Best Hardy/Beginner Fish?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! I'm reading mixed things about Nassarius about some of them being toxic/hunting other fish and other places saying neither of those things?

Also, how do you know if there's not enough food and how to supplement?

So conches for algae and Nassarius to help with other stuff such as left over food/detritus etc.?
Correct on the last question. I have never heard that about about nassarius snails but there could be different types. The ones sold for the reef hobby are reef safe. Enough food is provided by having your tank at least 3-4 months old. Fish poop is detritus and all food isn’t eaten. If your tank is particularly clean and free of algae, you can supplement your conch with nori or sinking algae waifers.

catturio19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait which part for captive bred Clowns? More aggressive or that they get bigger than normal (or both)? If that they get bigger, how big to captive bred get and why are they bigger? Or if aggressive, why are they more aggressive? haha

Those cardinalfish are gorgeous, man! The Banggai specifically or any cardinals? Noticing some places don't have the Banggai but those are honestly so nice I'd want one haha I read they're best kept as a single or a mated pair?

I'll definitely aim for captive bred as much as I can to be honest, sounds ideal!

Besides clowns are there any specific Damsels to add with them or should you only have one kind of Damsel?

Still trying to find accurate info on Gobbies, any suggestions for a specific kind?

Was thinking of adding a Skunk Cleaner Shirmp, maybe some snails (back of my tank has a 1-2 inch opening for hang on back equipment though so not sure about the snails).

Thanks for the suggestions!
Sorry I didn’t mean it like that the captive bred clowns in my experience are the most hardy. Some damsels grow to be big and mean such as the domino damsel which is cute when small.
I can only speak to my experience and I’ve only had Banggais they seem pretty bullet proof. I am not sure on other cardinals. I have kept 2 in a 30 gallon before. They are very peaceful and just float in one spot in the water column.

Most gobies are good and pretty easy. My personal favorite are Yasha gobies and you can get them captive bred now. The yasha goby with a randals pistol shrimp are an awesome color combo.

My skunk cleaners pretty great and hardy as well. It’s also cool how the swim up to your hand to clean your skin when in the water.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're probably not going to see any cleaning activity between a shrimp and the size fish you'll be keeping....my full grown fire shrimp approached my gramma and pretty much scared the crap out of it...

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, blue-green reef chromis, yellow tail damsels are good picks for tanks that get about as small as fish will allow. Be careful with damsels, as they tend to get aggressive. Always research fish compatibility, as it becomes a restriction sometimes.

Trochus snails, hermit crabs are good hands off options, as well as nassarius snails and I've heard nerite snails too.

Best temp is around 78F give or take 1, usually don't wanna go over 82. Optimal coral temperatures vary by tank, but once you reach a favorable reading you don't wanna stray from it. Depending on the coral, they can be very finicky about those parameters.
Appreciate the response! I'll have to look into those fish, they good with Clowns I assume?

I was eyeballing the Trochus snails, and just heard of the Nassarius today from someone else's response and they sound pretty great too! Also probably gonna get one of those Skunk Shrimp as they sound awesome haha Just not sure what to go with for algae eating, maybe the Trochus? But have a gap in the back of my tank and don't want anything climbing out haha

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the response! I'll have to look into those fish, they good with Clowns I assume?

I was eyeballing the Trochus snails, and just heard of the Nassarius today from someone else's response and they sound pretty great too! Also probably gonna get one of those Skunk Shrimp as they sound awesome haha Just not sure what to go with for algae eating, maybe the Trochus? But have a gap in the back of my tank and don't want anything climbing out haha
Would definitely go for trochus in terms of algae eating. Am a bit iffy on skunk cleaners; haven't had experience with them but was told they don't clean as much as you'd expect. Some would even go as far as to say they're ornamental if you don't have trademark animals like eels in there with them.

As for the gap in the back, I'm sure you can create a makeshift cover for that, assuming it won't affect the tank's beauty. It's best a 100% coverage lid is applied to prevent fish from jumping (trust me, they all can and will).

Clowns and damsels will likely fight during the first few days they're together, but have been reported to be peaceful if territory is established (depending on the size of your tank). Personally, I wouldn't risk it. As pretty as they are, there are prettier fish.

