Best lionfish for a 130?

Patrick M Bodega Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am interested in eventually getting a lionfish in the future but not sure which one would be the best. This would be my first saltwater aquarium but I do have freshwater experience. I don't plan on getting a lionfish as my first saltwater fish but I always like to plan out and learn what I can for when the day comes. The fish would be in a 130g and I was wondering what other people's idea is on this. So far my favorite is the volitan lionfish but I am a bit worried about lack of space. For tankmates I would want some kind of eel is possible. Some ideas I had were snowflake, zebra moray, or jeweled moray. Is there another kind of tankmate, eel or not, that you'd recommend? Without tankmates in mind, which kind of lionfish would be the best for that size tank? Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fu manchu
Radiatus
Dwarf

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you would be fine with a volitan lionfish in that size tank. They grow to be a relatively large fish, but are also very inactive so the size tank needed for their size is fairly small. As for tank mates, many years ago I kept one with a snowflake eel and it was never an issue. As for keeping any other tankmates I can not help, since I only had the two, but remember the lionfish will see any fish that it can eat as a possible meal.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a zebra, dwarf fuzzy and antenatta in with 2 snowflake eels and 2 butterflies.
In a 75
Any fish that is wide and flat will do fine like a tomini tang.
I would not get a Volitan. They have a very large mouth.
It is very likely you will have to keep live food for them at least for a while like ghost shrimp and guppies.

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a zebra, dwarf fuzzy and antenatta in with 2 snowflake eels and 2 butterflies.
In a 75
Any fish that is wide and flat will do fine like a tomini tang.
I would not get a Volitan. They have a very large mouth.
It is very likely you will have to keep live food for them at least for a while like ghost shrimp and guppies.
For as far as feeding live, is this exclusively for the volitan or for most lionfish?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For as far as feeding live, is this exclusively for the volitan or for most lionfish?
It's all mine will eat.
IMG_3739-L.jpg

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My volitan eats everything, thing eats chunks of nori now, anything that floats by, but leaves live fish alone, thing is roughly 13"... odd case. 2" anthias in the tank... 1"
damsels.

My previous ones ate every small fish that came by, one met its demise eating a odd small venomous fish. It was years ago, and I can not remember what fish it was.

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Does anyone think it would be overstocking to do two snowflake eels and a volitan or would it be best to stick with one lionfish and one snowflake?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of a 130 gallon? P volitans get pretty large.

LAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am interested in eventually getting a lionfish in the future but not sure which one would be the best. This would be my first saltwater aquarium but I do have freshwater experience. I don't plan on getting a lionfish as my first saltwater fish but I always like to plan out and learn what I can for when the day comes. The fish would be in a 130g and I was wondering what other people's idea is on this. So far my favorite is the volitan lionfish but I am a bit worried about lack of space. For tankmates I would want some kind of eel is possible. Some ideas I had were snowflake, zebra moray, or jeweled moray. Is there another kind of tankmate, eel or not, that you'd recommend? Without tankmates in mind, which kind of lionfish would be the best for that size tank? Thanks!
Dwarf or zebra

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back