Best filter roller?

jtichenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both the ClariSea and RedSea units are great at what they are designed to do. However, you must realize that they were designed to use very different types of filter paper.

The ClariSea uses 50 micron paper. The Red Sea uses 200 micron paper.

A lot of complaints ClariSea have been about paper consumption - this is likely due to the filter being placed too low in the sump. A 50 micron paper needs more pressure to force water through it than a 200 micron paper. If the ClariSea is placed too low it will cause the water level sensor to trigger the paper advancement very frequently. A 50 micron paper will also polish the water better than a 200 micron paper. You also can't expect to pass a ton of water through a 50 micron filter. If your filter is mounted high and you are still consuming a roll a month, back off on the amount of water being sent to the filter.

I use the ClariSea 5000 and love it. However, I have it installed very high in my sump. I consume a roll about every 90 days with 95% of my 150 gal tank overflow going through the filter.

The 200 micron Red Sea can be placed lower in the sump (but the unit is overall much larger than the Clarisea) without excessive paper consumption. If you place the RedSea very high in the sump, it may take a very long time for the paper to advance and therefore cause breakdown of waste to occur in your sump before it has a chance to get taken out onto the paper roll.

You should always check your consumption rate. Place a mark on the paper and monitor how long it takes for that mark to pass through the filter. If it takes longer than 2 days, you need to raise your filter and/or increase the amount of water being passed through it.

20221227_113437.jpg

jtichenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it takes longer than 2 days, you need to raise your filter and/or increase the amount of water being passed through it.
*Correction*
If it takes longer than 2 days, you need to lower your filter and/or increase the amount of water being passed through it in order to increase your paper consumption.

scottbapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both the ClariSea and RedSea units are great at what they are designed to do. However, you must realize that they were designed to use very different types of filter paper.

A lot of complaints ClariSea have been about paper consumption - this is likely due to the filter being placed too low in the sump. A 50 micron paper needs more pressure to force water through it than a 200 micron paper. If the ClariSea is placed too low it will cause the water level sensor to trigger the paper advancement very frequently. A 50 micron paper will also polish the water better than a 200 micron paper. You also can't expect to pass a ton of water through a 50 micron filter. If your filter is mounted high and you are still consuming a roll a month, back off on the amount of water being sent to the filter.

I use the ClariSea 5000 and love it. However, I have it installed very high in my sump. I consume a roll about every 90 days with 95% of my 150 gal tank overflow going through the filter.

The 200 micron Red Sea can be placed lower in the sump (but the unit is overall much larger than the Clarisea) without excessive paper consumption. If you place the RedSea very high in the sump, it may take a very long time for the paper to advance and therefore cause breakdown of waste to occur in your sump before it has a chance to get taken out onto the paper roll.

You should always check your consumption rate. Place a mark on the paper and monitor how long it takes for that mark to pass through the filter. If it takes longer than 2 days, you need to raise your filter and/or increase the amount of water being passed through it.

20221227_113437.jpg
Awesome Advise, Thank you

scottbapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a SK5000, I love it. It is possible to get the water "too clean". I'm thankful that it has a bypass valve on the bottom so that I can regulate it a little bit.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20221227_113437.jpg
I have the reefmat 1200 and I hate it, it uses between 2 and 3 meter filter roll a day! I have to change it every two week ! It is a horror, customer service also ,I speak with them since tree month, they say it is not normal, make me do many tests but still do nothing for me!

scottbapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the reefmat 1200 and I hate it, it uses between 2 and 3 meter filter roll a day! I have to change it every two week ! It is a horror, customer service also ,I speak with them since tree month, they say it is not normal, make me do many tests but still do nothing fo

scottbapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20221227_113437.jpg
I love the purple and gray PVC, Looks great!

Smoke-Town

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another point for the reefmat, I’ve had the 1200 and it’s working perfectly. Some say the app is useless but it’s useful to be able to see exactly how much of the roll you have used and how much is remaining. The app will also alert you when you need to change the roll, if there are any jams or issues, and even has “quick action” buttons for feed mode, maintenance, and emergencies. Overall the best thing I’ve ever bought for my tank.

I haven't seen the app.. is there a way to program it to automatically roll the submerged section at the end of every day?

robertifly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a reef mat 500 on my tank and I like it very much I have no experience with any other brands but I really like this one. If it should quit today I can stick a sock on and order replacement parts or a new one. I'm only on my second roll but really don't miss changing/cleaning socks.

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently, like 2 weeks ago installed and ReefSmat 500 on my Waterbox 180.5. Best decision ever! The unit pulls a lot of waste.
It works flawlessly ! Highly recommended

73CAA286-A0D7-4917-ADEA-EEA91BA1CCFA.jpeg
I have the same tank. May I ask how you mounted it and what changes you had to do to the sump?

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed my red sea reef mat 1200 which made me crazy because he used over 2-3 meter a day for a reef factory and now I used only 40 cm and he is so silent, the red sea was so loud!
The reef mat is bullsh..for a big tank and the red sea support is terrible,I'm pretty sure the red sea can't handle the water flow they describe,over 2000l/h he is crazy,I spoke with other people which had the same problem all on big tanks. Red sea customer service made me make test during month and say it is not normal but refuse all time to take it back or exchange it, when after a few months of doing all time the same test and told them stop now and give me a solution they just told my tank is too big or too dirty! This was the last red sea product I bought.

OP
OP
K

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed my red sea reef mat 1200 which made me crazy because he used over 2-3 meter a day for a reef factory and now I used only 40 cm and he is so silent, the red sea was so loud!
The reef mat is bullsh..for a big tank and the red sea support is terrible,I'm pretty sure the red sea can't handle the water flow they describe,over 2000l/h he is crazy,I spoke with other people which had the same problem all on big tanks. Red sea customer service made me make test during month and say it is not normal but refuse all time to take it back or exchange it, when after a few months of doing all time the same test and told them stop now and give me a solution they just told my tank is too big or too dirty! This was the last red sea product I bought.
Is that the one with the protein skimmer built in?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

if i had the money, this is what i would buy.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back