Best holy grail torch?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally understand what your saying. Think of it like guiding me to get the right one. I have already made up my mind for getting one and am now just asking questions for the right one.
I'd say if you're going to drop a grand on a torch, make a short list and try to see them in person. See which one you love the most. The "best" anything is totally subjective to the looker.

TSA is one of the biggest lineage torches. There's also a bunch of non TSA HG torches being passed off as them.

If you like the color pattern, go see some.

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree a cc24k is a great looking torch. Hopefully I'll add one to my system one day. However you don't need a lineage piece to get find those colors and brightness. Nearly all mines are wild that colored up over time and most were from online buys.
Screenshot_20230322_202943_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230322_202600_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230322_202550_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230322_202508_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230322_202455_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230322_202446_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230322_202424_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230322_202410_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230322_202348_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230322_202311_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230322_202340_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230322_202330_Instagram.jpg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not recommending you get one. I know nothing about your system. I love them enough to own one. I'm simply participating in the conversation around the best holy grail by opinion.

I have seen this colony in person. The photo is a bit too yellow, but it's a great color irl.

And the people at GSC are great!

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also....you can drop all the $$$$$ you want on a special coral...like the Holy Grail....just remember, as with all Coral...it will never look the same as it did at your LFS or online retailers once its in your tank...maybe, eventually, it will get close, but not for 6 months.

Me...I'm never paying $2k for a coral...my red torch with green tips was $60...and it's awesome!

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say if you're going to drop a grand on a torch, make a short list and try to see them in person. See which one you love the most. The "best" anything is totally subjective to the looker.

TSA is one of the biggest lineage torches. There's also a bunch of non TSA HG torches being passed off as them.

If you like the color pattern, go see some.
I agree with looking around. Right now I was thinking between asd and cornbreds. The reason I ask if one is better than the other is that I can get cornbreds for 500 and asd for 1k. Is asd really worth 500 more?

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then my question is gsd holy grail for 600 or asd for 1k. Anybody know anything what one is best value?
Honestly bro. Buy what your eyes enjoy seeing. It shouldn't matter what anyone else think. What exactly are you looking for in a torch? Are you just trying to buy a name or a color scheme?

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly bro. Buy what your eyes enjoy seeing. It shouldn't matter what anyone else think. What exactly are you looking for in a torch? Are you just trying to buy a name or a color scheme?
Two things I am looking for. Color and resale value. I am looking for one that I can re sell and make my money back and to afford more coral in the future. That doesn't mean I want to buy an ugly one though. That's why color matters.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s made it pretty clear that he just wants to buy whatever torch he thinks he can make the most money growing and fragging.

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if that is your end goal then find a cc24k. You will be spending 2k plus from a reputable caretaker and a long line to wait.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things I am looking for. Color and resale value. I am looking for one that I can re sell and make my money back and to afford more coral in the future. That doesn't mean I want to buy an ugly one though. That's why color matters.
Serious question: have you successfully kept any torches for at least 6 months yet? They’re easily the most difficult euphyllia to keep…

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not kept a torch coral for 6 months yet. I am keeping torches though.
I would make sure you’re getting good, consistent growth (as opposed to just staying alive) for your other torches before dropping this kind of money on one, if you’ve got your heart set on this plan. Just my 2 cents, cause they can look absolutely great for a couple months and then suddenly be only a skeleton a few days later for no discernible reason.

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure you’re getting good, consistent growth (as opposed to just staying alive) for your other torches before dropping this kind of money on one, if you’ve got your heart set on this plan. Just my 2 cents, cause they can look absolutely great for a couple months and then suddenly be only a skeleton a few days later for no discernible reason.
I agree with what you are saying. I believe my water quality is nutrient rich hence why I started this thread, I don't mind taking advice from others though. The only things that are off are alkalinity at 10dkh and ph at 7.8-7.9. I try to dose kalkwasser but it doesn't seem to go up.

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also any difference between holy grail and 24k holy grail?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 77 79.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.2%
Back