Best fish for 35g cube tanks?

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to get a 20 by 20 by 20 cube tank with a sump. What fish are good for this tank? Angelfishes are a dream but I want to hear suggestions first

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coral beauty in my IM40, which is just a little bigger than what you plan to have. It seems to be comfortable in this for now, but I have two larger tanks with light fish loads if it grows and/or becomes stressed by the space. I have an arch aquascape, and that seems to give it plenty of live rock on which to graze and some good hiding spaces. It's currently sharing the tank with a filefish, flametail blenny, royal gramma, and a pygmy geometric "hawkfish" (perchlet). There's no aggression between them as they all have different tank habitats.

I'd actually recommend the IM40. While it's not my favourite AIO in the world -- the "sump" is weird -- is got a good mix of basic features and IM's random flow generators are a great (and cheap) add-on for the system. I bought mine used for $350 CAD.

I'm wouldn't recommend any other angels for a volume this small on a permanent basis. All of my other dwarfs have far more active swimming patterns and enjoy swimming the full length of their respective tanks. Perhaps a small captive-bred lemonpeel could work, but I've heard that even cherubs require 55g+.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coral beauty in my IM40, which is just a little bigger than what you plan to have. It seems to be comfortable in this for now, but I have two larger tanks with light fish loads if it grows and/or becomes stressed by the space. I have an arch aquascape, and that seems to give it plenty of live rock on which to graze and some good hiding spaces. It's currently sharing the tank with a filefish, flametail blenny, royal gramma, and a pygmy geometric "hawkfish" (perchlet). There's no aggression between them as they all have different tank habitats.

I'd actually recommend the IM40. While it's not my favourite AIO in the world -- the "sump" is weird -- is got a good mix of basic features and IM's random flow generators are a great (and cheap) add-on for the system. I bought mine used for $350 CAD.

I'm wouldn't recommend any other angels for a volume this small on a permanent basis. All of my other dwarfs have far more active swimming patterns and enjoy swimming the full length of their respective tanks. Perhaps a small captive-bred lemonpeel could work, but I've heard that even cherubs require 55g+.
If I get an angel its only going to be temporary. What is the most reef safe angel?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back