Best Nano protein skimmer?

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any advice for filtering 25 gallons on eventual heavy bio load? I have a Waterbox peninsula mini 25 which has a protein skimmer chamber that is 6.8” by 3.1”. This rules out the Tunze 9004 and the IceCap K1-50. Would a regular media setup (GFO, carbon) combined with a Tunze 9001 be enough for a heavy bio load?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the 9001. I have 2 9001DCs on BioCubes in the office and they have been my favorite nano skimmer I have tried. I don't believe the other skimmers perform better or worse but every other skimmer I have tried has been a pain to dial in but the 9001 is set and forget. Just keep the water level consistent.

Evan1000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eshopps nano skimmer. Been using it for a year and some change with no problems
Are you using the old model of the eshopps nano skimmer or the new model? I have heard fantastic things about the old one but not much about the new one. I am currently looking for a good replacement for the nano skimmer that came with my aquatop 40 so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Evan1000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquamaxx NF-1. Best nano skimmer I’ve ever used (and I’ve used a fair few). Would fit your dimensions.
Thanks! I will look into that! One question though, do you know if the out side magnet is reef safe? Or if I can change the positioning? Because with my tank I do not have 4 inches in length so I would have to have it facing towards the next chamber.

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the old model of the eshopps nano skimmer or the new model? I have heard fantastic things about the old one but not much about the new one. I am currently looking for a good replacement for the nano skimmer that came with my aquatop 40 so any recommendations would be appreciated.
yes the old one. Everyone seems to be having problems with the new gen specifically the magnet strength.

Evan1000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes the old one. Everyone seems to be having problems with the new gen specifically the magnet strength.
Thanks for the information! Where did you find the information about people having magnet strength issues? I have looked around but could not find anything about the new model.

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Evan1000 here in r2r. They were claiming that the skimmer will eventually slide down due ro the weak magnets. I was suppose to buy the new one but, not after those reviews. Either way, I think the old gen is a tad cheaper compared to the new one.

Bmartinez76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using the Innovative Marine Desktop NuvoSkim DC Protein Skimmer - Innovative Marine
on a 20 gal and it worked great, it is DC motor. It fit in the small sections after the filter socks without any mods. I am selling it now since I broke down that tank. PM me if interested.

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just broken in my Eshopps nano, very quiet and only had the micro bubbles for a couple days. Honestly not sure if it is the old or new version. I paid $140 for it, and it seems solid thus far.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back