Best first coral

SaltwaterTanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting my reef/ coral tank and I was wondering what would be the best coral to put in the tank first. Thanks.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon green Kenya tree, because it doesn't drop babies everywhere and it looks good under white lights and even better under actinics.

GSP *ON A ROCK ON THE SAND OR ON THE BACK GLASS*. beautiful under whites or blues. Shouldn't 'shed' the way xenia does.
But it will ooze in every direction, especially towards the light.
You can rip it apart or slice it with a razor blade. Just make sure you don't leave any tiny pieces floating around.
Covering a new infection of it where you don't want it with reef putty works pretty good.
Make sure you get it early.

Another location is up high on the rocks. It grows towards the light. So it is less likely to spread downward. Unfortunately these locations are better reserved for better corals.
[emoji4]

Palys, on a separate island.
NOT, NOT, NOT !!! at the base of your main rock work !!!
They multiply quickly, grow up towards the light.
** They have serious toxins that put people in the hospital when trying to scrub or boil them from the rock !!! **
This is the classic scenario where people end up in the hospital.

We have had multiple types of Palys in our tank for years and I love them. Awesome corals.
Respecting their danger and growth patterns is of the utmost importance!

Mushrooms, again, on a separate island. If it's on your main rock work make sure it's a bounce mushroom.
[emoji6]
Get mushrooms that look good under both blues and whites.
[emoji4]
They can drift to where they are more happy. Or just anywhere the current takes them....

Lol, please avoid the *non* metallic blue or purple discosoma mushrooms. They spread like wild fire and are just not pretty enough to give up half a tanks worth of real estate to.

If you keep these animals the way I suggest you will be very happy with them and they will be easy to remove if you choose to upgrade to more expensive corals later.
[emoji4]
Happy reefing!

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Neon green Kenya tree, because it doesn't drop babies everywhere and it looks good under white lights and even better under actinics.

GSP *ON A ROCK ON THE SAND OR ON THE BACK GLASS*. beautiful under whites or blues. Shouldn't 'shed' the way xenia does.
But it will ooze in every direction, especially towards the light.
You can rip it apart or slice it with a razor blade. Just make sure you don't leave any tiny pieces floating around.
Covering a new infection of it where you don't want it with reef putty works pretty good.
Make sure you get it early.

Another location is up high on the rocks. It grows towards the light. So it is less likely to spread downward. Unfortunately these locations are better reserved for better corals.
[emoji4]

Palys, on a separate island.
NOT, NOT, NOT !!! at the base of your main rock work !!!
They multiply quickly, grow up towards the light.
** They have serious toxins that put people in the hospital when trying to scrub or boil them from the rock !!! **
This is the classic scenario where people end up in the hospital.

We have had multiple types of Palys in our tank for years and I love them. Awesome corals.
Respecting their danger and growth patterns is of the utmost importance!

Mushrooms, again, on a separate island. If it's on your main rock work make sure it's a bounce mushroom.
[emoji6]
Get mushrooms that look good under both blues and whites.
[emoji4]
They can drift to where they are more happy. Or just anywhere the current takes them....

Lol, please avoid the *non* metallic blue or purple discosoma mushrooms. They spread like wild fire and are just not pretty enough to give up half a tanks worth of real estate to.

If you keep these animals the way I suggest you will be very happy with them and they will be easy to remove if you choose to upgrade to more expensive corals later.
[emoji4]
Happy reefing!
Are Palys and zoos the same thing?

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sort of... There is a lot of debate about what makes a polyp a paly or zoa, and while there are some minor differences, care requirements are basically the same so it's nothing to worry about.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are 1st cousins for lack of a better term.

Palys are normally larger. Up to 1.5".
Palys are generally indestructable.
Palys contain paly toxin. *One of the most deadly poisons in existence.*
This is the reason you don't want to place them at the base of your main rock work.
Scrubbing them off as they overgrow and overtake your better corals above them is what sends most people to the hospital.
We have had multiple varieties of palys for years without a problem.
Don't frag them or remove them from the water without eye protection.
They are pretty and easy to care for and I plan on having them for years.
Just respect them.