Clowns and chromis I have personally had experience with. I've had them get along no issues. Try to get a group of chromis as they usually thrive best when in pairs or trios. Clowns tend to be peaceful overall, especially ocellaris and percula. Don't be alarmed if they chase any new fish from the get-go, though. They can still have territorial tendencies.

Best of luck.

Edit: missed the part where you said it was a 55 gal; I would go with the chromis for sure; yellowtail damsels especially need more swimming room if to be placed with other fish and will most likely get aggressive. Consider azure damsels to be placed *after* clowns, so they're not as bold with territory, if you absolutely want a damsel.
TL;DR- chromis over damsel

Last edited:
OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct on the last question. I have never heard that about about nassarius snails but there could be different types. The ones sold for the reef hobby are reef safe. Enough food is provided by having your tank at least 3-4 months old. Fish poop is detritus and all food isn’t eaten. If your tank is particularly clean and free of algae, you can supplement your conch with nori or sinking algae waifers.
Ah so should I be waiting 3-4 months before adding the snails then?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah so should I be waiting 3-4 months before adding the snails then?
No, as soon as you see enough food to sustain them (algae, detritus etc). 3-4 months was in my head for a true sand sifting gobie which we weren’t even discussing, I don’t know why I wrote that discussing snails.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only kept three marine fish so far, though these have generally been model citizens and easy to care for:
- Blue reef chromis (Chromis cyanea)
- Blue green chromis (Chromis viridis)
- Tailspot blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura)

They will all take flake and pellet foods. The Chromis also enjoy frozen food while the blenny will consume film algae. Notes that Chromis are susceptible to the disease Uronema and I would quarantine all marine fish I take in.

Conchs and brittle/serpent stars (not true starfish) are also fun to watch and relatively straightforward to care for. Conchs should consume algae and brittle/serpent stars can scavenge/consume meatier foods. Avoid the green brittle star (Ophiarachna incrassata) which may consume sleeping fish.
you're probably not going to see any cleaning activity between a shrimp and the size fish you'll be keeping....my full grown fire shrimp approached my gramma and pretty much scared the crap out of it...
Maybe this just depends on the individual fish, but my Atlantic blue reef chromis, which is about 2 inches long, will occasionally visit my Pacific skunk cleaner shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis) for some dental work. Oddly, my Pacific fish have never sought out the shrimp.
Interesting! I'm reading mixed things about Nassarius about some of them being toxic/hunting other fish and other places saying neither of those things?
Sounds like you are referring to the cone snail (Conidae), which are rare in the hobby and are known to kill other invertebrates, fish, and even humans. Nassarius snails should be fine as they eat decaying matter and food remains.
...and maybe Blood Red Fire Shrimp if they're also a good choice (unless there's others? again don't know a lot about this category).
I regret purchasing a blood red fire shrimp (Lysmata debelius) because it is by far the least active and interesting of my tank's livestock; it only emerges in the dead of night, when there is no light, and avoids interacting with all of its tankmates. My skunk cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp (Lysmata boggessi) are, personally, much more fun to watch and will even clean my hands. Again, behavior might vary between individuals and Lysmata boggessi is sometimes known to eat coral.
I'm calling out the most underrated...the Freshwater Molly.

1. Doesn't need to be quarantined as the pathogens from fresh to saltwater don't transfer.
2. Does a heck of a job eating all sorts of nuisance algae.
3. Tons of colors and shapes.
4. Very friendly fish.
5. Super cheap
6. Pretty hardy and good for starting up your tank
+1
Guppies (Poecilia reticulata) and some other freshwater/brackish livebearers can be acclimated to saltwater, though, unlike many marine fish, they may struggle to fight the strong currents found in reef setups.
I've never had any problems with squirrelfish.
D
How large did your squirrelfish get?
That said, quick google search says gobies are notoriously hard to keep?
I think some sand sifting gobies (Valenciennea) can starve in captivity, but true watchman (Cryptocentrus) and neon (Elacatinus) gobies seem pretty easy to care for, to name a few. Elacatinus macrodon has even been reported to survive as a hitchhiker in live rock. Perhaps you were looking at dragonets or scooter blennies.
...and Bumble Bee snails feed on left over food or?
I have heard reports that bumblebee snails (Engina sp.) may consume pest and beneficial microinvertebrates, so I would be cautious with these.

