OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my filefish did not solve my aiptasia problem and is now living happily in my 15 column frag tank eating majano anemones, might go the CBB route. I have a very well-established tank and anticipate it should be more than fine for a CBB. But apparently, CBBs are hard to keep?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at my tank a few days ago and realized most of my aiptasia are now gone. I went from having hundreds to only a few left in the tank. It took my copperband some time but he finally started eating them.
CBB never fail to eat aiptasia in my tank.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oof, never ended up getting one, maybe its time for me to change that...
The problem is getting them to eat other foods. I’ve had mine for around 6 months and it will eat frozen food a little bit, but I am still having to regularly feed the tank live worms to make sure he eats enough.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The problem is getting them to eat other foods. I’ve had mine for around 6 months and it will eat frozen food a little bit, but I am still having to regularly feed the tank live worms to make sure he eats enough.
Feed him what is similar to aptasia- Live blackworms then wean to other foods such as LRS herbivore diet

Osteoclast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other options include the Klein’s butterfly and the Roaps group of butterflies. I have a Klein’s currently which is in my 100 gallon frag tank. I also have a Burgess in QT and to be released in to my main display in a few weeks. I previously had a beautiful Tinkers in my last 500 gallon tank that kept the aiptasia at bay.

These butterflies are SPS reef safe for the “most part” and were definitely for me. They also did well with LPS such as hammers, duncan, frog spawns, and bubble corals. I had no issue either with clams.

Now zoas and soft corals might be altogether different. I do not keep those and do not have experience. In general these species will occasionally mouth the SPS but I never saw nipping or coral damage. There is less polyp extension at times for certain Acros.

I had the Tinkers for 8 years in my last tank. Loved that fish and it was very hardy but at a huge price. Unfortunately not available much due to the Hawaiian restrictions. The Klein’s though are readily available and reasonably priced.

The Burgess, Mitratus and some of the hybrid ones are available but expensive in general. Very hardy though in contrast to copperband. I have had bad luck with the copperbands and that is when I began evaluating other fish in particular the Roaps group.

The other non-predator option though is the laser which I am considering for vermatid snail control but that’s another topic.

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone had experience with copperbands and clams together? starting to see aiptasia pop up all over and have not had a good experience with filefish.

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Since my filefish did not solve my aiptasia problem and is now living happily in my 15 column frag tank eating majano anemones, might go the CBB route. I have a very well-established tank and anticipate it should be more than fine for a CBB. But apparently, CBBs are hard to keep?
lol @ I am starting to notice some little aptasia sprouting from under a couple of the corals I got from you. Did you end up finding a good RS solution to eliminate them or should I just try to nuke them with F-Aptasia?

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Try Peppermint shrimp.

Buy two sets from two lfs to increase chances of them eating the Aiptesia....

It worked 100% for me. 2 Peppermint shrimp cleaned my 8 ft tank. And been keeping it clean for 6 months...

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try Peppermint shrimp.

Buy two sets from two lfs to increase chances of them eating the Aiptesia....

It worked 100% for me. 2 Peppermint shrimp cleaned my 8 ft tank. And been keeping it clean for 6 months...
i agree, decided to try one about a month ago and i now only see a couple aiptasia in my 50 gallon tank, opposed to the 30+ i previously could see, with only 1 shrimp.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two BIOTA Filefish in my 365G in under two weeks to out somewhere between 500-1000 Aptasia. I never thought it possible but once that got going it was like eating Doritos chips for them. Now they just wander the tank constantly on patrol looking for any new sorouts. They look kinda sad now, like their favorite candy was taken from them

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Two BIOTA Filefish in my 365G in under two weeks to out somewhere between 500-1000 Aptasia. I never thought it possible but once that got going it was like eating Doritos chips for them. Now they just wander the tank constantly on patrol looking for any new sorouts. They look kinda sad now, like their favorite candy was taken from them

Mind sharing any tank pictures and what specific breed do you have?

Do these filefish eat anything else? How do you plan to sustain them healthy with no/ low Aiptesia in tank?

Do they eat/ nibble any corals/ inverts?

What other fishes do you have - just curious, as the file fishes are very peceful and docile ..

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind sharing any tank pictures and what specific breed do you have?

Do these filefish eat anything else? How do you plan to sustain them healthy with no/ low Aiptesia in tank?

Do they eat/ nibble any corals/ inverts?

What other fishes do you have - just curious, as the file fishes are very peceful and docile ..
Here is a short video of one of my two filefish.
I have cardinal fish, hawkfish, clown, 3 wrasse, yellow tang, gem tank, salfin tang and naso blonde tang.

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Beautiful fish and tank!

Do you have anybother Anemones? Does the file fish bother them?

Also, does the Filefish eat anything else? Wonder what it will eat after Aiptesia depletes...?

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish and tank!

Do you have anybother Anemones? Does the file fish bother them?

Also, does the Filefish eat anything else? Wonder what it will eat after Aiptesia depletes...?
Yea, I was worried about it starving after eating all the aiptasia but they have gotten use to the food I feed the other fish. With that said, they definitely look sad without their constant source of aiptasia.
I don’t have anemones so I can’t comment on that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back