Best LED lighting for 72x18x22 125 gallon

Bronx19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulbs are nothing, $24 each. You can run it for years before you even break even.

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As I understand it, people say you replace the bulbs every 6 months. With a minimum of 6 bulbs, that's a little under $300/year in bulbs... That just feels like a lot and makes LED's feel like less despite the upfront cost.

Last edited:

Bronx19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change bulbs once per year. Over driven/hot running bulbs need changing every 6-9, ATI cools them well.

How about a second hand Giesemann Spectra? Uses more power but the upfront savings would be enormous.

chamjack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
36B01AC8-5CA5-4C1C-981C-61EAB9B34E44.jpeg
6B826F53-AF02-486D-8E01-4312FD971891.jpeg
Two 24” Reefbreeders Photons V2’s will be plenty unless you are going all out SPS. Keeps you right under $700. I switched to these two years ago from an 8 bulb T5 setup that I ran for about 6 years prior. Here’s my 125 about a month ago.

This is at only 45% intensity too.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to costs, I'm probably going with the current orbit marine ic pro which is 2 of their lights and their loop system along with their wavemakers. I figure I'll have to upgrade or supplement eventually but they make a 72 inch light, for under 500. Add 3 or 4 brackets to that. It also has the ramp up and down which I wanted and the cheap black boxes do not. Just can't do a thousand for lights right now. Reviews and opinions are a mix from those who say not enough, to those who have who say they are great.

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Two 24” Reefbreeders Photons V2’s will be plenty unless you are going all out SPS. Keeps you right under $700. I switched to these two years ago from an 8 bulb T5 setup that I ran for about 6 years prior. Here’s my 125 about a month ago.

This is at only 45% intensity too.

Is the center shadow as pronounced in person as it looks in the photos? Not trying to be critical and I definitely understand the center brace but in the photos it looks like the intensity spectrum is pretty dramatically different across the tank. I suspect it may be the way the center brightness is blowing out the photo exposure though.

I ask as this was my intended route.

chamjack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shadowing in the pic looks nothing like that to the eye. Those were iPhone 8 pics. Where the pic shows heavy shadows, it is slightly shaded in person. The picture makes it look so pronounced, I believe like you said, the lights are killing the photo exposure. I will see if I can try to get a pic with a different phone for you of the center.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed my Photon V2 48" yesterday! VERY NICE! lots of light and I love the wireless remote! Also Logan at Reef Breeders has been a tremendous with his customer service! @Reef Breeders

chamjack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
956BB103-E556-4FC5-81CC-B6130EF61252.jpeg
[QUOTE="Logan at Reef Breeders has been a tremendous with his customer service! @Reef Breeders[/QUOTE]

He was great with me too! I was on the fence and didn’t want to buy twice. He answered all my questions and was really helpful. There is so much info and opinions on lights, it’s going to come down to what’s pleasing to your eye and what you want to spend.

This pic (iPhone 7) is pretty close to what I see of the brace shadowing in person that I am able to get in a picture. If you look across the top of the hammer coral you can see the brace shadowing. The brace is only about a 1/2” above the waterline. The underside is shadowing from the hammer coral. Those fish are each roughly 6” long for size comparison. Again, the real dark area under the coral is no where near that to the eye, but the shadow on the top of the hammer is about the color difference. Compare the favia on the sand, it’s basically under the brace also for shadowing. You can see how the sand is lit. Sorry I can’t take a better pic for you. LEDs really mess with photos if you can’t adjust for the brightness. Not trying to confuse you more, but hope this helped;)

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This pic (iPhone 7) is pretty close to what I see of the brace shadowing in person that I am able to get in a picture. If you look across the top of the hammer coral you can see the brace shadowing. The brace is only about a 1/2” above the waterline. The underside is shadowing from the hammer coral. Those fish are each roughly 6” long for size comparison. Again, the real dark area under the coral is no where near that to the eye, but the shadow on the top of the hammer is about the color difference. Compare the favia on the sand, it’s basically under the brace also for shadowing. You can see how the sand is lit. Sorry I can’t take a better pic for you. LEDs really mess with photos if you can’t adjust for the brightness. Not trying to confuse you more, but hope this helped;)

Definitely! Thanks for the extra effort showing this!

Piranha76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have a 125 gallon FOWLR tank and I am planning to switch to coral. I currently have 2 Edge Aqualife Reef LED lights over my 125 gallon tank, I contacted the company and they told me I would need two more. What are your thoughts?

Piranha76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have a 125 gallon FOWLR tank and I am planning to switch to coral. I currently have 2 Edge Aqualife Reef LED lights over my 125 gallon tank, I contacted the company and they told me I would need two more. What are your thoughts?

Piranha76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
956BB103-E556-4FC5-81CC-B6130EF61252.jpeg
[QUOTE="Logan at Reef Breeders has been a tremendous with his customer service! @Reef Breeders

He was great with me too! I was on the fence and didn’t want to buy twice. He answered all my questions and was really helpful. There is so much info and opinions on lights, it’s going to come down to what’s pleasing to your eye and what you want to spend.

This pic (iPhone 7) is pretty close to what I see of the brace shadowing in person that I am able to get in a picture. If you look across the top of the hammer coral you can see the brace shadowing. The brace is only about a 1/2” above the waterline. The underside is shadowing from the hammer coral. Those fish are each roughly 6” long for size comparison. Again, the real dark area under the coral is no where near that to the eye, but the shadow on the top of the hammer is about the color difference. Compare the favia on the sand, it’s basically under the brace also for shadowing. You can see how the sand is lit. Sorry I can’t take a better pic for you. LEDs really mess with photos if you can’t adjust for the brightness. Not trying to confuse you more, but hope this helped;)[/QUOTE]

You got a tank pic update? Looks sweet as is , hows the growth?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back