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only kept three marine fish so far, though these have generally been model citizens and easy to care for:
- Blue reef chromis (Chromis cyanea)
- Blue green chromis (Chromis viridis)
- Tailspot blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura)

They will all take flake and pellet foods. The Chromis also enjoy frozen food while the blenny will consume film algae. Notes that Chromis are susceptible to the disease Uronema and I would quarantine all marine fish I take in.

Conchs and brittle/serpent stars (not true starfish) are also fun to watch and relatively straightforward to care for. Conchs should consume algae and brittle/serpent stars can scavenge/consume meatier foods. Avoid the green brittle star (Ophiarachna incrassata) which may consume sleeping fish.

Maybe this just depends on the individual fish, but my Atlantic blue reef chromis, which is about 2 inches long, will occasionally visit my Pacific skunk cleaner shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis) for some dental work. Oddly, my Pacific fish have never sought out the shrimp.

Sounds like you are referring to the cone snail (Conidae), which are rare in the hobby and are known to kill other invertebrates, fish, and even humans. Nassarius snails should be fine as they eat decaying matter and food remains.

I regret purchasing a blood red fire shrimp (Lysmata debelius) because it is by far the least active and interesting of my tank's livestock; it only emerges in the dead of night, when there is no light, and avoids interacting with all of its tankmates. My skunk cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp (Lysmata boggessi) are, personally, much more fun to watch and will even clean my hands. Again, behavior might vary between individuals and Lysmata boggessi is sometimes known to eat coral.

+1
Guppies (Poecilia reticulata) and some other freshwater/brackish livebearers can be acclimated to saltwater, though, unlike many marine fish, they may struggle to fight the strong currents found in reef setups.

How large did your squirrelfish get?

I think some sand sifting gobies (Valenciennea) can starve in captivity, but true watchman (Cryptocentrus) and neon (Elacatinus) gobies seem pretty easy to care for, to name a few. Elacatinus macrodon has even been reported to survive as a hitchhiker in live rock. Perhaps you were looking at dragonets or scooter blennies.

I have heard reports that bumblebee snails (Engina sp.) may consume pest and beneficial microinvertebrates, so I would be cautious with these.
Appreciate this response!

I think for a shrimp I'll go with the Skunk, they sound awesome!

Definitely starting with 2 Clowns but beyond that is what I'm trying to figure out what to add haha

As for snails, so the Nassarius snails are NOT part of the cone family and are NOT toxic? Are any of these snails I'm considering toxic at all to humans? (Nassarius, conch, asterus, trochus, cerith)?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for snails, so the Nassarius snails are NOT part of the cone family and are NOT toxic? Are any of these snails I'm considering toxic at all to humans? (Nassarius, conch, asterus, trochus, cerith)?
Wikipedia says that cone snails belong to the family Conidae while Nassarius snails belong to Nassariidae. You should not have to worry about the snails you listed being toxic, though make sure that the Nassarius you are being sold aren't actually Ilyanassa snails, which contain parasites that can give you a nasty rash (though these snails are rare these days).

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Largest squirrelfish I've had wheat toast was 7 or 8" and was a shadowfin squirrel. Got him cuz he was the odd all of the "hawiian" squirrels available commonly probably 5-7yrs ago.
They r just the round blackeye pink and orange ones.
Really like the candystripe samuri squirrels too.
D

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had bad exp of them eating inverts or chasing small fish not that they won't eat small fish if not fed. Lol.
I've kept mine with damsels. Chromis. Blennys and gobies. Tangs. They like overhangs and cliffs and dark places as they r nocturnal by nature but adapt to reef lighting well imo.
D

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate this response!

I think for a shrimp I'll go with the Skunk, they sound awesome!

Definitely starting with 2 Clowns but beyond that is what I'm trying to figure out what to add haha

No, great cuc.

