Best/easiest way to cut a PVC fitting in a tight space

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is set up with a closed loop through a "dry box" that has just enough room for two bulkheads through the wall leading to two holes in the bottom. Bulkheads are 1.5" and 1" and both have elbows at the end going through the bulkhead in the wall and everything is glued. This box feeds my chiller which flows all the time though chiller compressor is only on in the summer.

Anyway, I have always hated how this works as the return from the chiller is low in the tank and flow is too strong in the immediate area. Return is only an inch or two higher than the sand. Tank is 18 years old and I want to replumb the return to actually come up to the top of the tank and through a Sea Swirl. I think if I can cut the fitting right at the elbow I can replace the bottom bulkhead to accomplish this and just put a plug in the bulkhead through the wall. But I'm not sure how best to actually cut that fitting given the tight quarters. Photos below if they help - it's the one on the far right in the pictures. Suggestions?

Overflow Wet & Dry006.JPG Overflow002.JPG

OP
OP
MickeyCT

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a pair of PVC cutters but don't have enough strength in my hands to cut a fitting in this tight space. Even PVC pipe is hard, though it may be that my tool is old and duller after all these years than a new one would be.

Would a cable saw work? They look like its just a wire but not sure.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially a wire saw that is long enough will work, it'll make a mess but it'll work. The other issue will be getting it "grooved" as it starts so it doesn't move around.

Oh and good luck getting it looped under it! Best thing to do is get a coat hanger to fish the loop through.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back