Best fuge layout?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Wolf89
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 4, 2018
Messages
1,853
Reaction score
2,687
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which would work better?
A bare bottom fuge on a stand with light on bottom and top for chaeto, or a fuge with a thick sand bed with lots of rubble and chaeto on top with a light on top?
Also, what is a good, cheap way to light a fuge? (45 gal on 90 gallon DT)
 
Cheap clamp on lights work fine for lighting a refugium - probably the cheapest route. The use of rock and sand vs barebottom is up to the individual. If it's just for nutrient export and tumbling chaeto I'd use barebottom. If you're trying to have a well establish pod population etc you might want to go with rubble and sand.
 
I'm starting up my 1st fugue and reading those posts gave me help thank you still reading as much as I can so it takes off good I have a 90gal going for 2years now and loving it don't want to make a mess out of it now
 
I wouldn't light it from below. It will most likely just make algae grow on the bottom and block the light anyways. You'd have to be scrape it off every week most likely.
 
personally, light on the bottom looks more beautiful lol
recommend light on top which saves more money.
2-3 PAR38 refugium lights with clamps on top, $100 budget
 
I wouldn't light it from below. It will most likely just make algae grow on the bottom and block the light anyways. You'd have to be scrape it off every week most likely.

There are Fuge lights available that can be placed inside the water and light from below that way. Eliminating the need to scrape the bottom:):):)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new