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wikipedia says that cone snails belong to the family Conidae while Nassarius snails belong to Nassariidae. You should not have to worry about the snails you listed being toxic, though make sure that the Nassarius you are being sold aren't actually Ilyanassa snails, which contain parasites that can give you a nasty rash (though these snails are rare these days).
Thanks! How can I be 100% sure they ARE Nassarius?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! How can I be 100% sure they ARE Nassarius?
Ilyanassa obsoleta (the one that gets mixed up), has this black, stubby shell:
1660696480391.png

Nassarius shells vary, but are generally more elongated:

Ivory colored Nassarius distortus:
1660696696473.png 1660696654593.png

Mottled Nassarius margaritifer:
1660696762902.png

Rare Nassarius velatus (I have a single black one):
1660696961708.png

Tiny Phrontis vibex (once Nassarius vibex):
1660697143279.png

Brown Nassarius limnaeiformis:
1660697295201.png

Also avoid the Babylon snail (Babylonia sp.), sometimes sold as "Nassarius," consumes microfauna and sessile inverts:
1660697393060.png

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ilyanassa obsoleta (the one that gets mixed up), has this black, stubby shell:
1660696480391.png

Nassarius shells vary, but are generally more elongated:

Ivory colored Nassarius distortus:
1660696696473.png 1660696654593.png

Mottled Nassarius margaritifer:
1660696762902.png

Rare Nassarius velatus (I have a single black one):
1660696961708.png

Tiny Phrontis vibex (once Nassarius vibex):
1660697143279.png

Brown Nassarius limnaeiformis:
1660697295201.png

Also avoid the Babylon snail (Babylonia sp.), sometimes sold as "Nassarius," consumes microfauna and sessile inverts:
1660697393060.png
Oh perfect and super thorough, thanks so much!

So either of these are good eh?
1. https://candycorals.ca/products/nassarius-snail?_pos=1&_sid=5949ae4ea&_ss=r
2. https://candycorals.ca/products/marble-nassarius-snail?_pos=2&_sid=5949ae4ea&_ss=r

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem!
Both look fine/harmless. 1. looks like Nassarius distortus/Nassarius coronatus. 2. looks like Nassarius margaritifer.
Is there much of a difference between those subspecies (if that's the right word)?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there much of a difference between those subspecies (if that's the right word)?
Both are species in the genus Nassarius (ex. the leopard (Panthera pardus) is in the genus Panthera alongside other cats like the lion (Panthera leo), individuals of the same species can mate with one another but the species concept becomes complicated when things like hybridization and asexual reproduction are considered). From what I have read online, "subspecies" is the taxonomic rank below species (ex. the subspecies Panthera pardus pardus is native to Africa while Panthera pardus fusca is native to India and are genetically different enough to be considered separate subspecies).
Both Nassarius distortus and Nassarius margaritifer are pretty similar in size and function (consume decaying material and aerate the sandbed when they dig), but I have found Nassarius margaritifer to be much better at homing in on food, so it probably has a better sense of smell (as Nassarius eyes don't seem to be highly developed). I personally think Nassarius distortus is more beautiful, though.

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are species in the genus Nassarius (ex. the leopard (Panthera pardus) is in the genus Panthera alongside other cats like the lion (Panthera leo), individuals of the same species can mate with one another but the species concept becomes complicated when things like hybridization and asexual reproduction are considered). From what I have read online, "subspecies" is the taxonomic rank below species (ex. the subspecies Panthera pardus pardus is native to Africa while Panthera pardus fusca is native to India and are genetically different enough to be considered separate subspecies).
Both Nassarius distortus and Nassarius margaritifer are pretty similar in size and function (consume decaying material and aerate the sandbed when they dig), but I have found Nassarius margaritifer to be much better at homing in on food, so it probably has a better sense of smell (as Nassarius eyes don't seem to be highly developed). I personally think Nassarius distortus is more beautiful, though.
Oh gotcha, makes sense! So the 2 links I sent above are neither the distortus nor the margaritfier? I was going to order most of my livestock from that place cause they have great reviews and my LFS aren't the best. But perhaps I should find the snails elsewhere if somewhere else has better Nassarius?

Edit: My bad, you said 1 looks like the distortus and 2 the margaritfier.

Back