Best holy grail torch?

Coral Kai

Coral Kai Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
No lineages on these guys ... I would say just as good as the lineaged ones.... all 3+ heads. the middle one is closer to 7

1679689280160.png

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy sounds so pathetic . Best Buy for my money, most resale value, sounds more like a business corporate raider or house flipper. It’s what wrong with the hobby, someone getting a coral they know nothing about; just to hopefully cash in on it at some point

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy sounds so pathetic . Best Buy for my money, most resale value, sounds more like a business corporate raider or house flipper. It’s what wrong with the hobby, someone getting a coral they know nothing about; just to hopefully cash in on it at some point
Get some empathy. The reason I sound like what you call a "house flipper" and saying "I know nothing about it" is because this coral is expensive and I want to be able to get my money back from it. With you saying I'm not doing my research who says this isn't apart of my research? With you saying I know nothing is because I do know nothing about the holy grail. That's why I'm asking. I know it's a torch but I was wondering if it was like a subspecies of torch that was slower growing or harder to take care of. Take jawbreaker mushrooms and gmk zoas. They are both apart of a really easy to take care of species but they are somehow really hard to take care of. My final word to you is have empathy and keep an open mind when it comes to things.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my advice, take it or don’t.
Buy what catches your eye. My best growing torches were cheap ones. The expensive ones died. Don’t buy one that everyone wants hopefully to make money on it later. Get one you think looks awesome and if it grows and matures then maybe you can sell some frags. Also,
7834EC12-4B72-4978-908C-0EBC42BF30D6.jpeg
Look around for locals. I have a guy that sells coral in my neighborhood. 1/3 the cost of retail stores. Do they have a history you can trace back? No.. but they look cool. His hellfires, 24k’s and stuff are just as awesome in my tank as that $1000 online, difference is I paid 100 or less probably.The pic above is my “24k” as the lights were going down. I guess from my point of view, if it has the colors I want, who cares what the marketing name is?

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think anyone can guarantee you resell value lol, maybe next month they find some new weird coloured acro that is difficult to keep and those become the new craze, dropping prices in torches again... when i started this hobby torches were nearly worthless... its a very strange market is all i am saying

James w Lewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also....you can drop all the $$$$$ you want on a special coral...like the Holy Grail....just remember, as with all Coral...it will never look the same as it did at your LFS or online retailers once its in your tank...maybe, eventually, it will get close, but not for 6 months.

Me...I'm never paying $2k for a coral...my red torch with green tips was $60...and it's awesome!
Can I have a pic of that one please.

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what you are saying. I believe my water quality is nutrient rich hence why I started this thread, I don't mind taking advice from others though. The only things that are off are alkalinity at 10dkh and ph at 7.8-7.9. I try to dose kalkwasser but it doesn't seem to go up.
Yea 10dkh is pretty high man. I'm looking for a holy grail too . Like you I'm not sure which one I want yet but I know I'm getting one. I really want a FCA 24k holy grail or my buddy at KFC has his signature Starburst hg. The thing that holds me back is I would have to rehome one of the torches I have now to make room for it in my system. I get attached to my corals. I know I will eventually need to do this but there's still a lot to think about before I make that design. I would keep your alkalinity around 8dkh. Keep calcium around 400 mag at 1350. Keep your trace element in check that will help with growth and color. Especially with a holy grail. Give your torch around 300 par with medium indirect flow. Don't blast it with flow you will regret it. I have a huge 24k indo and a huge ny Knicks next to each other. This is 2 years of growth

Attachments

• 20230511_195117.jpg
    20230511_195117.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 112

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea 10dkh is pretty high man. I'm looking for a holy grail too . Like you I'm not sure which one I want yet but I know I'm getting one. I really want a FCA 24k holy grail or my buddy at KFC has his signature Starburst hg. The thing that holds me back is I would have to rehome one of the torches I have now to make room for it in my system. I get attached to my corals. I know I will eventually need to do this but there's still a lot to think about before I make that design. I would keep your alkalinity around 8dkh. Keep calcium around 400 mag at 1350. Keep your trace element in check that will help with growth and color. Especially with a holy grail. Give your torch around 300 par with medium indirect flow. Don't blast it with flow you will regret it. I have a huge 24k indo and a huge ny Knicks next to each other. This is 2 years of growth
Those are looking awesome

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would just look for something that catches your eye. Expecting to buy a named torch, then get good resale isn't a realistic goal in my opinion. The price of corals change daily, plus you'll have to get your reputation up for people to even consider buying from you. @SBB Corals has some great hgs and Torches also.

Here's my SBB torch rock for example. I like these better than any hg I've seen in person so far. These are all just 'cheap' Torches. But I think they look better than some $600+ Torches I've seen

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking into it, I am just looking into a tiger, fca jester, or something else. Any opinions? My lfs don't carry that much euphyllia so I have never seen any nice torches in person.

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Echoing what others have already said above, buy what you like, don't buy for resale value, sure it helps but you can buy non super expensive pieces, grow and sell them for the same money, doesn't have to be at 1k a pop. I have a tank full of high end sps, lps and bounce mushrooms. I also don't pay retail pricing being a member of a local club and also don't price gouge the next hobbyist. I just sold two OG Bounces for a great deal, much less than 1 at retail. I have holy grails, dragon souls, Indo golds, Malaysian golds, Rapunzel's, tigers etc. Would it be nice to sell things for top dollar, absolutely but things that command higher prices usually come with harder to keep corals. I just tossed a fat 3 head hg and 2 heads of Rapunzel due to bjd. I've been keeping corals since 2004 and sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. Good luck on your endeavors.

If my dog wasn't passed out on my lap right now, I'd send some better pics.

PXL_20231001_013919714.MP.jpg

Last edited:

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my CC24K is the best. However full disclosure, I am impartial to my original CoralCruze Mother colony 19.jpg

Attachments

• VN20221230_014312.mp4
    44.4 MB
  • VN20221226_182409.mp4
    34.3 MB

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 86 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back