Best Dwarf/Pygmy Angelfish?

jcbasile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to add a smaller angelfish to my mixed 45gallon reef tank. I have considered cherubs, flame angelfish and coral beautys but have all heard they may nip at corals which I want to avoid. I know that is hit or miss depending on the fish but I have two questions.

1. Which of the smaller angelfish are the best in your opinion (personality, aggression, etc.)?
2. What is the best way to minimize coral aggression or nipping?

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get as many different answers to question 1 as there are dwarf angelfish- each person will have their favorite.

The best way to avoid coral predation is either only stock with 'nasty' tasting corals- Duncans, Euphllias, tough softies, etc. Or avoid dwarf angels.

OP
OP
jcbasile

jcbasile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well put in the first half haha, I agree. I guess I just wanted to hear some experiences with different ones. That is mostly how my tank is setup, but it does have a zoa garden and some mushrooms which is what I worry about.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarf angels add a lot of color and movement. Flames in small systems tend to get nasty. Personal experiences.

45g I would look at pygmy or coral beauty. My coral beauty never touched a coral. I had a buddy who had to remove his because it ate his coral.

Never had personal experience with pygmy

My cb was in a 75 and now have one in a 55 fowlr.
FA was in 55 and had to remove nasty little bugger.

OP
OP
jcbasile

jcbasile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarf angels add a lot of color and movement. Flames in small systems tend to get nasty. Personal experiences.

45g I would look at pygmy or coral beauty. My coral beauty never touched a coral. I had a buddy who had to remove his because it ate his coral.

Never had personal experience with pygmy

My cb was in a 75 and now have one in a 55 fowlr.
FA was in 55 and had to remove nasty little bugger.
So far I was either going to go pygmy or coral beauty. I like flame angels but heard the same thing from a lot of other people

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you do, don't get a lemonpeel. Their bright yellow and blue is an awesome splash of colour, but they are huge, incredible jerks. I had one and it bullied everything, even a moray eel 15x it's size. Watched it numerous times kick my Tomini off nori so it could eat.

+1 coral beauty.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Least aggressive and most likely not to touch a coral is the Cherub.
They can have some aggression though to some fish but I have never had one touch a coral. I have 3 right now and have had dozens in the past.
I have had most of the others and they all have nipped corals here and there and some worse than others.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jcbasile

jcbasile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Least aggressive and most likely not to touch a coral is the Cherub.
They can have aggression though to some fish but I have never had one touch a coral. I have 3 right now and have had dozens in the past.
I have had most of the others and they all have nipped corals here and there and some worse than others.
Hmm I only have a pretty docile clownfish, a bangai cardinalfish, goby/shrimp pair and wanted to add a royal gramma eventually but I think the Cherub are beautiful fish

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmm I only have a pretty docile clownfish, a bangai cardinalfish, goby/shrimp pair and wanted to add a royal gramma eventually but I think the Cherub are beautiful fish

As far as aggression all Dwarf angels can have them and some more than others. I find the Flames, coral beauty etc far more aggressive than a cherub. I would put the Cherub towards the bottom for a dwarf angel. Each individual is different too..

The smaller the tank the more chances of it too..

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as aggression all Dwarf angels can have them and some more than others. I find the Flames, coral beauty etc far more aggressive than a cherub. I would put the Cherub towards the bottom for a dwarf angel. Each individual is different too..

The smaller the tank the more chances of it too..
Fully agree size of tank plays a big part

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've got 3 dwarfs in my system. A Flame, Coral Beauty and Potter's. They've all been solid and haven't bothered any corals, though I don't keep any meaty LPS or clams. The Potter's will pick algae around my SPS frags, but the Acro's remain fully extended and healthy.

Aside from initial pecking order squabbles, they've managed to settle into a natural heirarchy in the system as well. The Potter's has taken to my Copperband butterfly (they were added at the same time) and all angels pretty much ignore the rest of the fish in the community.

For your tank size, I'd definitely go with one of the smaller Centropyges. Argi's seem to have the best personality and are quite confident once they get settled in!

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure if this is in your considerations, but a starcki damsel has the temperament and size of a dwarf angel, looks like the afrcian flame back, and doesnt eat corals. Might be a good alternative if youre interested.
20201024_171830.jpg

Thats my one

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45 is a small tank. I keep a flame in a 125 and have no issues other then the constant regulation on all the other fish.

OP
OP
jcbasile

jcbasile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure if this is in your considerations, but a starcki damsel has the temperament and size of a dwarf angel, looks like the afrcian flame back, and doesnt eat corals. Might be a good alternative if youre interested.
20201024_171830.jpg

Thats my one
That was not in my considerations but that is a gorgeous fish and I will look into it! Does it have less of a bad wrap compared to other damsels?

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was not in my considerations but that is a gorgeous fish and I will look into it! Does it have less of a bad wrap compared to other damsels?
Yea, its in the genus chrysiptera which is a pretty peaceful genus in the damsel family, its never caused any issues for me, he can be kinda agressive to new additions, but has never killed anything, and it normally dies down after a day or 2. And he leaves everything else alone, so pretty peaceful, in my experience

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep Flame, Coral Beauty, Cherub, Fireball (Brazilian Flameback), and African Flameback before. All are OK. I do think that feeding them heavy does prevent/eliminate coral picking. I never have enough problem with mine picking coral and required removal from the tank.
45 gal, especially the cube type tank is a little too small for all but the smallest of Dwarf Angels.
I would recommend either Cherub, Fireball or Flameback. Other pygmy angels does not look as nice as these three species.
My African Flameback harem, currently three in a 65 gal tank.
I have a thread on them here, including video of the tank.

Male:
flameback2020102801male-jpg.1853790

Female:
flameback2020102808female-jpg.1853791

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 61 30.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 73 36.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.0%
Back