Best led out there please help

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not quoting neptune in that statement. I'm quoting people I personally know that have the Sky. Also melevs reef. I don't think 3 xr30s would work over a 400 gallon tank
They'd work basically the same as three Skys, only better spectrum... The manufacture's own spread guidelines are almost exactly the same.

Edit... Melev's reef has never said 3 radions won't work on his tank, by the way, he just likes his 3 sky... Which i am sure he got a nice deal on, got to hangout with a buddy doing what he loves, and also got to promote his youtube channel...

Last edited:

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

They'd work basically the same as three Skys, only better spectrum... The manufacture's own spread guidelines are almost exactly the same.

Edit... Melev's reef has never said 3 radions won't work on his tank, by the way, he just likes his 3 sky... Which i am sure he got a nice deal on, got to hangout with a buddy doing what he loves, and also got to promote his youtube channel...
He likes his three Neptune Sky because he received them for free. There is a video of him and Terrence from Neptune installing them.

His tank has took a dive since taking his original MH off. It looks nothing like it did. So I hope those free lights were worth losing a lot of that beautiful tank.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He likes his three Neptune Sky because he received them for free. There is a video of him and Terrence from Neptune installing them.

His tank has took a dive since taking his original MH off. It looks nothing like it did. So I hope those free lights were worth losing a lot of that beautiful tank.
I think Melev did a redo on the tank and yes put up Skys. He had some bad salt that caused the die off. The Skys are working for him. The acros are growing. I have followed his channel. Whether the skys are worse or better than metal halides--i think we all know the pretty dang obvious answer there... But Melev is unlikely to say that and to be fair the Skys are working just fine for him and he won't have heat issues....

If he got the Skys for free, he's well known and a staple in this hobby, and that's great for him. Obviously, take that into account when he espouses an opinion about the Skys and understand and take into account he produced an infomercial for them... (not criticizing melev here in any way... just saying the obvious about perceived bias).

Regardless, this thread is about the "best". If a light ain't got premium spectrum and charges a premium price, not only is it not the best, it's overpriced. I don't think i need comment on Neptunes hardware and manufacturing quality... just search posts of its stuff breaking...

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The truth is, their is no BEST, just what you like and gravitate to.

Some like Kessils, while, I like the Radion G5 Blues. As far as spread and Par, the G5 has pushed the envelope. I have 4 in my Hybrid on my 225 gal tank, and have a 5th to install. I am not sure if I really need to install the 5th as I get a even 200 Par on the bottom with my T5's on and my G5 Blues, running the AB+ spectrum and at 50 percent intensity.

We all have our favorites, its just the nature of light manufacturers.

I can not speak for Kessils and Orpheks, as I have never owned either. I do know they are good lights.
What height from water level?

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run Red Sea reefleds made for corals

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am roughly 10" off the top water surface. This is where a Par meter helps.
I've already plotted it all out at 10" above wl. Was thinking of raising them to 14" above and increasing from max 50% (2 x g5xr30 Pros) to Max 75%

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've already plotted it all out at 10" above wl. Was thinking of raising them to 14" above and increasing from max 50% (2 x g5xr30 Pros) to Max 75%
What is your Par readings?

Do you have a local club that you can rent one from?

Why are you looking to change?

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want the best leds out there for a mixed reef. Money isn’t an option just want to buy the best and be done with it. Radions, hydras, primes, photons, orphek, kessil what should I get and why? I have a 125 gallon tank. Thanks!!
The ATI Straton is simply the best LED fixture out there. Then there are the rest Sky, Radion ...

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ATI Straton is simply the best LED fixture out there. Then there are the rest Sky, Radion ...
What makes them the best in your opinion? How do you define best?

I got into a debate recently with someone saying "Kessil is the best... because... science" tried to tell me "Lights are made in-house, no mass-produced Chinese LEDs" "They have Nobel Peace winning scientists" "Kessil logic" etc, etc. Citing a bunch of buzzwords from a couple of news articles. However, every single one of those can be dismissed with a scrutinous eye.

I am of the opinion that no light is the best. With the exception of Kessil (And possibly Samsung), all of the big-name lighting manufacturers use a mixture of OSRAM and CREE LEDs (there are a few who use cheaper manufacturers for the whites, reds, and greens, but the blues and purples are usually OSRAM or CREE). They nearly all use the same wavelength LEDs from these manufacturers in different mixture proportions. The only real innovation(s) that the various Lighting manufacturers are bringing to the table are the software, layout, wireless connectivity, and lenses.

So how do you really define a "best" light? It seems really impossible when the meaningful parts are all the same.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back