Best Dwarf/Pygmy Angelfish?

Humanzee1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Least aggressive and most likely not to touch a coral is the Cherub.
They can have some aggression though to some fish but I have never had one touch a coral. I have 3 right now and have had dozens in the past.
I have had most of the others and they all have nipped corals here and there and some worse than others.
You've kept them with a wide variety of corals I take it?

Humanzee1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep Flame, Coral Beauty, Cherub, Fireball (Brazilian Flameback), and African Flameback before. All are OK. I do think that feeding them heavy does prevent/eliminate coral picking. I never have enough problem with mine picking coral and required removal from the tank.
45 gal, especially the cube type tank is a little too small for all but the smallest of Dwarf Angels.
I would recommend either Cherub, Fireball or Flameback. Other pygmy angels does not look as nice as these three species.
My African Flameback harem, currently three in a 65 gal tank.
I have a thread on them here, including video of the tank.

Male:
flameback2020102801male-jpg.1853790

Female:
flameback2020102808female-jpg.1853791
I love your harem tank and have watched your videos. Are the males larger than the females normally?

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to add a smaller angelfish to my mixed 45gallon reef tank. I have considered cherubs, flame angelfish and coral beautys but have all heard they may nip at corals which I want to avoid. I know that is hit or miss depending on the fish but I have two questions.

1. Which of the smaller angelfish are the best in your opinion (personality, aggression, etc.)?
2. What is the best way to minimize coral aggression or nipping?
i like the potters angel (likely my fav).. and the golden angel... I never had issues with coral (but YMMV)

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a beautiful cherub angel and the only coral he bites is sarcophyton. It's a shame because it's a beautiful sarcophyton.

For a year he never touched a coral. Now he bites the sarco any time there is ANY polyp extension.

Beautiful fish but not reef safe. I have had others that never took a bite. It's always a gamble.

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well put in the first half haha, I agree. I guess I just wanted to hear some experiences with different ones. That is mostly how my tank is setup, but it does have a zoa garden and some mushrooms which is what I worry about.
i found the smallest coral beauty i could and added it to my reef tanks, im 3/0 at them being reef safe.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I understand it, Coral Beauty tends to do well in reef tanks, can irritate some soft corals but generally forages for food on offer, not hard to feed or finicky, you've done a good job getting a small fish, work with it in qt and I don't think you'll have problems.
i found the smallest coral beauty i could and added it to my reef tanks, im 3/0 at them being reef safe.

matskibanov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure if this is in your considerations, but a starcki damsel has the temperament and size of a dwarf angel, looks like the afrcian flame back, and doesnt eat corals. Might be a good alternative if youre interested.
20201024_171830.jpg

Thats my one
I see that you also have multi-barred angelfish. Any tips on successfully keeping them? I'm aware that they are finicky eaters but I have my eyes set on them and I'm willing to join the battle of keeping them in my system

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back