Zoas are generally smaller.
Zoas come in more colors and more color combinations.
Some zoas are more fragile but some are as indestructible as palys.
Eagle eye, etc.
Zoas get eaten by certain fish before palys.
(Our flame angel fish never bothered the palys. They taste horrible because of the paly toxin.)

1st pic is Zoas. none of them are in our tank unfortunately.

2nd pic is our Grandis palys. One of my favorites.
3rd pic is a blue and green pally in our tank. Can't remember the variety name.
4th pic is a paly you should avoid. Yellowish center with green outside. These seem to have a very strong amount of paly toxin.
No problems in our tank, but when a guy at the LFS had to remove a 6" rock covered in them to catch a fish, his hand broke out in a rash.

Also maybe avoid the really awesome bright green paly with rays coming out from the center and really long tentacles (not pictured). It grows aggressively fast.
23a169b626fc7a68ac0146d673057df4.jpg
616781fc2ed071db3871bbb595a368da.jpg
ad1cfb430e1e6c30b2ac002f6673305d.jpg
8e831400df92fbfd0dafce84ffaa224c.jpg

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely research whatever you decide to go with before buying. Very common "beginner" mistake is picking a coral based on looks VS survivability in your tank (age, lighting, space and stability).

Another one is buying what would be considered an easy coral only to have it become your biggest headache in a short period of time because it has taken over your tank.

Put a lot of thought into placement as well. Those frags are nice and small now but they will grow. Look at it like a garden landscape and prepare for growth with appropriate spacing. Think it's enough space? Double it, lol!

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are 1st cousins for lack of a better term.

Palys are normally larger. Up to 1.5".
Palys are generally indestructable.
Palys contain paly toxin. *One of the most deadly poisons in existence.*
This is the reason you don't want to place them at the base of your main rock work.
Scrubbing them off as they overgrow and overtake your better corals above them is what sends most people to the hospital.
We have had multiple varieties of palys for years without a problem.
Don't frag them or remove them from the water without eye protection.
They are pretty and easy to care for and I plan on having them for years.
Just respect them.

Zoas are generally smaller.
Zoas come in more colors and more color combinations.
Some zoas are more fragile but some are as indestructible as palys.
Eagle eye, etc.
Zoas get eaten by certain fish before palys.
(Our flame angel fish never bothered the palys. They taste horrible because of the paly toxin.)

1st pic is Zoas. none of them are in our tank unfortunately.

2nd pic is our Grandis palys. One of my favorites.
3rd pic is a blue and green pally in our tank. Can't remember the variety name.
4th pic is a paly you should avoid. Yellowish center with green outside. These seem to have a very strong amount of paly toxin.
No problems in our tank, but when a guy at the LFS had to remove a 6" rock covered in them to catch a fish, his hand broke out in a rash.

Also maybe avoid the really awesome bright green paly with rays coming out from the center and really long tentacles (not pictured). It grows aggressively fast.
23a169b626fc7a68ac0146d673057df4.jpg
616781fc2ed071db3871bbb595a368da.jpg
ad1cfb430e1e6c30b2ac002f6673305d.jpg
8e831400df92fbfd0dafce84ffaa224c.jpg
Wow, very helpful thank you!
So are Zoos less toxic than Palys?

Daniel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just quickly scrolled through the suggestions and for most of them I agree.

I will stay far far away from GSP. Once it takes off, it is so hard to control. While it looks neat, it can quickly become a hassle.

In my opinion, Duncan’s, Blastos and/or Euphyllias is the way to go! Forgiving corals and if they are happy they can explode in growth, some more than others ofc but it is a huge confidence boost cause it means you are doing something right.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back