids several times a week. My cleaning crew is made of astreas, nerites, nassarius, dwarf cerith, florida cerith, peppermint shrimp, and a pincushion urchin. I have 4 fish right now. My AI Nero 3 is set to ~1,500 GPH.

Also, here is my lighting schedule and spectrum settings for my AI prime.
B6E40701-B5DE-4DB3-BC47-FC11F914955E.png

Does anyone have any suggestions for mechanical filtration, herbivore fish, or clean up crew members that are effective against green hair algae?
Urchins

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally harmless. They will keep you coraline scraped off but it grows back.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back